PDA

View Full Version : X-long shaft motor on long shaft transom

John_R
16-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I have been looking to put a four stroke om my 530 Spirit Quintrex. Found a couple of motors that would be good, except both are x-long shafts - 25in.

The current motor is a long shaft 20in.

I have had conflicting advice on whether I can/should mount an x-long on my transom. The specs for the transom say that max transom weight is 220kg and max HP is 115.

A mate of mine has a fibreglass boat with a long shaft transom and a x-long motor fitted. All they did was use a piece of 20mm plate to raise the motor. There are 6 bolts instead of four with the high two only in the plate and motor bracket, the second lot through the transom, plate and motor bracket, and the third lot through the transom and plate. He is happy with it and has had no problems.

Other guys have told me that the motor mount needs to be built up via welding, and still another has said the whole transom would need re-engineering.

Should I dismiss these motors because they are x-long? One seems a great deal, being a new Johnson 115 for only a few hundred more than the other prick dealers want for their 4 year old motor.

Could go to a new e-tec but then the cost is getting silly.

Thoughts anyone?

BM
16-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I have been using an alloy plate for years to put longer shaft engines onto transoms that are shorter. A good mate of mine in the trade has been doing it for 25yrs.

I use a 25mm ally plate typically which is cut about 30mm wider than the outboard mounting bracket. The bottom bolts go through the engine, plate and transom. The upper bolts go through the plate and the transom only (as high up as possible) and the top bolts go into the plate only.

This looks good, works very well and has never failed in 25yrs.

Cheers

litenup
16-09-2007, 01:15 PM
I have a bracket to raise transom excess to my requirements, had a 200 Merc on it so should handle most motors. I'm sure it could be modifyed to fit most boats. Send me a PM if want to have a look. Cheers Pete.