PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer light setup

yamp
16-09-2007, 11:36 PM
looking for advice on boat trailer light setup,I have got a redco with the standard submersible light that come on 4.5m trailer,seems every time I go to use it something goes wrong with lights blown bulbs and blowning fuses.I have been thinking of what would be the best solution to save hassles every time you got out having to stuff around with lights. I have though about getting some brackets made to keep lights high up out of the water or maybe just changing to led type lights any advice or pics etc greatly appreciated cheer yamp

2rods
17-09-2007, 04:42 AM
I use to have issues with tail lights up this way due mainly to our dirt roads..... but I went to a light board and that fixed the problem....BUT it left me with another problem....What to do with a dirty sh*ty light board when I got to my fishing location....I didn't like putting it in the back of my 4x4 wagon...so...

Hella LED lights are the best option..not cheap but I had them on the last trailer for 2 years with no issues... the current boat trailer for the last few months....and on my camper trailer for the last 3 years with no issues...

They realy are worth the $$$ but make sure you get the HELLA ones..not the cheapo ones as they corrode after 12 months or so.. also when you fit them solder the conections and heat shrink them as well... that way they will last for ever....

finga
17-09-2007, 06:53 AM
LED's are the go.
Installed correctly they'll last a long time and you don't have that extra hassle at the ramp.
Cheers Scott :)

rayken1938
17-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Go for the leds. The plastic light boards just dont make it on rough roads. They wear through the grommets that you attach the mounting ropes to and fall off.
They are also a pain in the proverbial to stow after traveling on muddy roads.
Ray

Reef_fisher
17-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Had the same problem with problem lights. My boat has a hand hold at both rear corners. I made up two timber mounts big enough to just fit the lights on that clip and lock over handles with locking clip. Just used normal trailer lights. The lead just sits in the boat. Takes exactly 20seconds to take off. Never had a light problem since. If I did I could work on them on my bench instead of lying on the ground. Added bonus was I used them on another trailer that had dodgey lights.

yamp
17-09-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks for all the replys fellas,had alook a lights tonight corroision on bulb holders etc think I will bite the bullet and go for some leds,any brand you can reccommend,had a look on ebay,couple of ebay stores seem ok prices $40 to $90 bucks per set,2 rods what sort of dollars for a hella set and can't find them on the net,do they just deal through retailers? thanks again cheers Yamp

TheSaint
18-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Go the LED's mate I did about 4 months ago & wouldn't have anything esle on a trailer now. I got a pair slimline ones off ebay for $50 & they work a treat..