PDA

View Full Version : New Bimini for my boat, we did the frame

Great White
14-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Just picked up the boat from Rowland St boat trimmers today, it looks great ;D

A friend helped me bend up some 25 mm aluminium tube to make a custom bimini frame and I got it trimmed.

Boat is only 4 years old but I used to get a face full of wave in anything blowing over 20 knts. So removed the old zip out and stand up through bimini and made one so I could stand up and drive under it, with the shelter of full clears and a higher windscreen :D

Will post up a few before and after pic's. Was not a cheap thing to do - no change out of $2000 but hey I am happy, full camper covers and clears on a custom frame ;)

Great White
14-09-2007, 10:11 PM
A couple more!

longtail
14-09-2007, 10:47 PM
looks good Peter ;)

nice work8-)

Jason.

2DKnBJ
15-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Looks great Peter
Makes the boat look totaly different.You will really appreciate the side clears when it is raining or when there is a bit of wind about
If you have an old camping chair the bag that the chair goes in is a good size to keep the camp covers in.

Cheers Dazza

finga
15-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Some water shots of the new canopy would be good.
It's good to see they put a bit in so you can still easily use the hatch to get to the anchor.
It come up pretty good didn't it :)
When the first all nighter??
The girls could use it their very own alweather cubby house now as well ;)
Cheers Scott :)

revs57
15-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Nice Pete,

You wont know yourselves in a bit of a blow, next will be a full hard top!!!

Cheers

Rhys

ILikeBlu
15-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Nice m8 looks great.

I have been thinking about bending my own set as well and getting a m8 to do the trimming.
On the bending side of things, what did you use to bend the tubing? I was looking at some plumbing bending tools at bunnings but they didnt look big enough. Was also thinking of taking the tube to a exhaust place to get the bends done. But if you got another idea would be keen to know :)

Cheers Jason

Great White
15-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks guy's water test to come soon, I was amazed how well it towed at 100 k's on the highway trip home. I thought it would have been like towing a billboard ;D

ILikeBlu, my mate is like tim the tool man he had a 1 inch / 25 mm pipe bender and it was quite easy to bend the 2.5 mm thick tubing ;) Just took abit of time and paitence to do.

I have a few spare lengths left over from my project which I will sell off. I kept the old bimini which will be put on e bay for a cheap clear out price, so its not taking up shed space.

All said and done the cost of doing the bimini frame was the same as getting the trimmer to do it. But we put in a few extra bends along the top for a nicer shape and did it unique to what I wanted rather than what the trimmer wanted.

Plus it was a lot of fun with not to much swearing ::) ;D :-X

theoldlegend
15-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Looks pretty good. Who did the job for you?

TOL

Great White
15-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Looks pretty good. Who did the job for you?

TOL

Hi TOL, just a mate I don't know if you know him :) He didn't want me to get him any extra work as he has a full time job "ME" ;) ;D :-X