PDA

View Full Version : Will my hole leak???

Scottnojack
12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

I am in the process of putting a livewell in my boat and have a question or two in regards to it. Firstly, I have purchased a Johnson "Bait Tank" pump wich is connected to about 6" of all thread. The idea is to put the all threadhed through the hole like a skin fitting below water level and connect hopse to outlet on pump. This is easy however the pump isnt water tight and will therefor remain open to running water even when switched off. If the outlet which is a spray bar is located roughly 250-300mm above the water level will it leak (sink) or will it only go through the hose once the pump is turned on and forced up the lines into the tank?

If anyone has any better ideas on how to set it up please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

Dodgy_Back
12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
From abit of experiance with my old live well, you will find a bit of water going into the hose , but it will level out with the water on the outside anyway.
No sinking, no worries

Mick

Scottnojack
12-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Mick, you must have been sitting there waiting for me. Ha Ha. I thought that, but thought I would check before drilling a 1" hole in the bottom of the boat.

Cheers

Getout
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
You should always put a tap (stopcock) on any fitting below the water level because sh*t CAN happen!

Dodgy_Back
12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh And also my old live well use to slop alot of water out (bad design) thank god for a bilge bump.

Mick

Scottnojack
13-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Mick,

I have thought about that. What i am doing is having a 100mm lip around the inside so that should stop most splashing. I am also having the casting deck which will be ontop close hard against the lip with some squishy foam in between. this should stop most water coming out.

ashh
13-09-2007, 02:06 PM
rather than drilling through the bottom of the boat, is there any reason why you couldnt use a water pick-up pipe.(see pic)
With it setup this way you have the best of both worlds, as in, you can have water pumping via the pump when you are stationary, and it will also fill/ recirculate the water automatically when you are under way.
To prevent it filling when not needed you simply install a tap to shut off the water 'in' pipe. If you want more pics of how mine is setup, just ask and Ill put them up. HTH :)

shano
13-09-2007, 07:29 PM
ash put a pick up of your spotlight holder once installed!;)

northernblue
13-09-2007, 07:29 PM
rather than drilling through the bottom of the boat, is there any reason why you couldnt use a water pick-up pipe.(see pic)
With it setup this way you have the best of both worlds, as in, you can have water pumping via the pump when you are stationary, and it will also fill/ recirculate the water automatically when you are under way.
To prevent it filling when not needed you simply install a tap to shut off the water 'in' pipe. If you want more pics of how mine is setup, just ask and Ill put them up. HTH :)

I had a similar set up on my old plate boat, but mine was mounted on a slide and I had a"T" welded just below the pump and thus used the same pick up for my deckwash pressure pump.
It all worked a treat.

ashh
13-09-2007, 11:24 PM
ash put a pick up of your spotlight holder once installed!;)

will do mate, just adding the finishing touches and will give it a water test on Sat night, so far it looks the goods.;D

(sorry for the thread hijack)

shano
14-09-2007, 07:40 PM
yeah sorry for that guys!