PDA

View Full Version : keeping fish alive with a kayak

nuggstar
17-09-2007, 07:17 PM
i have just got a kayak not to long ago and i have been getting some great fish from it but im having trubble of thinking of a way how i can keep my fish alive with it as there is no room for a live well or in it, my be there is something i can tow but wont slow me down to much, i catch bream and bass must of the time and thats what i wanna keep alive so i can relase them latter or at a different spot

Roughasguts
17-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Was thinking the same Yesterday, just after I bought my first Yak and took it for a paddle. Anyway was thinking a net with a draw string attached to a lanyard should do the trick. Just hang it of the yak easy.

tunaticer
17-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Stringers are available in lots of tackle outlets these days. Be sure to get the ones with stainless oversized snaps with swivels built in. Some brands only have chrome without the swivels and the fish tie themselves up in the main cord quite quickly.

Jack.

oldboot
17-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Just dont go anywhere wher there is anything real large or you and the yack will look like a very large bobby float:o :o .

have you thaught about making a little raft or boat to follow you around.

a little bay catamaran made out of pvc drain pipe would work if you could streamline the pipes a bit;D

cheers

Roughasguts
18-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Not a bad idea Old boot. Might do that for me battery when I set the Yak up for prawning in the lake. Cause me other idea of tying the battery to me leg, could be a bit dodgy.

Little grey men
18-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Was thinking the same Yesterday, just after I bought my first Yak and took it for a paddle. Anyway was thinking a net with a draw string attached to a lanyard should do the trick. Just hang it of the yak easy.

Scary thought, You'd want to be able to paddle faster than a bull shark can swim.
Make a good cartoon i think ;)

johnlikes2fish
18-09-2007, 01:57 PM
a lot of kayak fishos use 3-4 ft of pvc pipe with screw cap ends and holes drilled through it also serves a live bait well you can attach to the yak via a length of rope or if you attach a brick/anchor/weight you can leave it and return as the need arises, if you go akff or kfdu you will find lots of examples of live wells from the most simple to fully plumbed set ups.

B_E_N
18-09-2007, 04:03 PM
how about getting an old foam body board, attaching it to the back of your yak and putting an old esky on it with a pump, should still float and wont give you any resistance or extra weight, but you may want to alter it so it will stay upright in rough conditions

nuggstar
18-09-2007, 06:48 PM
thanks guys you's have given me some idears