PDA

View Full Version : Dob in a Drunk or Dangerous Boat / Jetski Skipper??

Chimo
17-09-2007, 06:58 PM
:-[ Hi All

Not happy to be even suggesting this but things are getting out of hand. I'm referring to Qld here but it probably also applies elsewhere too. Never dobbed in anyone in my life but.....>:(

Perhaps its time and we all need to be a little more pro-acative so we can make the waters we want to keep using a lot safer.

I hesitate to say it but maybe the time has come for people with a little common sense to use their mobile phones to alert the authorities when obviously dangerous boating / jetskiing activity is being witnessed.

It could be argued that as reasonable citizens we would be protecting ourselves and our families as well as limiting the knee jerk over-reactions that all this marine carnage has the potential to cause.

It would not, I think, be out of order to dial 000 to report such life threatening activity.

In fact these fools are every bit as dangerous as an individual pointing a firearm; and we know the response that the authorities take in those circumstances.

I'd be interested to hear your feeback and particularly interested in comment from officers in the responsible agencies as well as the various Ministerial reps.

So bring it on............

Cheers
Chimo :-[ GOM

PS we might even see a few more patrols at boat ramps so our trailers may even be there when we get back::)

bastard
17-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Do you think the authorities would actually turn up?not only that i reckon 60 percent of boaties would be over the limit,most of these would be at anchor but the behavior that goes on at tipplers on board anchored boats its down right stupid.

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I dont think triple 0 is the right way to go but i do agree on a hotline. But the B and F Patrol have a hotline and half the time u ring to report illegal fishing their is no operator available for the call OR no one to come out and investigate. A hotline would be good but i dont think it will work because of funding to man a call centre and the Water Police or B and F Patrol are understaffed to start with.

manchild
17-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Im with you on this on this 100%.The same day at Bribie had a jatskier in the surf coming 2 metres from me standing on the shore with a rod in my hand just for fun:o .Then he had a good laugh at me .Why?My kids were swimming some 20 metres away only.This bozo could have hit them as they quite small and almost invisible in the surf.
George
Guess who carved a big finger on their 4wd 's bonnet ?Yes this idiots only launched about 300-400 metres from us ,so wasnt hard to found out where they parked.

russ81
17-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Hows it going mate

There is a scheme to dob in people already all it takes is to fill out the form and send it in. action can sometimes be slow but most cases are checked out especially it endangers other people.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb59d20ff992c79/Pdf_f3071.pdf

Marine whistleblowers hotline

Maritime Safety Queensland is concerned when a ship is operated in a way that:

endangers marine safety; or
threatens the environment through ship-sourced pollution such as oil, sewage and garbage.What to report
You can help make Queensland waters safer by reporting:
unsafe operators
speeding
unseaworthy ships
potential discharge of ship-sourced pollution
contravention of the marine pollution or marine safety legislation.How to report
Telephone +61 7 3120 7496a and leave a message that will be recorded. The more details you provide to us, the better chance Maritime Safety Queensland has of protecting the marine environment and its users. If you want a return telephone call, leave your name and contact telephone number. Under the Acts, your details will remain confidential.

Cheers
Russ

KAGEY1
17-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Too Right, Chimo. But Don't Ring 000. That Is For Immediate Danger, Not The Potential To Be Dangerous! Dob In A Dropkick Should Be The Order Of The Day.

Hamish73
17-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Not quite sure how you can pick a drunk on the water, unless you see them swilling. I have a lot of mates with jet skiis and most of them are responsible. It comes back to 'the actions of a few spoil for the rest'
I had a similar discussion with my mate when coming back from straddy yesterday. It came down to 'i'll knock you out before I let you drive this boat when you are drunk' which might sound a bit harsh, but it's the way it's got to be if you ask me.
Makes you wonder when there is an incident and the driver is tested as BAC of 0, was he actually driving when the incident happened? Another can of worms

Chimo
17-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi Hamish

I don't care if they are drunk or not; if they are driving in such a way as to put others at risk at the time them that when action needs to be taken.

I have a feeling that the QPS is likely to be a little sensitive as are the pollies given the non response on the GC recently that led to a death.

Please advise me of the difference in threat. When a call is made and recorded, as they are on, 000 and a person is subsequently injured or worse what do you think the outcome might be? Don't forget the powers of the Qld Coroner to investigate are significant and you don't need a death for the office to get involved.

Sorry H but I'm not happy Jan!

Cheers
Chimo