PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramp security

Tropicaltrout
14-09-2007, 07:40 PM
HI Ausfishers

I posted the same thing on the fresh water part of the forum but diddn't get a responce:huh2: but It is a general topic so, My dad was up from Tas and wastalking about the new web cam installed at Arthurs Lake:bulb2: . it gives a veiw of the ramp and the lake giving you a sneak peak at the water level crowd etc, not to mention a bit of security know you gear on camera.:) anyhow I was wodering what your thoughts are on this. Your about to go for a fish so a quick check of the ramp you can see if its crowded and what the tide or water level is in your chair before you leave.

The web site for arthurs is angler alliance .com.au

anyhow thought you fellas would like to know this I think it may be something we will see more of over time.

TT

SgBFish
14-09-2007, 07:54 PM
That is a great idea except i would have the camera pointing at the car park to see who is breaking into my vehicle.

Tropicaltrout
14-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Well true but one would be on the ramp and one at the car park, and you get the best of both worlds

Foxy4
14-09-2007, 08:38 PM
A remotely operated camera or one that was like that at the Seaway tower would be ideal at all the well used ramps around south east Queensland. But it will never happen.

choppa
14-09-2007, 08:38 PM
tried and tested method to stop theft and allow a sneak preview on whats happen'in at the ramp,,,.,

bribie island installed surveillance camera's at 2 hotspots,,,, both where prone to theft though,,,, in case number 1,,,, after a short period,,, they stole the camera's,,, these were replaced,,, they stole em again

in the other spot,,, they stole the camera's and the ""warning"" signs,,,

both have not been replaced since,,,,,,,,,,,, pity,,,,

on a brighter note,,, the news is that the ""main"" ramp is undergoing some funding to step up night security,,,,,, i just hope they don't recommission ""jasper"",,,,, don't get me wrong,,,, but a dobermain that refuses to eat meat without gravy doesn't sit right with me;D

choppa

oldboot
14-09-2007, 08:49 PM
With the plumeting cost of both CCTV equipment and compact CCTV web servers it is a very reasonable thing.
The way to fund it would be sponsorship.

I am always amused when "security items" get stolen.
It is obvious that the specifiers and installers arent taking the whole thing seriously.

cheers

Chas & Clarry
14-09-2007, 10:11 PM
ALSO having a Web cam or two facing out to the bay at the mouth of Bris river/Cabbage Tree Creek, Hornibrook etc would be great to see conditions on the bay rather than just at the ramps where the water is protected.

Great idea I think
C&C

loophole
14-09-2007, 11:13 PM
on a brighter note,,, the news is that the ""main"" ramp is undergoing some funding to step up night security,,,,,, i just hope they don't recommission ""jasper"",,,,, don't get me wrong,,,, but a dobermain that refuses to eat meat without gravy doesn't sit right with me;D

choppa is that the coastguard ramp?

Davemclean
14-09-2007, 11:26 PM
you could always try hiring an insomniac and give him a 12 gauge...lol

reidy_g
15-09-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm note sure about webcams in the carparks. Allows tea leaves to preview which ramps are worth coming down to steal from. Think of all the time and fuel they'd save! Security cameras yes, webcams no. I do like the idea of rampcam though, as well as shorecam, similar to the coastalwatch site http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=1100&state=QLD&t=5:42:51%20AM although the EPA waverider buoys also give a good indication of conditions http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/waves/site_param.cgi?siteid=93&paramid=1&noback=4.

Synful
15-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Hmmm,

Good idea in principal but flawed in practice guys.

Working in IT I can tell you why it will never take off; as good an idea as it is.

Bandwidth: The amount of bandwidth required to push a 24 x 7 feed of video over the Internet would be astronomical. Asides from the network costs, there is the charges to build in for the amount of bandwidth consumed and transmitted over the internet; bottom line is that someone has to pay for it. Even at 12c per mb of video (what used to be the rate for excess bandwidth use on Smelstra LittlePuddle Cable); you would be looking at least a gig of bandwidth a day - you can do the math on that one and whether people would be prepared to pay for it :-/

Of course this cost could be reduced by limiting the quality of the feed; but then if you do that then you will probably not be able to ID any idiot stealing cars or carrying out any other acts that should not be taking place.

I hate to say it, but it would be cheaper and more effective to hire a security guard with a shepherd, rotty or similar "four legged enforcer" to patrol the car park. If the ramp is provided by the State Government (which most of them would be) then perhaps approach you local member to have state government security or the Police to patrol the car park every now and then.

Timmy94
15-09-2007, 07:30 PM
The cops "supposedly" do patrols on everything i can honestly say i havn't seen a cop car in my street for the past 6-8months atleast. I have never seen one at a boatramp either.

choppa
15-09-2007, 10:00 PM
choppa is that the coastguard ramp?

spinnaker,,,,,,,,,,,,,jasper lives in the caravan park;D ;D ,,,seriously he does

choppa

loophole
15-09-2007, 10:06 PM
holy s#^$ jasper is 4 real hey i thought spinnaker would be pretty safe.
i REFUSE to put my boat in there unless im leaving real early and coming back late arvo it can just get really busy sometimes and too many arguments breakout