PDA

View Full Version : Do we bleed em

Blaster Bretty
09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
G-day bloke's + Blokette's Just wondering if we need to bleed the good old flattie's, I always bleed tailor and even though you dont need to i'll do the same to bream but unsure of the flattie's,, Pulled in a pan sized lizard this morning in the broady and wasnt sure so I bled it anyway as ive always done but can someone shed light on the issue please.... incidentally I took a tumble in the drink just as I was about to call it a day. was spinning a lure off the "black pipe" across from the labrador boat ramp and as I turned and started to walk the pipe back to shore I was looking at my lure swimming ,as I was dragging it through the water when all of a sudden....Ooooppp's

Bretty

tunaticer
09-09-2007, 10:15 AM
heheh G'day Brett, Been guilty of paying attention to my fishing and not the rest of the environment before myself.

I used to bleed my flathead all the time until about 4 yrs ago when i forgot to bleed one. I couldnt tell the difference in the fish at all.

Some species, I think mainly pelagics or fish with a bloodline need a bleed if they are not going to be eaten immediately. Generally most reef fish do not need a bleed too. Sharks always need bleeding if you are going to take one for a feed.

Keep your eyes on where you are as well as your lure man. Wouldnt want you stepping off the bank into a crocs gob one day.

Jack.

choppa
09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
i've never bled a flattie,,,, don't even gut em,,,, just 2 straight fillets and then the rest does it by itself,,,,

sharks as jack has posted are always best bled,,,, more due to the mercury content than blood though,,,,

how was the water temp by the way?????????,,, you wont be last in a long line of those before you that have had that happen;D ;D

choppa

Blaster Bretty
09-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Thank's to Choppa + Jack for those usefull hint's..Never caught a shark but will target some bull pup's this summer as ive been told they are the nicest??? well have to see.
The water temp was ok this morn,,,just as well coz I got wet to the neck line and a wee cut from some shell thingy's/ barnicle's?? on my knee + hand but my brother got a hell of a laugh out of seeing it and I even seen the funny side... it's just the bloody lure had such a beautiful action I couldnt help but admire it, turns out the nice action bit me in the backside...LOL oh and the rod got a good soak too, but all was retrieved luckily.

Bretty

choppa
09-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Thank's to Choppa + Jack for those usefull hint's..Never caught a shark but will target some bull pup's this summer as ive been told they are the nicest??? well have to see.
The water temp was ok this morn,,,just as well coz I got wet to the neck line and a wee cut from some shell thingy's/ barnicle's?? on my knee + hand but my brother got a hell of a laugh out of seeing it and I even seen the funny side... it's just the bloody lure had such a beautiful action I couldnt help but admire it, turns out the nice action bit me in the backside...LOL oh and the rod got a good soak too, but all was retrieved luckily.

Bretty

on the bright side mate,,,, a bit of damage to the the ""pride"",,, and lost a bit of skin,,,,

could have been worse,,,,,,,,,,,

brand new marine carpet has the most accident report factors on a boat opposed to any other factor,,once ""worn"" in this becomes less

choppa

Blaster Bretty
09-09-2007, 12:52 PM
on the bright side mate,,,, a bit of damage to the the ""pride"",,, and lost a bit of skin,,,,

could have been worse,,,,,,,,,,,

brand new marine carpet has the most accident report factors on a boat opposed to any other factor,,once ""worn"" in this becomes less

choppa

Yeah too right mate, lost a bit of pride today coz it all happened in front of my brother too who I took fishing to my spot..... Eeeek !! but as I said the funny side was seen right from the start but as "tunaticer" said, if that was up north or so there could of been a big croc waiting for that one chance he would of got,, as it was the depth was shallow enough so as I could clamber back onto the pipe and then jump in the other side to get my rod back....DOH!! but yeah i'll agree it could have been a lot worse,,,,A WHOLE LOT WORSE!!! on my toe's next time.

who said land based was safer ????

Bretty

lippa
09-09-2007, 12:59 PM
i brain spike most fishy's (ike jimy, whatever its called)
this doesnt allow the fishys to build up lactice acid in the muscles and delivers a nicer fillet in my opinion. i done a trial, with flattys and the quality in fillets was remarkably better.
dark flesh fish you have to bleed. white flesh, put a hole in its head.

enkoy

lippa

rockfisho
09-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I fish the beach and rocks predominantly. The only fish I dont bleed are whiting and flatties. I think the flatties taste fine when you don't bleed them IMO.

rockfisho

jtpython
09-09-2007, 04:10 PM
We bleed all our legal fish, not only for the blood line but if something happens they won't go off. Use a pair of supacraft tinsnips do there throat and then the fin.
This is our way of doing things wether it's right or wrong we have always done it.
Cheers Jt