PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast Weather Conditions

secret relations
13-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi, I am new to the coast and have only managed to get out a couple of times since moving here.

If anyone could help me out with some advice on what i should be looking for in terms of weather forecasts, and what are the best forecast sites eg, seabreeze, coastguard, Bom etc.

I have a 4.85m bowrider with an 80hp 4 stroke yammy on the back so 2+m seas are out for me!

Rodman
13-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Look for 10 to 15 knots SE winds
Rodman

bballfisho
13-09-2007, 05:00 PM
i have been out on the sunny coast reefs a fair bit, in my 5m quintrex bowrider. My advice is to stick to BOM as they seem to get it right most times. Seabreeze is also alrite but can be a bit misleading.
Be aware that 10-15 knots can quikly jump to 15-20 + , and in a open bowrider it can get a bit wet and uncomfortable. So yeh stick to BOM and I hope you get out there for a few good trips
cheers
bballfisho

wags on the water
13-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi, I am new to the coast and have only managed to get out a couple of times since moving here.

If anyone could help me out with some advice on what i should be looking for in terms of weather forecasts, and what are the best forecast sites eg, seabreeze, coastguard, Bom etc.

I have a 4.85m bowrider with an 80hp 4 stroke yammy on the back so 2+m seas are out for me!

Gday secret relations. I think 2+m seas are out for everyone.
Another site to look at would be coastalwatch. It's good to see what the water's like before leaving the house.

Cheers,

Wags

zigfreed
14-09-2007, 08:19 AM
G'day secret relations

I use all 3 (BOM, seabreeze and coastalwatch cameras) then make my own decision. You are sensible with the 15kts thing, thats my limit too with a 4.5 c/c. If it does blow up above that you can still get home safely, just a bit wet.

There is a really good feature on BOM website called current conditions, add this on to your favourites list. What it does is a half hourly update of current winds at observation stations and holds the last 72 hours data (there are heaps around brissy and sunshine coast). It can save a lot of time and effort when you are getting up at 3am and have a bit of a drive ahead you only to find that it has been blowing all nite and conditions are crappy.

Mick