PDA

View Full Version : Building a Kill tank

Scott nthQld
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey all,

I'm after some advice on building and installing a killtank in my boat, as the ply floor has started to rot (original floor in a 15 yr old boat) and needs replacing. I figured while the floor is up I could install a killtank below to eliminate the need for an esky on board, leaving more room to move around.

Any way From the existing floor to the bottom of the hull does does have a lot of height, so a shallow, long and wide tank is on the cards. The main question is how sould I go about making one, once I have the dimensions in order? What materials should I use? I was thinking of building a glass one but if I do this will it be easier if I make the general shape out of ply and glass over or is there a better and more cost effective way of doing this? Since the boat is aluminium, will it be better to make an aluminium tank or doesn't it matter? I would prefer a glass tank because I don't have access to a welder or anyhting so I was thinking this would be an easier route to go.

And in regards to installation, am I able to simply fix the new tank to existing floor stringers, or will I need to make up something else for more strength and stability of the tank? Also I have an alum, under floor fuel fuel tank, will this be a problem for contamination of fuel/ice in either tank?

Last of all, for a lid, will I have to make one to fit the killtank or can I just seal the tank to the underside of the new floor and use a hinged cut out of the new floor as a makeshift lid?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers any hints, tips and advice.

Cheers

Scott