PDA

View Full Version : Keeping boat secure when camping

Timmy94
16-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi guys, im after advice on keeping our tinnie secure when we are camping at mission point on bribie, We will be keeping our car and trailer at donnybrook and going over for 3nights with all our gear, Now how do we keep our boat secure when we are asleep at night? Also what would be the best way to anchor because we will have low tide at about 10-11-12pm each night. So how should we work it. Btw is their anything we can do other than padlock the chain and the quick hitch for trailer security? Thanks

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Anyone? It is boat only access so what do we do? BTW Boat is 3.9 seasprite with 25pull start Johnson and tides are 1, 2 and 3.30am High.
So any suggestions?

bundylundy
17-09-2007, 05:51 PM
For securing the boat, long chain and 2 padlocks. Lock 1 end to boat and end around a tree. Always use a back anchor when anchoring at shoreline.

Jeff.

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeh we will be using back anchor. I dont think it will be possible to chain because the trees will be atleast 30 metres away and 30 metres of chain is just to heavy and bulky. Im still unsure.

tunaticer
17-09-2007, 06:15 PM
G'day Tim,

If I was gonna be anchoring overnight there at Mission Pt I would take a light stainless cable with thimbles each and and some small light padlocks. Go round a tree and around something on the stern of your boat. Place out a good bow anchor well into the channel and not near the edge of the dropoff there. Worst case scenario is in the morning your boat will be facing towards the channel and possibly resting the tail on the sand. At least it will be the right way around.

Another good way of securing is to take an old car rim over and bury that bugger at low tide well into the sand as a sacrificial anchor. They will never move once buried about 40cm under the sand.

I would opt for a stainless cable about 3 or 4mm diameter because over there who is going to have a decent pair of cable cutters in their back pockets? Lots lighter less noisy and lots easier to stow for next time you will use it.

I would also be more concerned about what you have inside the boat than the boat itself. Rods and tackleboxes and sounders are lots easier to lift and walk away with. I've lost several items while camping there over the yrs. These days I camp at Lime Pocket, just that lil bit further away from the rabble usually.

Jack.

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 06:27 PM
So you have had trouble with theifs? We will be midweek in holidays. Ohh well the boat is 15years old and is insured so if it is stolen we get a new boat. Is their mobile phone reception? Dont wanna be stuck over their without a boat.

tunaticer
17-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Mobile reception is no problem there at Mission Point. MP usually packs out most weekends and on school holidays.

As i said before the Lime pocket area is a better base camp for a short stay. It might not have a beach like MP but the channel is right at the waters edge. Fish from the bank in that channel with live hardiheads and you will get sick and tired of the big bream taking your baits. The fishing and the crabbing is lots better at Lime Pocket.
Theiving is a rare event there but from time to time it does happen like almost anywhere. I would just be making sure the rids and tackle boxes are beside the tent at night and the sounder has at least got a hand towel over it.

Jack.

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Probly woulda gone to limepocket, its just that it doesnt have the facilities of mission point. O well. BTW Do you know any good Yabbie Banks near mission point?

tunaticer
17-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Straight accross the channel from MP there is a small and large island, between those two is a huge set of yabby beds and heaps of soldier crabs. I sometimes take a mixture of both and run both baits. With the soldier crabs the big blue ones go into the berley bin and the little black ones go two or three to a hook for big whiting.

Jack.

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks mate, do you reckon you'd do any good off the beach at dusk?

tunaticer
17-09-2007, 09:57 PM
All dependant on the tide stages there. I generally walk up the passage pasthe the little creek and the mud bank and fish the shallows at the start of the big sandbar that separates lime pocket from Mission Point. On a rising tide this area gets a good going over by the whiting and bream and flathead. can often match the catches anywhere in the passage from the boat by wading this area for an hour or so on the rise.
Mission beach will provide the odd bream is about all.
The little feeder creek on the northern end of MP at full tide is good for a wade around with a landing net scooping up mudcrabs in the shallows. Got many a feed from there.

Jack.

Timmy94
17-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks heaps mate.

chas2
17-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Timmy94,

Im in the same postion as you re. camping with tinnie.

I posted a very similar question on here a couple of weeks ago. Useful info i got in the replies included removing the lanyard from motor, fitting a switch under the cowl of the motor to stop it being started and also a padlock to lock the motor in lifted postion out of the water.

I like the idea of a thin steal cable rather than a chain to secure the boat to a tree etc... how hard is that stuff to cut through?

Anyone any other ideas?

Charles