PDA

View Full Version : Who takes their dog fishing?

ffejsmada
16-09-2007, 01:25 PM
I always have a chuckle to myself when I see a dog with his front paws on the bow of the tinnie, having a ball with his tongue drooling out.
I've been taking my little fella Harry out lately and he loves it!::)
Good crew too, just sits there, doesn't say a word and listens to everything you say.
I'm surprised at how many dogs I see on boats in the Noosa River.

Does your dog go fishing with you??

Cheers Jeff.

el_carpo
16-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I wish my dogs were as well behaved as your dog seems to be. I've got a crazy beagle who would try to pick fights with every fish, bird, insect, ........pretty much every living creature he sees and I've got a crazy mini schnauzer who would bark at and try to play with every wave on the water and would probably try to eat my lures. ::)

Two little knuckleheads but I love 'em.;) Can't take them fishing with me though. Too risky.

Cute dog you've got there Jeff!

Here are pics of mine.

beaross
16-09-2007, 01:58 PM
My dog Jess, loves the boat. Don't take her off shore, but she will come on short trips in the passage etc.

Funny watching her perplexed looks when we bring crab pots with crabs into the boat - she's not too sure what to make of them and has very nearly had a few claws attach to her nose!!:-[

fish_on
16-09-2007, 02:18 PM
yeah my ex girlfriend. she used to love getting out fishing. sitting up on the bow with its tongue hanging out. ha ha ha. anyway its great to see ya beloved pets getting out enjoying it too

Chas & Clarry
16-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Used to take our woofer (Ami; a golden labby) with us until she died of old age.

She loved it, and so did we.

Only problem we ever struck was when we were winter whiting fishing: she would sit with her head in the bucket watching the fish...then if we weren't watching she'd grab one and eat it!

But then she was a labby, so she also ate soap or anything else that remotely looked or smelt like food!!

tigermullet
16-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Not me. But, Jeff if you are surprised at the number of dog carrying boats on the Noosa River you should come down to Tiger Mullet channel (Jumpinpin) on any fine weekend.

Every second boat has one or more on board and they bark incessantly by day and night - except for those little white fluffy ones on board the Gin palaces. They yap and yap and yap. At everything. The only exception was a thing, on a Gin palace, that looked like it was a cross between a goat and a chupacabra. It snarled at everything.

(Chupacabras are mythical Chilean animals that suck goats to death. I suspect that one chupacabra got mixed up over what it was supposed to do and somehow the progeny visited Tiger Mullet channel.)

I catch bull sharks in that channel (just by accident) and release every one with the fervent prayer that they will find a meal should any woofer fall overboard.

It hasn't happened yet but I keep hoping. I wonder if bull sharks can be trained?

What's wrong with taking cats along. They're silent most of the time.

ffejsmada
16-09-2007, 04:32 PM
;D;D;DLOL You're a funny man Tigermullet!!!

the gecko
16-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Ive taken the lab a few times, but only in the day. Hed get too bored at night. Yes, hes eaten a few baits too, when I wasnt looking.

Andrew

wags on the water
16-09-2007, 06:19 PM
My brother used to take his dogs along for the ride. After a long day this is how they ended up.

Wags

Chas & Clarry
16-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Ive taken the lab a few times, but only in the day. Hed get too bored at night. Yes, hes eaten a few baits too, when I wasnt looking.

Andrew

Labs are fantastic dogs IMO but their greed can get them in trouble. When we were at the vet one time in Noosa a bloke came in with his black labby...they'd been out fishing and he'd taken the bait...complete with 4/0 hook. Well hooked in the lip poor old woofa:o , but sitting as happy as coud be getting lots of pats and sypathy in the vets waiting room

FNQCairns
16-09-2007, 06:54 PM
I used to take my dog all the time till she did a steaming heap on the back floor of my last tinny, none of it could just be picked up and no self draining deck!

Invited a mate for a fish not that long ago, he turned up with his 8month old pup, half way through fishing we had to up anchor and wot it to some sand, not an easy task in northern Aust, sand can be a long way away, I offered to drop the rat of a thing on the nearest mud bank for a wander:)

Visions of dog piddle ammonia/nitrate's, sitting in the carpet, dripping down past the ply onto the styrofoam then coating the bottom of the bare aluminium hull:'(, it was only the 3rd time out in my new boat.

cheers fnq

Foxy4
16-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Good one Beaross the jacket looks cool as well as serving the purpose.

eotbmg
16-09-2007, 08:56 PM
This is my hound Ellie flat out on a barra trip to Lake Monduran, she only wakes up when the barra get over a meter!!!!! She is a staffy who likes to go where ever you go so she doesn't miss out on the fishing although the middle of summer is too hot for her in the tinnie.
Ben12744

lenno3
16-09-2007, 10:00 PM
its great to see mans best friend out and about wetting a line my foxy/x loves to wet a line.but i have a little problem so does my 3 year old son. i have 2 may tangles when both come wife said that my foxy sit on his box and barkes till i get home if i dont take him.:P should get better as my son gets older8-)

AnthonyL
16-09-2007, 10:22 PM
We take ours and they love it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/clean1/june53beacons048.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/clean1/dadndogsboat3.jpg

major-defect
17-09-2007, 05:56 AM
I take my staffy smithfield cross out with us she loves it.She also has been known to steal the odd piece of pilly when your not looking.

finga
17-09-2007, 06:37 AM
My old dog 'Smokey Dog' (he's a New Zealand Border Collie X Kelpie and 15 now) used to go fishing with me out at Warwick but hated the boat.
He'd sit in the front seat of the ute and watch me (and the ute) until I came back.
I used to be able to leave the ute open and full of gear in those days.
He's at his retirement/holiday home with my Mom and Dad now.

Our curent dog, RoyBoy (Kelpie X bully or staffy or something hypo), is just too nutso/hypo to even put in the car let alone the boat :P

Marlin_Mike
17-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Have to agree finga, i cant see Roy in a boat.......hes way to hypo, he'd end up jumping out for a swim or jumping in and gettign ya fish at the side of the boat....should ya actually catch one ;D

Mike

Tropicaltrout
18-09-2007, 07:51 PM
When ever I can break away for a session on my own the dog comes along, they are great company out there on the water.

TT

Dr_Dan
18-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Depending on where fishing, as long as no handbags floating around, Sasha loves coming out for a fish. Any time real the line in, she gets all excited hoping there is a fish on the end that she can suss out. Took on a decent size sand crab the other weekend, crab won................;D

Richard
18-09-2007, 09:15 PM
If I'm just going out for a short session using lures I usually take my girls with me as well. They love it and always keep a keen eye on the cormorants and seagulls.

I usually make a point of stopping off on a safe patch of sand (croc free) and give them a run as after about an hour they get a bit bored with it all.

Every time we start to motor though they are up he front with the wind in their face...

Richard

Eagle
18-09-2007, 09:29 PM
We take our little girl with us everywhere we go. She loves to come fishing in the tinney and always lets me know when she has to pee or unload. She has her own specific signals to indicate what she wants to do. She barks at every thing that she sees but is slowly calming down. She gets so excited if I climb into the boat at home and yodels and howls if she cant get in with me. We cant leave her at home 'cos she stresses out so much, she wont even drink until we come home. Second to my first mate, Kody is the best company to have aboard.
Eagle
;D ;D
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Dasgil/Picture013-2.jpg

Synful
18-09-2007, 09:54 PM
We take our little girl with us everywhere we go. She loves to come fishing in the tinney and always lets me know when she has to pee or unload. She has her own specific signals to indicate what she wants to do. Second to my first mate, Kody is the best company to have aboard.
Eagle
;D ;D

Hey Eagle, that's one damn fine looking Shep there:)

Used to have a Shep X Blue Cattle when I was in Brisbane and he was the best dog you could ever want.

bludog
19-09-2007, 03:40 AM
My blu heeler is in heaven fishing dont know who enjoys it more.

Great company and just loves it when i cast then just stares at the rod waiting to see what is on the line.

He will go fishing any time causes no problems and just like to be out exploring.

What more could you ask from a fishing companion.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t230/Bludog69/Picture429.jpg

PinHead
19-09-2007, 04:36 AM
do they make good crab bait????

JT
19-09-2007, 06:16 AM
I have taken Harrison our Dally on a few occasions when I am fishing solo, he loves it, get so exited when he can see I am getting ready. He loves just being in the boat, and gets even more exited when he sees a fish come aboard. He has to lick every one that is caught. He also loves eating Gulps, gotta make sure the rear engine well is clear of all the dead ones and also that I put all my bags out of site, otherwise there gone.

Just got to teach him how to use the net ;D

If the wife and I are just out for a day on the water we take our little Maltese out as well. - He's the King of the Boat.

Cheers

John

roydsy
19-09-2007, 08:16 AM
do they make good crab bait????

edit: not a nice comment. Your username explains all.

Cobia Kid
19-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Im not sure if i want to take my dog out with me, My dad has always said dogs and hooks dont mix. So I think I Should will take his advive on this one.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/tlcjuliet/001_24.jpg

Dirtysanchez
19-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I used to take my mates Staffy with me in my half cabin, and he would sit right at the stern of the boat, next to the motor, even when we were on the plane !
It worried me a lot, but he never slipped or went over, he just stood there and enjoyed the ride.
When we pulled up he would often jump over for a swim.. he was a bit of a nut case !! :D

Little grey men
19-09-2007, 10:00 AM
My last dog when I lived out west, Salba( short for Screaming Lord Salbatory Daug Rastabfary )..a big black neopolitan mastiff cross something else really big, used to come fishing or yabbie collecting by his own choice. We used to loose a lot of crayfish, yellowbelly and cat fish to that big mongrel. When he'd start chewing on something there wasn't much you could do as he was bigger than all of us. He would constantly fall in the river as he wasn't very dainty, when he'd pull himself out he'd smell even worse than before.
We took him on holiday once to the coast, I was walking him along the footpath near a beach when he saw a group of lifesavers jogging along in their red budgie smugglers, this really pushed his buttons and he tore off after them. Those blokes can really run fast on sand when they have to.;D

Geeeez I miss that big mutt.

Grunter71
19-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Not anymore

We have a Rotty that hates the rocking boat, but loves watching fish flap around the deck. If they stop flapping, she likes to give them a little lick to get them flapping again.

The last time she I took her out, we caught a spaniard. This was great to her. A big fish, with lots of flapping. Trying to subdue a spaniard while holding back a rotty is great fun. A short time later we had a double hook up, the dog was beside herself waiting for these ones to hit the deck. They both hit the deck at pretty much the same time, so after subduing two spaniards and a crazy rotty, I swore she wouldn't be coming fishing again.

The fish were too big to go in the esky, so they were on the deck with a couple of wet towels over them. She spent the rest of the morning nosing back the towel and giving them a lick to get them flapping again!!!

roydsy
19-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Not anymore

The fish were too big to go in the esky, so they were on the deck with a couple of wet towels over them. She spent the rest of the morning nosing back the towel and giving them a lick to get them flapping again!!!

haha gold!

I have 2 labradors and there is no way they are coming aboard when they hoover anything not tired down!

therapy
19-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I often take my staffy 'Jaffa' out in the boat but she prefers land based fishing. When we take her to Sandgate forshore you can track our path by the upturned bellies of the toadies she has smashed. Her best catch to date was a sick 60 cm mullet that she nearly drowned herself trying to get as her mouth wouldn't fit around it. When I went over to see what she had I noticed the mullet was bleeding from every scale! Also bark's when I cast any type of sp/lure and nearly wet herself one day when we saw some dolphins ou in the bay. Lucky she was restrained. Yeah... We love her....

PinHead
19-09-2007, 05:28 PM
edit: not a nice comment. Your username explains all.
fer christ's sake...lighten up will ya..it is called a joke..something you probably don;t like. For your info I am a dog lover..have trained and shown dogs for over 29 years...Rottweilers and Rhodesian Ridgebacks...still have my 9 year old bitch here...so if you (file://\\you) cannot handle a bit of a dig on a subject...tough.

as for the name...from Hellraiser..plus I put another twist on it seeing as I enjoy going to the Pin.

Timfishin4fun
19-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Every second boat has one or more on board and they bark incessantly by day and night
What's wrong with taking cats along.
Down the pin there are heaps of dogs barking, all the time, enough to send you loco.
Only reason to take cats would be crab bait!
Tim

roydsy
20-09-2007, 08:27 AM
as for the name...from Hellraiser..plus I put another twist on it seeing as I enjoy going to the Pin.

Man take a note out of your own book, relax dude my comments where also intended in jest.

I laugh with the best of them but not when animal cruelty is the focus, albeit it just for fun or malicious.

And if you want to add someone interesting to the thread how about contributing a photo of your best friend.

roydsy
20-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Only reason to take cats would be crab bait!
Tim

Another thoughtless comment. Why do people find these sorts of statements funny?

Crackerjack
20-09-2007, 10:46 AM
HI All

I love taking our dogs I have 2 little Jacks and they love it. Just have to take extra bait they love eating it Pilchards are there favourite. Few of our friends think we are a bit crazy. We also took them away on a houseboat with us.

GREAT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeaHunt
20-09-2007, 03:27 PM
We took him on holiday once to the coast, I was walking him along the footpath near a beach when he saw a group of lifesavers jogging along in their red budgie smugglers, this really pushed his buttons and he tore off after them. Those blokes can really run fast on sand when they have to.;D

Geeeez I miss that big mutt.

That would push my buttons too, except I would run in the OPPOSITE direction. ::)

I take my Neapolitan Mastiff cross sometimes, he jumps off the boat at the ramp and goes for a swim if you don't get going quick enough for him. I don't have a life jacket for him, but he can swim better than I can with his huge webbed paws.
He travels well up the front of the boat and just lies down and goes to sleep if he gets bored. He ate some of my lollies one day though :'(

PinHead
20-09-2007, 06:42 PM
[I took out what I was going to say...would have only stirred the pot a bit more.

Benny01
20-09-2007, 06:51 PM
where can you get dog lifejackets

Little grey men
21-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey Sea Hunt...Love that dog mate...I've been thinking of getting another one. but not sure about living in the burbs with one. My old one had heaps and heaps of space to run around. My Salba was very similar to yours but black and his jowls were a little smaller.Not sure what he was crossed with but he had a line of hair running right down to his tail which would stand right up when he was cranky. Maybe his Dad was a ridgeback..!!!
Once again...beautiful animal you've got there.

Sea-Dog
23-09-2007, 06:36 PM
On the forbidden subject of cats - We used to have one for about 17 years that wouldn't touch fish unless it came out of a can. Fresh fish she'd turn her nose up at. I even took her to work with me once, when I was a courier. She liked being out and about.

I had a little corgi x labrador that loved being out in the courier van with me.

I cracked up one time. I was traveling along a freeway (which the dog had never been on before) we were approaching an underpass where another major road went over the top of the freeway.

The dog saw the bridge in the distance, and watched it get bigger. He looked at me, and then back to the bridge as if to say "Hey, that looks pretty low to me."

Then it was a quick look at the bridge, an imploring look to me, back to the bridge, and then he must have thought "Oh cr@p, I'm dead".

He ducked down as low on the seat as he could get just as we went under the bridge.

We passed under the bridge and into the sunshine again, and he realised he wasn't dead. With my gut-busting laughter at him, I have never seen a dog look so embarrassed as he looked. Must have thought to himself "I made a right wally of myself then, didn't I?"

Another dog that came to work with me was my Great Dane X Bullmastiff.
He used to rest his left elbow on the window sill and stick his head out of the window as we drove along.

Whenever he saw another dog, the hackles would rise along his back and he'd stand up and bark like crazy at the other dog. The unfortunate thing about this was, with him standing up - his pfoofer valve was just at nose height and with each bark, a smaller but smellier bark came from the tail end of the dog.

That wasn't pleasant.

This dog embarrassed the cr@p out of me one time. I was sitting in the front seat completing some paperwork, with the dog sitting beside me.

A lady with dwarfism and quite deformed walked along the footpath in front of the van. The dog spotted her and he did the head-tilt "what am I looking at" thing. His hackles rose more than I'd ever seen before and this blood-curdling growl came out of him and then he went ape-faeces, barking like crazy at the unfortunate object of his scorn.

I looked at the lady who was watching the dog's reaction, whilst I told the dog off in no uncertain terms whilst slapping at him trying to get his attention diverted. The dog sat back down again and just glared at her whilst giving an uncertain whining growl. Shutup you *^%*^%!!

I mouthed my apology through the windscreen to the lady who just laughed it off.

He wasn't at all an aggressive dog to people, but he knew that something just wasn't right with that poor lady. Animal instincts :-/

makubwa
23-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Great pictures there. i used to have one that came out fishing but I never took a photo. Not on the boats though but always used to tag along when fishing our local river. Being a labrador, he sometimes used to want to swim and I needed to move further down or upriver - LOL- Great company though.

carpel
24-09-2007, 07:48 PM
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6783/dsc08790qp5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

my dog is a serious campaigner on the rocks , Likes whole yakkas and jew gut , tuna blood and just being near the water .. They reckon collies are smart , but he has licked a tailors mouth TWICE , fish bit his tongue both times .

carljh
24-09-2007, 08:20 PM
My crazy kelpie x is too much to handle in the boat. First time in the boat when he was only a couple of months old, jumped out. Not so bad, except it was mid winter here in Victoria and a wet, cold dog is no friend in a small tinny. He had never seen water except in a dish, so I guess his interest was justified.

Later when he had grown up a bit I tried again. Early morning fishing trips with a dog who hasn't had a walk can end end up with unfortunate consequences. A dog who passes wind in the car on the trip the boat ramp should not be allowed into the boat. Trust me, you don't want the joy of number two's on the tinny floor.

Now, he is completely banned. He has developed an unhealthy interest in any fast moving object, eg lures, fly lines etc. The whole trip in the boat is spent with the dog tracking the lure or fly line just waiting for a chance to grab something. Better stop while I am ahead. Dog now stays home.

Carl

alleycat
25-09-2007, 06:43 AM
I took my cattle dog pup champ out yesterday (9 months), he loved it and was well behaved, went bonkers on a sandy island charging into the water and chasing fish, he will get to go again i reckon.

therapy
25-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Benny, I goy my dogs lifejacket from northside but most chandlery type places should have them. Pretty sure I've seen them at B.C.F.
cheers Terry...........

barkers creek
25-09-2007, 08:50 AM
We take our little girl with us everywhere we go. She loves to come fishing in the tinney and always lets me know when she has to pee or unload. She has her own specific signals to indicate what she wants to do. She barks at every thing that she sees but is slowly calming down. She gets so excited if I climb into the boat at home and yodels and howls if she cant get in with me. We cant leave her at home 'cos she stresses out so much, she wont even drink until we come home. Second to my first mate, Kody is the best company to have aboard.
Eagle
;D ;D

when i was just thinking there was no sheperds.
nice dog taken mine out with us twice or so he has diffrent marks as well its great when hes at home and we have visters its more of a short snappy bark and when he has no water it turns more into a bark crosed with a yelp funny to here.
one time when we went drag netting he thought he would help me get the fish out........lets just say it didnt work and he lernt hes lesson::)

my dog kane hes 2

Chimo
25-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Have to say, luved the dog pics please keep them flowing............

BUT........ my wife wants to know why all you AFs in pics with your dogs wearing lifejackets are not wearing yours?

Thanks and please don't bite me!

Cheers
Chimo

rando
27-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I used to crew on a "Haines Hunter" Trimiran years ago and the skipper would ALWAYS bring his kelpie cross. She was great, she would walk right up onto the bow of the outrigger while we were under way and stand there watching the dolphins.It was only 3-4 inches wide and smooth glass. How she didn't fall in has me buggered. But she would stand up there even in the choppiest conditions, then when she had enough, deftly backtrack and casually come and sit beside the skipper. Very cool mutt.8-)

bastard
01-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey Pinhead do you know a lady called Nicole Towell.

reidy
23-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Good day all,
Use to use my malamute (60 kg) as trim for my 12 footer if i was one up.Used to place him up the front and comand him to sit.Sit he would and the little 12 would level out nicely ready for a quick dart across the lake.The old boy now just lays on the deck of my 4.1 in retirement.He is my best mate (i wish people were as loyal and trustworthy) and he comes nealy everywhere i go.(i swear he cries on the few occasions the boat has left the yard without him.)
cheers
Reidy

BrandonH
23-10-2007, 12:56 PM
My Jack loves coming out on the boat:) usually only when we are trawling or bait fishing these days as she loves barking and trying to grab the lures:-/ Lucy also loves camping with us:D Pics bellow.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/brandonandzoe/images/Lucy%20fishing%20003.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/islandreach2.JPG
http://members.optusnet.com.au/b.hazelwood/Father%20and%20daughter.JPG

tigermullet
23-10-2007, 07:48 PM
If you must take these animals with you could you please ensure that they do not bark too much.

It is not nice to try to spend a quiet time on the water and have to put up with incessant barking.

Especially from those little white fluffy things.;D

BrandonH
24-10-2007, 10:56 AM
lol tiger, thats part of the reason she doesn't come with us when we are flicking plastics anymore!! If we are trawling or bait fishing she is all good:) though she wines a bit when we get a fish in the boat and acts like she wants to eat it!! but when you bring the fish towards her she shys away lol;D

roydsy
24-10-2007, 11:09 AM
It is not nice to try to spend a quiet time on the water and have to put up with incessant barking.

I could say the same thing about people that take their noisy children fishing....... ssssssshhhhh! or worse the missus who won't shut up.

**gets ready for the backlash**

tigermullet
24-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Doesn't anybody keep cats? At least they are quiet.

Not good on boats though - too tempting to use them as crab bait.;D

tigermullet
24-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I could say the same thing about people that take their noisy children fishing....... ssssssshhhhh! or worse the missus who won't shut up.

**gets ready for the backlash**

Me too! But I wasn't game.::)

Pretzil
24-10-2007, 10:31 PM
my dog absolutely loves the boat, and always stays out of the way, sometimes on a lap...

Funny thing is that after every time he goes in the boat he comes home and isnon sick as a... well... dog. And yet he doesnt seem to put 2 and 2 together, he will go off his nut as soon he sees us getting the boat ready again

Cammy
25-10-2007, 02:58 PM
we have toy chihuahua's and we take them jetty fishing, but if they wander off chasing birds, the pelicans are always watching!lol

cam

Sea-Dog
27-10-2007, 08:02 AM
we have toy chihuahua's and we take them jetty fishing, but if they wander off chasing birds, the pelicans are always watching!lol

cam

I read a fishing report a couple of years back on a Victorian site and it told the story of a Chihuahua that was being taken for a run on a beach. Along came a hungry pelican and mini-rover was lunch.