PDA

View Full Version : Pick dragging

juju
11-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Last nite while out at mud (gave up at 7 , was feeling seasick from the slop) the chop was pretty stiff, the boat was kicking around a fair bit...anyway the reef anchor started dragging.......now i have a good 5.5 mt of heavy chain so i dont think the problem is there...either the prongs on the pick need some fine tuning..or it might be better to get an better anchor......having a look in the bais book teh Sarcas might be the go.....anyone use one....or have ideas about the prongs.....never had the problem with the old boat and the same pick

Chimo
12-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi

How much warp did you have out and how did you lay the anchor?

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
12-09-2007, 08:15 AM
first off how long are the prongs? and how thick are they? and are you anchoring on hard reef/rock? tell me those things and I will get back to you!

rando
12-09-2007, 11:33 AM
As a rule of thumb you should have 1.5 times the boats length of chain.
Sounds like you could have let out some more rope to get the angle down a bit.

Noelm
12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
does not matter how much rope and chain you have if the basic anchor setup is not right.

juju
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Prongs are id say are 10mm....plenty of rope out...was out the top end of Mud....good 5.5 mt of heavy chain.....(not light stuff) as i said same setup as with the old boat and never had the problem

Noelm
12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
how long are the prongs?

samson
12-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Mate you didn't say whether the prongs were straightening out, if they were you either have to go to heavier gauge like 12mm or if your prongs are too long shorten them to add strength if this isn't the case then you must have not been on rough enough ground so if you want to keep fishing that area you might need to upgrade to a sarca or something similer.

juju
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
i think it may be a case of taking some off the prongs to help it grab a bit.....either that or go the saca...pics below..the chain gos up and into teh anchor well so there is plenty of it..

ozbee
12-09-2007, 03:57 PM
bend bend bend way to straight

Luke G
12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Bend them so each prong is vertical to the main shaft.

tunaticer
12-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Greg, Strighten your prongs back out then bend only the last 6" of each prong outwards fairly sharply to about a 60-70 degree internal angle from the main part of the prong. What is happening is you have given the anchor tines too much leverage to bend and straighten enough to slip and also the diameter of the outside of the prongs is wider than the anchors length. It will behave like a tumbleweed trying to find a decent hold when it starts to slip.

After doing a bit of scuba diving reefs and seeing first hand what actually happens with reef pics and what reef pics hold best you get a fair indication of the right design. In my opinion 2m of 8mm or 10mm anchor chain is plenty. I run about a metre on mine and its only come loose on a change of tide twice.

Jack.

Chimo
12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
The last post may have something re the bend angle but at the moment I successfully use the little reef pick (with the thong along its length to show size not to make it hold) and if conditions eg too rough or whatever I use the bigger one shown in its PVC tube carrier.

This is on a 6.2 Seafarer Vag which is a reasonable lump of a thing.

Cheers
Chimo

Seahorse
12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
hi juju.
were u out there monday night? have u got centre consul? if so, that was me there beside u in the stacer. i gave it away at 7.30. got couple keepers.it was pretty bouncy.

cheers
greg

juju
12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Ill give that a go...they have straightend out a bit to when they were first bent...just got me as strange how it worked without a problem on the old boat...the new one has a fuller bow so it may be just providing that extra bit lift pressure.........i was going to try the Sarca...just the idea of snagging it and blowing $200 was the bit that put me off.......i know an old guy that fishes the pine river all the time....none of that fancy stuff for him...had a 100mm think Bessa Block....::)