PDA

View Full Version : How to fix rod guide thingy?

BaitThrower
13-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey all.

I bought my son a cheapy rod a year ago. Have since put a better real on but after last trip, the largest guide near the reel lost its smooth inner guide ring thingy... Sorry still a newbie, dont know its name... but its the ring bit that the line rides over that sits inside the metal ring of the guide. Anyway the thing must have just popped out. I can press it back in, but its only sitting there and will definitely come out again. Can it just be epoxied back on somehow?

finga
14-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Better if you get it replaced.
Any tackle shop would know of a good repairer or try replacing yourself.
:)

BaitThrower
14-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Well it was only one of those cheapy $25 combo rods at BCF :)
Prolly not worth paying to get it fixed, or even replacing the guide.

Might just go buy a decent rod instead :)

Rodman
14-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Mate
I live on the Northside and I can repair it for you only cost $5 + the cost of the new eyelet?
PM me I live in the Strathpine area.

Rodman

roz
15-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey all.

I bought my son a cheapy rod a year ago. Have since put a better real on but after last trip, the largest guide near the reel lost its smooth inner guide ring thingy... Sorry still a newbie, dont know its name... but its the ring bit that the line rides over that sits inside the metal ring of the guide. Anyway the thing must have just popped out. I can press it back in, but its only sitting there and will definitely come out again. Can it just be epoxied back on somehow?

Hi there,

That guide is call the stripper guide and you will have to replace it, should only cost you a few dollars, but make sure you replace it with the same size. I'm thinking it would be a 25 or 30 perhaps.

Attaching it is not difficult, but you will need some thread and possibly a bit of epoxy or varnish, although I know of rod repairs that have lasted years without any of that stuff lol!!! the thread is a must!!! not the varnish.

Getting some thread might seem a waste just for one guide, but over the years you will use it over and over.

I put together a small emergency rod repair kit containing about four different sized tips, and six or so different size guides along with the thread plus a stick of hot melt glue and lighter...deals with most situations. If you find an old broken rod and the guides are still viable take them off for your spares.

Here is a little trick, the tip guide will usually come off if you apply some heat with a lighter

r.