PDA

View Full Version : Another Tradgedy

Blackened
16-09-2007, 06:10 PM
G'day

Just heard on the news that a child has died in the pulmistone passage this afternoon.

Jet ski towing an inflatable.

NOT wanting a lock down or any stupid comments,

Facts are, this is the 5th fatality and third serious accident in weeks.... what the hell is going on?

Dave

mik01
16-09-2007, 06:18 PM
terrible,

one kid dead and another critical.

just terrible...

russ81
16-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Hows it going guys

tragic news especially being so young
From what I have heard the biscuit collided with a channel marker

My sympathies to all involved

Russ

Blackened
16-09-2007, 06:26 PM
G'day

Yeh, the news said it MAY have collided with the marker.

The driver of the ski had been drinking.

At the end of the day, maybe it is just a numbers game, like anything else. So much going on and so many people, a small percentage will have accidents and a smaller percentage will perish.

Dave

Fish Guts
16-09-2007, 06:36 PM
condolences to the familes and friends of the people killed/injured.

FNQCairns
16-09-2007, 06:36 PM
It is trully a shocker, the worst kind of accident, with hope the other child makes it back to full health in quick time.

Timmy94
16-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Just in on news.com.au It swerved to avoid another boat and the driver had been drinking. I had a mate who was tubing/wakeboarding up their today, hope it wasnt him. Shit His sister is 8 or 9

Anyway here is the report:

A NINE-year-old girl has died in a jet ski accident off Bribie Island, north of Brisbane.

The girl and a 10-year-old boy were reportedly riding on a rubber duckie, towed by a jet ski.
They were thrown into the water when the jet ski swerved to avoid another water craft, around 3pm (AEST).
The girl died at the scene, and the boy was airlifted to the Royal Brisbane Hospital in a critical condition, suffering head injuries.
Channel 9 has reported the man driving the jet ski was a friend of the children's parents, and had been drinking.
No further details were immediately available.

Seahorse
16-09-2007, 07:03 PM
isnt it law that u must have a lookout in ur boat if pulling a skier or a tube? if so how can u have a lookout person on a jet ski?

rossi
16-09-2007, 07:07 PM
isnt it law that u must have a lookout in ur boat if pulling a skier or a tube? if so how can u have a lookout person on a jet ski?

Pillion facing backwards.

Seahorse
16-09-2007, 07:14 PM
oh ok. just that i have seen tubes getting towed but never anyone sitting backwards. how safe is that for the pillion?

juju
16-09-2007, 07:18 PM
can see a gov Knee jerk reaction coming up...

Ron173
16-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Not good at all.

And whats end result gonna be.......??

just like gun laws.... all tightened up cos of the minority dheads.

End up we will all have to do another special licence or something at $$$$ because a few idiots cant behave within the rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drinking and in charge of a vessel, lock the prick up!!

Foxy4
16-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah this one is a real shocker. I reckon it could get worse during summer if this is and indication of that the weather is going to be like.

tigermullet
16-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Just tragic and so sad.

Where was the report of drinking - that might be just speculation.

No matter the reason the driver's life is ruined.

I don't think that we should judge.

Tailortaker
16-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Sadly I was there to wittness them trying to revive her, A sickening sight that I never wish to see again. A very sad day not only for Bribie but for All.
TT
________
Wellbutrin Settlement News (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Tailortaker
16-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Just tragic and so sad.

Where was the report of drinking - that might be just speculation.

No matter the reason the driver's life is ruined.

I don't think that we should judge.
No not speculation, Fact :-[
________
Find headshop (http://headshop.net/)

Scalem
16-09-2007, 07:51 PM
This is simply scary stuff and until we get enough water back in the dams, I'm going to keep my biscuit in the shed. Channel 7 said onlookers reported the jetskier seemed to manouver in a way to avoid other boat traffic. Being a father of 2 of a similar age, it hits home hard. Simply devastating. My prayers go out to all the family.

Scalem

tigermullet
16-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Oh dear. That is even more terrible.

We should still not judge - the penalty has already been paid and will continue to be paid by the person responsible.

How fragile life is.

Fish Guts
16-09-2007, 08:11 PM
well said tigermullet

haggis
16-09-2007, 08:34 PM
as tigermullet said we should not judge . at least not yet .
think about the little girl ,pray for the little boy & their family .
the driver will have enough problems of his own .

haggis .

Synful
17-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Sad situation guys, but it's a well known fact that peoples reactions are slowed when they have been drinking.

I think that there should be legislation that anyone driving a jet ski should have a 0.00 BAC. That way this sort of thing can be taken out of the equation of an unfortunate incident like this. You dehydrate so quickly on the water and alcohol doesn't help; couple that with delayed reaction times and it's a recipe for disaster :'(

Brooksy
17-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Definately a sad situation this one. The girl killed was the daughter of Russell Ferry who owns Hard'n Up and is very active within gamefishing circles. I can't imagine how Russell and Kim must feel atm but my heart goes out to them.
Jamie was a beautiful kid with a bright future. She will be missed by all.

Steve

Ron173
18-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Sad situation guys, but it's a well known fact that peoples reactions are slowed when they have been drinking.

I think that there should be legislation that anyone driving a jet ski should have a 0.00 BAC. That way this sort of thing can be taken out of the equation of an unfortunate incident like this. You dehydrate so quickly on the water and alcohol doesn't help; couple that with delayed reaction times and it's a recipe for disaster :'(

Why just a jet ski?

I think it should be zero for every skipper regardless, its only common sense.

I'm not anti alchohol, I love a stubbie or 6!! but I have mine once the boats back home, and so should everyone else.

Ron

Synful
18-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Why just a jet ski?

I'm not anti alchohol, I love a stubbie or 6!! but I have mine once the boats back home, and so should everyone else.

Ron

Yep!!!

Well said Ron, I thought about that after I had posted. In no way did I mean to single out Jet-Ski riders there.

I agree that if you're a skipper then you should have a 0.00 BAC level, like Ron said, it's only common sense and one that should be enforced.

disorderly
18-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Why just a jet ski?

Ron

I disagree Ron.
This is an extremely sad situation but why should you be able to drive to the ramp under 0.05 but not be able to operate a boat.
I have lately been enjoying having several beers on the return trip from the reef.
It takes an hour and a half or so and I enjoy 3 midstrength beers and remain under the limit to be able to operate both a boat and a motor vehicle upon my return.
Why should I be penalized for responsibly maintaining a legal level of sobriety just because others are fools and not able to control themselves?
Penalize those that break the law and leave the rest of us alone,please!

Scott

Flattie Assassin
18-09-2007, 09:00 PM

Well in the local paper it said No charges had been layed... Maybe they are just waiting to see what to exactly charge him with. But wouldn't you think they would have laid some charges if he had been drinking. I would say speculation at the moment.

oldboot
18-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I recon we will see some changes to boat licencing shortly.

Ownership and use of boats is sooo much higher these days and the amount of power and speed available is increasing the same as with motor vehicles.

I think it is reasonable for there to be special classes licences for various things like larger and higher powerd boats, higher powerd PWC's and specific licence for towing people behind boats.

zero BAC for boat skippers...... I can see a case for that.... afterall I recon there is far more skill and attention required to handle a boat propely than a car.

sad & unfortunate
I recon the pollies will already be talking about it....... one more like this and they will act for sure.

cheers

Synful
18-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I have lately been enjoying having several beers on the return trip from the reef.
It takes an hour and a half or so and I enjoy 3 midstrength beers and remain under the limit to be able to operate both a boat and a motor vehicle upon my return.
Why should I be penalized for responsibly maintaining a legal level of sobriety just because others are fools and not able to control themselves?
Penalize those that break the law and leave the rest of us alone,please!

Scott

Hi Scott,

In principle, I agree with you. Others shouldn't be penalised for a small groups indescretions. However, it is a well known fact the alcohol affects different people in different ways. :-/

I know people who can drink half a carton and still appear to be well under the limit; by the same token, I also know people whose speech becomes slurred after 1+ drinks and they obviously are not suited to getting behind the wheel or on the water yet would still be under the limit :o

It could be considered to be a "knee jerk reaction" that someone alluded to earlier in this thread but surely it is worth some consideration?

While you, me and hopefully the rest of the Ausfish community know their limitations, if it saves 1, 10 or 100 lives then removing the odd idiot who doesn't obey the law from the water (and as no charges have been laid yet, we can't ask that the jet ski pilot be treated in this way) has to be for the better. Of course it relies on the water police being more active as well to police the issue :-/

mik01
18-09-2007, 09:26 PM
no law will stop people drinking and driving - period.
whether its 0.5 or 0.0 - idiots will always break the law and endanger others.

why change it to 0.0 as the 0.1% of the population who do break the law will always break it regardless of whether it was 0.5 or higher?

disorderly
18-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Scott,

In principle, I agree with you. Others shouldn't be penalised for a small groups indescretions. However, it is a well known fact the alcohol affects different people in different ways. :-/

I know people who can drink half a carton and still appear to be well under the limit; by the same token, I also know people whose speech becomes slurred after 1+ drinks and they obviously are not suited to getting behind the wheel or on the water yet would still be under the limit :o

It could be considered to be a "knee jerk reaction" that someone alluded to earlier in this thread but surely it is worth some consideration?

While you, me and hopefully the rest of the Ausfish community know their limitations, if it saves 1, 10 or 100 lives then removing the odd idiot who doesn't obey the law from the water (and as no charges have been laid yet, we can't ask that the jet ski pilot be treated in this way) has to be for the better. Of course it relies on the water police being more active as well to police the issue :-/

I dont like to be the bearer of bad news Andrew, but the only boating incidents I have ever heard of are those where some bad event has occurred.
There are just not enough water police to be able to enforce the laws and as a result some people will continue to flaunt them with such a minute chance of being caught(except perhaps if they stuff up and create an incident) that I think it is just too big brother to try and stop every responsible skipper from having a legal brew or two.
I just dont see how added beaurocracy can stop the serious idiots out there.Currently there is just not enough funds or apparent desire from the powers to be to try and stem the idiot factor whether on the road or sea..
Even dobbing in these fools that we all regularly see will achieve what?....

Responsibility starts and ends with every one of us and all we can really do is too make sure that those in our circle understand the responsibility necessary to keep ourselves and those we care care for safe.
What more can we do?

Scott

Synful
18-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Responsibility starts and ends with every one of us and all we can really do is too make sure that those in our circle understand the responsibility necessary to keep ourselves and those we care care for safe.
What more can we do?

Scott

Too true Scott and 10/10 for your attitude there, your other comments ring true as well sadly.

I don't ever want to see the point where we require a "police state / Big Brother entity"; all the supposed hotlines from what I can gauge here on AusFish seem to be as effective as their manpower or budget which typically isn't much.

PinHead
19-09-2007, 04:53 AM
amazing how speculation can be rife on these tragedies..even the news reports can be incorrect...it appears the deceased child was riding on the jet ski not on whatever was being towed behind.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22442217-3102,00.html

this story says that the jet ski hit the channel marker

mik01
19-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Meanwhile, police are seeking a man who helped the injured at the accident, which happened at about 3.30pm.
He is believed to have been driving a green and white Mustang fibreglass boat about 5.5m long.
It is believed the man towed the vessel away with a white LandCruiser utility with ladder racks and tool boxes.
He is described as being of a solid build with short hair.
Police believe he may be able to provide information to assist investigations into the incident.
Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

anyone know who this is?

Tailortaker
31-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I just heard this on the radio so I checked it out online :

Police said today the man has been charged with one count each of unsafe operation of a ship causing death, unsafe operation of a ship causing grievous bodily harm and operate ship as a master without appropriate licence.

I had said in a previous post that alcohol was involved as another person at the scene told me this but obviously I was wrong so apologies for that.

Cheers TT
________
Extreme q (http://extremevaporizer.info)

Timmy94
31-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah i made a new post about it.....

revs57
31-10-2007, 06:06 PM
You called it Dave, tragedy!