PDA

View Full Version : Can't Eat Fish

rob tranter
13-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi all
Can any of you tell me why, I can go out to a flash Restaraunt order Fish, Whole or otherwise, Eat it and enjoy it.:)
Yet if I catch fish, I can't stand the Smell of it Cooking and can't eat it, as to me it tastes like Sh!t.:-/

I have doen this with all types of fish.
And it has beencoked in all different ways.
Any answers?
Rob8-)

Raesen
13-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Rob

Maybe try grilling the fish you catch (under grill) with just a bit of lemon, perhaps.

If this doesn't work you will have try and catch chicko rolls, dim sims or whatever :D Now they are sh#t.
Cheers
Pete

landyman
17-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm the opposite mate...

I wont eat it unless I catch it..

disorderly
18-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Wonder if you are a bit like my neighbor.
He doesnt like to kill fish and would not catch,kill and eat a fish.
But once its dead and somebody else has caught it then he loves it.

But to find out for certain maybe you need to speak to a therapist.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Scott

rob tranter
18-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Raesen,

Chicko's and such are ok fresh, but only about once a decade?

Disorderly,

The Therapist said I'm a lost cause.

I've tried other peoples fish and they taste to me the same as mine.

Rob

bayfisher
18-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Simply just don't eat the fish the day you clean them,take fillets off and freeze them for when you need them, taking the skin off the fillets also helps remove that fish smell.

Thats my 2cents

Cheers Chris

tez1
18-09-2007, 07:38 AM
[quote=bayfisher;685056]Simply just don't eat the fish the day you clean them,take fillets off and freeze them for when you need them, taking the skin off the fillets also helps remove that fish smell.

Thats my 2cents

yep i agree with chris , get the missus to cook them for you too nothing like fresh fish for tea,after a hard day or try different recipes ie fish cakes,fish mornay.

tez

Chas & Clarry
18-09-2007, 08:51 AM
taking the skin off the fillets alsol.

Personally I love fresh fish..best food inthe world (OK shellfish is better;) )

For you, I agree re skinning them: easy process. Leave the scales on, then after filleting, just lay skin side down and run a filleting knife between skin and flesh while holding the tip of the skin to keep it tight against the cutting board (you probably already knew how to do that...:) ).

Yummmmmm enjoy!

oldboot
18-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Hmmm

Are you cooking it hot enough.

If you cook fish and the pan isnt hot enough it will sort of stew in its juices and smell a bit ordinary..... the texture will also suffer..... some fish much more than others.

you need the pan hot enough and adequate oil to get good heat transfer.

if there is a puddle of fish juce under the fillet at any time you are cooking you need more heat.

If it aint browning before its cooked...... more heat required.

generaly when frying fillets the fish should be cooked hot and for a short time.

Some recon cooking fish properly is harder than catching them.

it is very easy to cook fish badly and turn it into something horible.

I know people who wont cook steak in the house because of the smell..... how about barby outside.

You probly need to learn some more about fish cooking and preparation.

remember fishes ain't fishes Sol.......different types of fish lend themselves better to different cooking methods........

Fish is much less forgiving than meat.

cheers

Roo
19-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Are you eating freshwater species? or weed eating species? they can often have a strong Iodine smell and flavour. Particularly Blackfish and Bass or yellowbelly. Trick is to skin the fillets which will remove the fat layer under the skin. will massively improve the flavour. I never liked the taste of "perch" (Bass) when my dad caught them and cooked them as he would leave the skin on. I tried skinning them and found they were great flavour without the skin.
BBQ'ing outside will help too if the smell is an issue. I'm not keen on the smell of cooking fish but the flavour is always good.
Another trick is to grill fillets in a baking dish with a bit of flavouring spread over the top, like a nice herb pesto and a bit of oil.
or the malcom douglas special, Baked in a foil envelope with coconut cream, onion and mango slices.........oops drooled on the keyboard. Try it!!!!

cheers, roo.

roydsy
19-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I am a fussy fish eater.... and sometimes can't stand the smell or flavour. The wife now lightly crumbs the fillets in egg and flour, grill on high heat for a few minutes in garlic butter or just some lemon juice and now i am reformed.

However, some species have really potent odour and flavour, hence why i love my white flesh species like whiting, snapper, reefies etc. I don't how people can eat mullet, tailor etc with their strong oil tastes.

Anyway happy gorging on fresh fish.

JewseeTHAT
21-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Try this.. if you can't eat and enjoy your fish with this recipe you might just have to give up. :)

6 or more fish fillets
2 dessert spoons olive oil
1 medium sized onion, sliced thinly
2 average sized tomatoes sliced thickly
mushrooms, sliced
1 red capsicum, sliced (can include some red chillies if desired)
small can anchovies
chives, about 3 dessert spoons
1\3rd white wine (use red ourselves and it's perfect)
buttered breadcrumbs approx 1 cup (freshly grated or processed bread, not packet crumbs) 1 tbs melted butter combined through.
Salt, pepper, and nutmeg (mix 1 tsp salt, pinch of white pepper and equal pinch nutmeg together)
Optional but worthwhile:
2 cloves garlic crushed
handful black olives (pretty much necessary in my view.. leave them whole for a real flavour burst)

Wipe fillets with damp cloth, and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and nutmeg mix. In oven-proof baking dish, the one you'll bake in, pour in the olive oil. Scatter in approx 2 dessert spoons of capsicum, and half of the thinly sliced onion. Place fish fillets in single layer on top. Lay one or two anchovy fillets on each fillet, and then one thick slice of tomato on each fillet also. Scatter over the remaining onion and red capsicum. Sprinkle chives on, and scatter mushrooms over. Sprinkle garlic and scatter olives, if using.Pour wine over. Cover dish tightly with aluminium foil and refrigerate for several hours, or until cooking time. (Longer is better). One hour before serving time, pre-heat the oven to (230 C) 450F degrees and place the covered dish in oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover dish, and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over and bake uncovered for further 5 - 10 minutes, until crumbs are golden.

Serves 4 (6 if not big eaters)

rob tranter
22-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks all for your reply's, I'll give them a go and see how my taste buds like it.

Thanks Again
Rob8-)

FNQCairns
22-09-2007, 08:19 AM
I am in some ways the same, have some fish (cobia) ATM in the freezer which I don't think I will cook natural again, the smell and the taste was not clean enough -it's a turn off. Plan to make a chunky mild savoury/spicy soup/light stew with some of it and also to cut up into triple bite sized pieces and crumb and deep fry.
I find deep frying does a great job of taking away that cooked smell but I have yet to try it on this fish.

cheers fnq

PS by the way do you want to come for a run out to the reef sometime? I find fishing buds with a problem eating fish to be one of the best to take fishing:) :)

GAD
22-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Mate ,
I'll clean them , but will not cook fish , can't ever seem to get it right, let someone else cook it for you thats how I do it.

bassgirl
22-09-2007, 09:08 PM
If I catch fish, I can't stand the Smell of it Cooking and can't eat it, as to me it tastes like Sh!t.:-/

Rob8-)

You sound exactly like my hubby......! He would rather stave! :sick2: Unless it is "fish'n'chips" down the local fish & chip shop. He will eat it if is maybe made into fishcakes.

BrewGuru
09-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe you are addicted to imported hoki and other stuff we buy in by the tonne from overseas

vb4me
14-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Used to be the same. Loved fishing but wouldnt eat it if I managed to catch anything. But lately have been sampling my catch and am actually enjoying fresh fish. Sorry cant help on any exotic recipes to try. Just been grilling. But lemon juice and garlic always seem to compliment the fish.

groverwa
14-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Cook it slowly with a bit of water - when it just changes colour at the top turn over and cook until it flakes and not pink - use a bit of garlic etc to taste with the water

Put the fish and juice from the pan into a suitable container and cover - leave in the fridge until the next day - get some really fresh bread or buns and place the fish and solidified juice in the bread or buns with salad if you want - wash down with the beer of choice - this makes sh^t fish palatable and good fish even better

Mike

Lucky_Phill
25-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I have a solution Rob, start cooking the fish and then go outside, throw a $20 note down the drain, come back in and the fish will smell and taste sensational.

;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D :P

Phill

OR, just pass on all fish you catch to me. 8-)

Brazilian guy
26-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi all
Can any of you tell me why, I can go out to a flash Restaraunt order Fish, Whole or otherwise, Eat it and enjoy it.:)
Yet if I catch fish, I can't stand the Smell of it Cooking and can't eat it, as to me it tastes like Sh!t.:-/

I have doen this with all types of fish.
And it has beencoked in all different ways.
Any answers?
Rob8-)

Have a simple answer: you born to catch-and-release, man! ;D

rob tranter
27-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi all

I would like to say thank's for all the helpfull reply's.

I had actually forgotten that i had put this post up, but some helpfull Ausfish member sent me a p.m. with a link to it.

So we can now close the subject.

Again

Thanks for your helpfull reply's

And Phil, I don't have a drain outside to throw the $20 in, but thanks anyway;)

Rob T8-)

flybloke
27-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I am the same, I enjoy others cooking better than my own. But others rave about a dish I make but question why I dont eat it myself.
It happens more with curry for me but fish will do it too.
Its all to do with your palat and your mind.