PDA

View Full Version : Newbie starting out

Eagle
09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi guys,
I am so impressed with all the glorious wraps and designs that you fellas have produced. The paterns that Roz has completed are incredible. I want to start building some of my own rods from scratch but have no idea how to do it or where to start. I saw a rod "Lathe" in a shop but the price of it floored me. I had a good long look at the machine and have decided to build one of my own. I have a fabulous Myford Super7 long bed lathe and I can use it to build almost anything. being a toolmaker by trade, the design and mechanics of a rod "lathe" is a walk in the park. When I get the "lathe" built I will post some photos of it. It will be at least equal or better than any machine on the market. For me, that's the easy part. The hard part is knowing where and how do I start the binding process? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
Eagle

finga
10-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Your going to get hooked matey ;)
For an explanation of the overall process Docski's movies are pretty good.
PM sent :)

B_E_N
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
i felt simple diagramatic drawings wer a great help and from there i found my own way/order of doing things and the way i do them. i think the best thing would be to look around for some old or broken rods and spend some time mucking around with some thread work, and then most importantly try putting on some epoxy, i still find it a little hard to get right everytime but im getting there. i think youll wanna make all your mistakes a rod youll never use and get some practise in before you attempt your first one. apart from that the rest is sorta easy. if you want some pics and what not pm me your email and ill hunt around for some

roz
10-09-2007, 05:37 PM
You can do without a lathe, I've never owned one...but I think that may change shortly.

Building a rod is not difficult at all...if I can, anyone can.

we hold a Rod building Weekend once a year usually around April or May.

If you can't wait that long, go and get yourself a blank and we can help you put it all together.

You will also find that a tackle shop that sells blanks will have someone there that knows how to build them.

r.