PDA

View Full Version : what tender will tow ok

wayneoro
12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
ok guys got 19 ft glass looking to go up river etc and camp on boat so will be wanting to tow a tender etc to service crab pots etc any ideas cheers

Blackened
12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
G'day

What kind of 19' do you have? IS there a hardtop setup where you may be able to store a 8 or 10' inflatable?

Dave

Chimo
13-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi Wayneoro

I have found its ok to tow an Al tinny behind my Vag by using an adjustable bridle off the rear bollard on the stb side then to a pully block on a short painter low off the winch eye with a small float near the pulley then back and tied off on the port rear bollard.

Run the tinny in close for slow speed and let it well back at high speed. I run a long length of 10 mm on a plastic hose reel so it keeps things tidy in the boat and still easy to reel in and out.

It has been towed at up to 25 kn. I found it best to keep the weight in the tinny light for towing and it rarely gets any water even splashed in it crossing other boat wakes etc. Storing the tinny outboard on the bait board on the tow boat seems to work the best and most secure.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Chimo.

Homer_Jay
13-09-2007, 07:15 AM
I have a 8ft inflatable that I put on the hardtop. But it is still hard to man handle on and off. But when there is it out of the way and doesnt affect the performance of the boat. But towing the inflatable doesnt seem to work the best but I have to experiment abit more. The main problem with it is that they are a pain to row.
I think if towing then go for a tinny or a small glas boat.

Chimo,
have you tried towing with your outboard still on the tender?
Might be worth leaving the outboard on and in the down position. This will giv it alot more stability in the water.

Aar

wayneoro
13-09-2007, 09:10 AM
ok chimo will copy cheers and thanks

Chimo
13-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Homer

I have stabilizers welded the bottom back corners of the 12 tinny I tow and it sits straight and steady pretty well at all speeds. The motor I use on it is only 2.3 HP and its light and easy to hang on the bait board so its out of the way and if I want to row the tinny to a pub or whatever the little outboard is more secure on the Vag than it would be on the beach. For longer runs on goes the motor but no I don't think I'll leave it an the tinny unless its in use.

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
13-09-2007, 11:16 AM
If you are going to try it Wayne heres what the setup looks like.

The painter or should it be paynter is from spliced 12 mm silver and is about 2m long and the dee attaches to the winching eye on the tinny. The float is off an old ski rope and is attached close to the block. The 10 mm silver passes thru the block and is attached to the boat and adjusted as mentioned earlier.

You can also see under the reel where the tinny motor is carried on the bait board.

Have fun::)

Cheers
Chimo