PDA

View Full Version : Cooking fish, HELP !

kind_cir
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not a chef, and don't want to be, but I do want to be able to cook the catch well.
So I got a few fillets and want to crumb and cook them. What do I use and how do I go about it ?
I want to be able to grill a fillet or two, but want to add a little something extra for a little extra flavor or something a little different. What would I use and how would I do it ?
Or I got a whole fish, scaled it and want to bake it, either at home, on the camp fire, or the BBQ. How would you prepare it and cook it using the above methods ?And what would you add, if anything ?

Please help me and make it simple using simple and easily available products that don't overpower the real taste. My only experience so far is wipping off a couple of fillets and wacking them under the grill, with a little salt added after.
Please, someone help me, my life is so bland.

Noelm
10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
If you have good quality fish in the first place, there is no need to KILL it with a thousand different herbs and sauces, probably the easiest method is simple frying (there was a topic about this a week ago) but here goes, first off, have the fish prepared, floured or crumbed or battered, your choice, next you need good oil and a cooker that can get it hot and keep it hot, heat up to about 190 degrees, so when you put the fish in it will drop to about 180, have the fish cut into smallish pieces if possible and cook untill just done and a nice brown colour, fish does not need to be burned to a cinder, put onto some paper towel and salt with some coarse salt when still hot, a bit of simple easy salad and a wedge of lemon and your done.

fairpractice
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
i agree, lookafter your catch i.e. bleed/ice

if you want some different recipies from frying look out for Sally Jenyns book "Fishing and Feasting" Coastwatch publications po box 66 sunnybank 4109.

you could always try the internet.. advantage with sally's book all aussie fish.

good luck john

username_taken
10-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Beer batter is always good for fish! lump of flour, mix in beer until a thick pancake consitensy, then cook in hot oil, either shallow or deep frying. Any left-over batter can be used to make beer flavoured pancakes!

Noelm
10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
as far as baking a whole fish in the Oven (not my favorite) I was always told to leave the fish unscaled and peel the skin off when cooked, the theory being that the scales and skin keep the water OUT so must keep the moisture IN, sounds right I guess, but just get a good sized fish (Snapper or the like), get a dish that the fish will fit in, place a wire rack in the bottom (to hold the fish up a bit) rub in a bit of good oil, whack it in the Oven untill cooked, it can be tested by using a small knife and spreading a bit of flesh at the thickest part, and again, do NOT cremate the thing, just cooked only!!

kind_cir
10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replies but I do need more help.
Crumbed fish, I got a fillet and got some bread crumbs. How do I get the crumbs to stick to the fish.

Raesen
11-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Crumbed fish??
Mate you dust the fillet in some plain flour, then dip and coat the fillet with a beaten egg (bit messy but worth it).
Then coat the fillet with bread crumbs. This can be done in a bowl or if you have a few fillets I usally put the bread crumbs in a freezer bag, drop the fillets in, twist the top of the bag to close and then shake.
Presto crumbed fish fillets.
Cheers
Pete

disorderly
11-09-2007, 08:36 AM
For crumbing we use a product called Crumb In One from the supermarket.
Simply wet your fillet with water and flop it into the crumb in one mix,then fry(also works well for chicken drumsticks)
Very simple.Not at all messy and very tasty.

Scott

Volvo
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Depending on the amount of Fillets you have??, break n egg or two in a bowl of milk and beat the bejayzus outa the mixture get a good mix;) ...
get yourself a plastic bag and toss some flour into it followed by your fillets..Hold the end closed and shake tha bag to get a good even coating of flour over your fillets(as in previouse thread somewhere's by Noelm i think it was, make sure your fillets are at near room temp and arent saturated in water)....
if you feel like makin a mess or getting plates dirty you can place the flour in a big n nuff plate and pat both sides of your fillet in the flour:-/ ..
Bowl or plate of breadcrumbs.....
(1) Flour your fillets
(2) Dip in egg n milk mix(let excess drain off)
(3) breadcrumb your fillets and drop into HOT!! oil.....
Again as a previous thread stated, if your oil is reasonably hot your fillet should near emediately float to top of oil , make sureit colours well both sides and pull it out of the oil having your next peice ready for the fry..
Note of caution !! oil too hot will have oil burn especially if you dont get the next fillet in emediately and fillet l especially the breadcrumb mix will burn without cooking fillet properly...
Hope this is what you were after??...
far as healthiest way to eat fish is to grill it under the griller , followed by baking it, followed by turning it into Soupa.........
Cheers

warti
13-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Just a quick add on here. After you coat your fish in the crumbs you can put them in the fridge for a few hours to let the coating set. Then cook them and you will find the crumbs will have adhered much better to the fish. Cook in half oil half butter.Sheeet now i am hungry.

dogsbody
13-09-2007, 05:27 PM
As an alternative to bread crumbs crush some corn flakes. And add a bit of salt and pepper to your flour to dust your fillets.

Dave.