PDA

View Full Version : Best 60HP on the market?

Herks
09-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi All,

Intrigued to find out what people's thoughts are on this size outboard. Does not matter if 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Looking to power a 4.5m 350kg hull. Ta.

dnej
09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
60 hp,4 stroke,Yamaha.Great donk. Just ask any one who has one.
David

Wahoo
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Just ask any one who has one.
David

hehehehe.......

Timmy94
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
hehehehe.......

Hehehe verados dont come in 60's do they:P

I personnaly would reccomend a 2 stroke if its on an open boat and you wont be doing many hours. In 2 strokes i think tohatsu's are great value for money, They arent the most advance technology but its tried and tested technology that works. They are tuff as nails. I think a 60 Tohatsu 2 stroke is 4400-4800.
Hope it helps you.

deadbeatloser
09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

Intrigued to find out what people's thoughts are on this size outboard. Does not matter if 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Looking to power a 4.5m 350kg hull. Ta.

yamaha efi four stroke,as tina turner would hollow "SIMPLY THE BEST";D ;D ;D

pclevel
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I bought a brand new Yamaha 60HP 4 Stroke outboard about 2 months ago and have already clocked up 40hours running. She runs perfectly, starts first time everytime, quiet, only sucks around 8ltrs an hour and smooth as a baby's backside. I recommend this motor to all and sundry. Also I bought it from Yatala Yamaha and the service and aftersales service has been excellent.

hooknline
09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
What sort of boat you putting it on I have a 60hp yamaha 4 stroke EFI and more than pleased with it, love the fuel economy and just poor the fuel in no mixing.It's sitting on a 450 quintrex topender.

seajay535
09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
ill go against you blokes i have a 60 4 stroke merc and i love it just ask my mrs she reckons i love boat and motor more than her;D ::)

sharkymark2
10-09-2007, 07:29 AM
just bought a Yammie 60 4 stroke but havent been able to get out yet because of the poor weather:(. So tomorrows the big day to lose its virginity. Off to the pin to run it in a bit and find a channel out of the wind somewhere. I take my lady with me and she doesn't like the rough stuff ;). Hey where can you get a tohatsu for less than $5k? 4400-4800 seems cheap? I know the lifegaurds use them on their rubbers and trick them up a bit:). Must be ok to cop that abuse.

sharkymark2
10-09-2007, 07:30 AM
On the back of a V159 Nautiglass 1/2 cab.

Dunco
10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Herks, maybe look at the Yammy 60hp 4st high thrust model or at least put a foil on the standard version. Looks like the same problem as the boat i'm getting built. Fully loaded with three or four guys, you'll need that extra help to get going. Just an option you should look at.

Noelm
10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
people who reply will tell you the motor they have is the best, that's why they bought it!! and anyone who has a new motor and says it runs great and never had a moments trouble in 6 months SO IT SHOULD BE!!!, who would buy a NEW motor that gave trouble?? they are ALL good, the best factor should be the Dealer, if they treat you right, have a good service and parts department, and will look after you later will be a bigger value to you than a specific brand.

Roo
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
don't forget the current crop of direct injection 2 strokes such as E-tec and Optimax. i have heard the Yamaha 4stroke is a very good motor and is as light as the E-tec 2 stroke. 110kg for the Yamaha and 108kg for the E-tec. I have a suzuki 50 which is about the same weight but to go up to a 60 is a bigger block weighing in at 162kg!! too heavy!!
cheers Roo.

Coontakinta
10-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Have to agree with others here, the yamaha 60 4 stroke is an awesome motor. I was towed in by one the other day. Quiet & powerful, I'd certainly look @ one if I was in the market for that horsepower. Japanese made too. That can only be a good thing.

Noelm, have to disagree with you slightly. I own two both bought new. 1996 25hp Johnson & 90hp TLDI Tohatsu. Sure I'd buy another tohatsu for sure, but as mentioned above. Would defineatly consider the yamaha if I was after that particular horsepower

KGW3
10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
And I saw one Being towed in the other week at Southport. Can't say my 27 year old Merc ever needed a tow ....;D

Dan5
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I think that the best 60hp in 4strk would be the suzuki sure it's a bit over weight compared to the rest but it's also 1.3 litre capacity which also give's it the most torque.I owned the 70hp suzuki which is basicly the same engine as the 60 and had it for 6yrs with no trouble .I recently bought a brand new 60hp 4strk yammie it's a good engine but not as quiet or as much torque as the 70 suzie which was on a larger boat.The barracuda should be transom rated to carry the suzie 60 4strk as my 4.5 warrior is 167kg from memory.The reason i went yammie this time was based on price $8300 and the way the tiller arm is set up with trim/tilt at your thumb and key on the tiller it's a very good layout for a tiller steer engine.The barracuda would be an ideal boat for the 60 suzi having the pod the extra torque from the suzi would be a benifit also you step up into more prop choice's with bigger diameter's/pitch's.But if your looking at e-tecs your proberbly not interested in 4 stroke's any way.Dan.............

Timmy94
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
j;). Hey where can you get a tohatsu for less than $5k? 4400-4800 seems cheap? I know the lifegaurds use them on their rubbers and trick them up a bit:). Must be ok to cop that abuse.

Yes indeed very cheap outboards because they are basic 2 strokes.
Currumbin marine sells the 50 for 4185 internet price but they dont have a 60 online, I cant imagine the 60 being much more because they are the same block just bigger carbs and wat not...

deadbeatloser
10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi All,

how much weight do u guys think 1 of these yammies will push????????????????????????
or wat size boat????????????????????????????????????

Dean1
10-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Definately a yammie 60hp high thrust 4 banger, ive been in several cats with em on and they are a trully awsome motor, very hard to beat, brilliant engine.

Tangles
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I have a new 50 4 stroke yammie tiiler steer on a 4.5 sea jay, great combo, very happy with the tiller steer on this like Dan said,

mike

BigE
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
see yatala yamaha great dealership and down to earth owner. does good deals as well. bought my last 2 yammies there.

BigE

NAGG
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
how much weight do u guys think 1 of these yammies will push????????????????????????
or wat size boat????????????????????????????????????
My 60 pushes a 480 Hornet quite well with 2 on board ..... for 3 .... Id prefer the maximum 80HP .... Nagg

KGW3
12-09-2007, 09:08 AM
You cant go wrong with a good old USA made Merc. They have been making Outboards for many decades and don't make motocycles or cars.. so they can concentrate on being "No 1 on the water".
If you ever watch the powerboat racing events.. They ALL have Mercs.

Noelm
12-09-2007, 12:18 PM
hhmm I remember the old add saying, if you need to get there FAST buy a Merc, if you need to get there buy a CHRYSLER and you need to get there AND back, buy an Evinrude!

ozbee
12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
the good old days ,black anchors, fridges and jonos with that black box which if was going to shit itself was always after you stop, futhrest,away but they were tough i drove a 135 hp home with a piston and conrod hanging out through the cowling, now we argue over 2st v4stroke and then came along di,thank cripes it can go in both but alas does this mean carby four strokes will become old techonolgy. can you feel all those 4st owners becoming outcasts like the old 2strokers are but us di ,etec owners will we get swelled heads ,short lived i say way these new light weight turbo charged diesels being developed may beat us all

Murks
12-09-2007, 10:01 PM
well its got to be the E-TEC 60 for me, have not had any issues and is great on fuel and oil and is very queit
Brett

KGW3
13-09-2007, 09:37 AM
The "black box" is the switchbox, which was used on all 2 stroke outboards with electronic ignition and carbs.. And still exists on most of the latest 2 strokes with carbies these days.
The switch boxes did blow up on these (not just on blackanchors) from time to time and were not repairable, but compared to a modern 4 strokes with EFI they are simple and easy to repair if you a have a spare $300 for the part.
I suppose in the future we will all have Chinese Outboards because they will be the lowest price and the Yanks and Japanese will not be able to compete.

dan099
13-09-2007, 06:46 PM
i have had many motors and have not had any yhat compaird to a yammi 60 4/ mine has not given one bit of trouble and pushes my 4.6 mt glass cuddy with all the trimmings on it and three large men to 29 knts with ease

yammaha 60 hands down

deadbeatloser
19-09-2007, 07:20 PM
yamaha efi four stroke,as tina turner would hollow "SIMPLY THE BEST";D ;D ;D
sold is the f/s efi yammy, now proud owner of 90 e-tec;D

Luke G
19-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Have you ran the new e-tec yet mate? What sort of yammy did you have? and why did you trade it in?

Cheers

deadbeatloser
19-09-2007, 08:53 PM
;D ;D
Have you ran the new e-tec yet mate? What sort of yammy did you have? and why did you trade it in?

Cheers
07 efi 4str 60 awesome motor couldnt praise it enough,bought bigger boat.
havnt run 90 e-tec yet as boat is yet to arrive, 4weeks to go.
e tec sold me on the serving or lack of. yam was a bit exxy
to look after as i already hav another yam 4strk( R1) which has a draining affect on ones wallet,::) ::)

MyEscape
20-09-2007, 05:38 AM
I'd agree with what was said a few posts ago, almost everyone says the motor they currently have is the best etc. And that said, if the motor is say under 5 years old, well it should be still going like a new one. My car is!

Also I did have a 60hp Yammie 4 stroke. Bought new in Mackay. Nice motor and no complaints, but it did NOT ever start on the first crank. Not hot or cold. Wasn't ever a problem, just did not start first go.

Currently have a 115 merc 2 stroke. Also bought new and have to say it's a great motor for the boat I have.

Steve

deadbeatloser
20-09-2007, 12:21 PM
And I saw one Being towed in the other week at Southport. Can't say my 27 year old Merc ever needed a tow ....;D
probably because u cant tow an anchor(merc);D

Crackerjack
21-09-2007, 02:46 PM
HI, There

We just bought a 50hp Tohatsu motor they are fantastic. It is extremely quite and fuel efficient.. Apparently the old motors horsepower was rated at the flywheel however the new motors are rated at the prop. We have a 4.7m tinny and it get us moving no problems we have a lot of crap in the boat and we have over 400kg of people in it and we are scooting along.