PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Saratoga and Jacks

wakd
18-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Folks,
Not heading up to Awoonga again until Easter next year, but already dreaming about it, and hoping someone might be able to give me some pointers. I would really like to target Saratoga, but have no idea where to start. Should I be heading way up river to find them? Are there lilies up stream? Last time we mainly fished the main basin (for barra obviously). Also wondering if there are any tips for finding Jacks? I suspect its just pure luck finding a jack while targeting barra - is anyone local up there targeting jacks and getting them regularly yet?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Ben

the_matrix
18-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Ben,
Toges are not a viable target in Awoonga. There are a few in the feeder creeks but there is a lot of water between them.
If you really need to, Futter ck far reaches has a very small population as does Iveragh and Riverstone.
Seriously if you want 'Toga head to Cania first, theres plenty of them in there.

Jacks????
The best tip I can give you is fish for Barra.
You have a WAY better chance of catching a Toga.
Cheers
Jas

wakd
18-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Jas,
Thanks for the info mate. I kinda figured the jacks were pot luck! We'll be at Awoonga for two weeks, so might try heading up the creeks at some stage. Can't wait till they work out how to stock Jacks in big numbers...
Cheers,
Ben

barkers creek
18-09-2007, 06:45 PM
biggest jack every cought in the dam was on the right hand side of the boat ramp off the bank by a woman..last time i check was when i did work exsperiance out the dam and there had only been 3 jack reported...............dads mate manage to get 2 saratogo in one trip ..rite up the back near the railway bridge ....theres an old water tank there and alot of lillies....

hops this helps cheers

cammo79
18-09-2007, 06:47 PM
we saw a huge one up top of the boyne past the bush camp, but that was last year, dont know how much water is up there.

on the way up there are some awsome looking cliffs, if i was chasing jacks it would be worth a look.

Tropicaltrout
18-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Had a Jack come right up to the boat on the first trip was amazed but diddn't grab the lure, but it really gave all in the boat a sence of ore of just where we were fishing, Awoonga is that lake where you fish for barra and you never know a jack could be the second prize not bad for a runner up.

TT

wheezer
19-09-2007, 12:03 AM
yes better dams to target toga such as cania or borumba. my mate nailed a good toga on a 6" barra lure off timber not far off the main basin a year or 2 ago...