ashh
09-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Whats is everyones feelings towards bullsharks:

- Kill them - theres too many of them.
- Release them unharmed

.....any thoughts or comments?

aussiefool
09-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Mate I did not vote as there was only the 2 options... yeah, kill em all or no, release them back into the water.
I personally do not have a problem with catching any thing for a feed as long as it is legal to do so. I do not belivev in catching any thing just for the thrill of catching a fish and I Totally against killing just for Blood lust regardless of what it is
Aussiefool
Andrew

bushbeachboy
09-09-2007, 07:08 AM
What are they like on the plate? Hey, they eat us and we eat them. I'm sure there's something in that somewhere.:P

bennykenny
09-09-2007, 07:16 AM
last summer i caught my first bully, and i kept it, he was about 4 1/2 foot so he wasnt a small one, and we ate it and it was pretty ordinary, so now i just relese them, this summer i wouldnt mind getting into a tagging program, i think that would be interesting, but i dont think there is any point in killing them just for the sake of killing them because they are sharks,as aussiefool says, 'I do not belivev in catching any thing just for the thrill of catching a fish', well i just cant belive any fisherman would say that ,the only reason i go fishing is for the thrill of catching the fish and i love targeting bull sharks because they are a awesome fish, especially when they get some size on them

BLOOEY
09-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Bung them back in mate,they are an apex predator and part of the food chain.Take these guys out and the balance is upset.You may even get an explosion in catfish numbers,and thats not good for anybody.Ben

dogsbody
09-09-2007, 08:06 AM
I for one like a feed of shark they must be bled and iced as soon as. I don't agree to kill them all because there's plenty of them or they are a danger you know they are there so swim at your own risk. If you release them do so alive please.

Dave.

choppa
09-09-2007, 08:07 AM
my brother n sister in law live on one of these canals in the gold coast,,,,, and yep as pointed out there's plenty of em,,,,,,, eating qualities aren't too bad if prepared,,,, but then i'm originally from victoria,,, so the old slab of flake isn't new to me,,,,

as far as a spike to the head or releasing is concerned,,, its just makes me think if the bullies weren't the problem,,, but say members of PETA,,,, well,,,,,,,

choppa

alfish
09-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Bung them back in mate,they are an apex predator and part of the food chain.Ben

we are also an apex predator, but hopefully a bit more evovled (most of us),if you target them whether it is c&r or k&g its all for the fun of catching fish.
what's the point of killing for killings sake??? >:(

if you want to go into someone's backyard you take your risks. ;D

al

sunrise
09-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I thought we have come a bit further then the cave man way of thinking of killing for the sake of killing ...release

Chas & Clarry
09-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Catch and release or catch and eat, not too keen on any other options...ps I love flake

ffejsmada
09-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with euthanisng them humanely with a brain spike and letting them become crabfood

In my opinion,I think people have got a problem with attitudes like this.::) Same as the Dic#$@%ds that kill stingrays because they're a stingray! Catfish 'cause they're a catty!

I have no problem at all with killing and eating, but killing for the sake of killing because there "is so many more of them" is ridiculous.

If you do eat it, you can then use the frame for crab food.

If you're not going to eat it, release it!!

Tropicaltrout
09-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Yep throw em back they are the apex preditor in the estuary down this far south, and are a vital part of the eco system, they clean it up from the sick and injured. if your afraid of getting bitten by on of these bullies don't get in the water.

TT

ashh
09-09-2007, 12:47 PM
lemme just clear this up a bit.

1) Im not a psyco, gungho, crazy, blood thirsty cave man with a bad attitude. Quite the opposite actually
2) Ive never brainspiked anything I wasnt going to keep to eat. I was meaning that I am capable of performing a proper brainspike. (jeffadams)
3) I have released all bullys caught thus far, apart from one kept for a taste test.
4) I have never had the frame of mind of 'killing for the sake of killing', thats just not me.

Even if this went the other way and everyone was like yer kill all the fuc&en bullsharks they are a menace, I would still release the ones I do catch just to keep the good karma goin.
Id rather the shark swim on by rather than take a piece out of my leg for no reason if I went over board late at night.
I actually voted no release them.
This post/poll was merely put up to get the general feeling attitude towards the bullys, maybe I wasnt clear enough in my first post.

Blaster Bretty
09-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Ive been told that the bull pup's are quite nice,,,is this true,,, never caught one by the way so will give it a go this summer,,, the logan river is just down the road and aparantly there's sh@#load's in there???
do they have size limit??? Heard a lot of storie's of them biting peep's and eating dog's but let's not forget they live in that water!!! why swim where we know they will be....puzzled.

Bretty... didnt vote but dont think i'd kill for no reason..... they havnt bitten me,,,,,yet!!

jackextracter
09-09-2007, 01:12 PM
yeh release them, killing thems like going over to africa and shooting lions just because they do show harm, its not right every thing is here for a reason.cheers.

ffejsmada
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
maybe I wasnt clear enough in my first post.

You got that right! Hence the massive edit in your first post!!!!!

ashh
09-09-2007, 01:41 PM
it wasnt intended to be a thread about my (mistaken) attitude towards them, hence the massive edit.

Hamish73
09-09-2007, 03:01 PM
In the past mMy girlfriend and I spend the summer months windsurfing at Manly. She has been chomped on my a small shark at the rock wall. It was on the bottom and she stood on it, it wasnt too happy about that and gave her got a decent bite requiring stitches. It was only a few feet long. I try not to worry about them, even though I know they are out there. I would prefer there was none whilst windsurfing, but thats not possible and we are in their zone so have to take the risks. Release them I say.

loophole
09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
why kill em . Is it just cause they pose a threat to us ?
they live in the water and we live on land so if you dont want to get bitten then stay out of their habitat and dont swim in high risk areas.

Foxy4
09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Why kill them just for the sake of killing a shark. I am not a greenie but can not see why anyone would want to kill them when caught.

They do help to clean the rubbish from the waterways. All part of the system.

GAFYM
09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Keep the first one (or 2) and put the fillets in clean salt water overnight then eat.
Good Tucker.
Release the rest.
Too Easy....
Bloody luvly in chilli beer batter

roydsy
10-09-2007, 07:34 AM
I voted.....fillet and release.

they are ending up in places where they naturally don't occur..... eat some of them.

They are a menace and there numbers need to be reduced (not wiped out though).

Mtx
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
They don't come in the pub to kill me so I will not go into their territory just to kill them.

Release...

Little grey men
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
This sort of thread always gets people going, until they were declared a pest or a noxious animal, which is not likely to happen, I'd just let them swim.

oldboot
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
So what are these bull sharks like to eat;D .... from what I hear little bronze wailers are the pick of the sharks for tucker.......from what I hear the bullies are a bit ordinary.

cheers

dave-h
11-09-2007, 12:33 AM
realse them... never caught one in fact never even seen one... however the day i catch one is the day my kids will wanna catch one and so there kids and on and on... lets keep them out there...

Davemclean
11-09-2007, 03:00 AM
What are they like on the plate? Hey, they eat us and we eat them. I'm sure there's something in that somewhere.:P

nah mate, they tend to bite then spit us out, for the most part sharks don't like the taste of human flesh, lol

I reckon it should be released, the water is its home, it has more right there than we do

rayken1938
11-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Definately release them. Treat them the same as a black snake . They may live to bite a poly, or a greenie, or an EPA person.
Ray

jpart10
11-09-2007, 07:06 AM
hi
I cant understand personally how there is a percentage of people on this site who would kill them i for 1 think sharks are being killed enough these days through shark nets droppers and especially the asian people killing them just for a fin. I think the Ausfishers who do this should be ashamed of there selves and stop.
Cheers Jpart10

xerubus
11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
definite release if you are not going to have them for dinner. why kill them, they are bloody fun to catch and put on a good show.

blaze
11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
hi
I cant understand personally how there is a percentage of people on this site who would kill them i for 1 think sharks are being killed enough these days through shark nets droppers and especially the asian people killing them just for a fin. I think the Ausfishers who do this should be ashamed of there selves and stop.
Cheers Jpart10
My stable fish diet is shark, I would eat about 20 x 1000mm sharks a year. They are gummy shark and a much sort after food fish in tassie and up there with the best eating fish in the sea IMO.
cheers
blaze
ps
dont agree with kill for kill sake though

marinetech
11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I have fished the logan river for bull sharks many of times and we always catch them for the sport and take the odd one home for the table there are a lot of bull sharks in the logan through out the upper and lower reaches of the river they are mainly caught during the warmer months of the year and when you catch one there are normally more to follow but i always release them most of the time they are good fun to catch on light gear with a strong leader we have had better results with floating baits but since they are scavengers they will generally take any bait no matter where it is in the water

OISTA
12-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Only kill it if your going to eat it. Otherwise chuck it back

i8Krusty
13-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Why would you kill something you weren't going to eat, nature has a way of sorting out populations....

tunaboy
13-09-2007, 04:41 PM
You cant kill them for what nature intended. Just remember! We are in their way.

Let them go or eat them.

Signed tuna boy.

haggis
13-09-2007, 09:14 PM
If you are not going to eat it put it back .
when they start walking on land instead of swimming in the ocean then yeah kill them . until then let them swim & do what they do .
cheers fae haggis ..................

ashh
13-09-2007, 11:46 PM
how would they go, or has anyone used them as bait in crab pots ?

Only reason I ask is.....and Im not sure if its a load of garbage, but I either read or heard somwhere that fish can 'smell' shark in the water and will keep well clear of them, just wondering if it would have the same effect on crabs...I do know for a fact they have a distinct smell, and anyone that has caught a shark will know the smell Im talking about.....any truth to whether fish or crabs can smell shark?....anyone?

ozbee
14-09-2007, 08:31 PM
crabs love shark but not fresh leave in sun for about 3 days when juices run black best bait seems to attract bucks rather than jennies. bit hard on the nose though.

oldboot
14-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Well I've heard that sharks love crab.... so its probaly a fair cop to use em for crab bait if you've run out.;D

cheers

ausswi
17-09-2007, 09:34 PM
yeah release them so they grow bigger,,,,where is a good place to catch them around brisbane..have 18ft boat

oldboot
17-09-2007, 09:44 PM
The first place I'd look would be Raby Bay;D then the brisbane river anywhere from the mouth right up to moggil & beyond.

Hot_Snappa
18-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I say kill every last one of them.........vermin!!

ausswi
19-09-2007, 10:57 PM
release them and let them grow bigger,,wheres a good place around brisbane to catch them by boat....brissy river???

omerstalka
21-09-2007, 10:17 AM
i recently read that there has only been 2 attacks on the coast in the last 5 years.
Also, I know that their favorite food in their diet is sting rays in which i'm not really fond of either but i know at least i would rather eat shark than ray! Any clues 2 cathing in coast canals would be very appreciated!

NAGG
08-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I've said let em go:-/ ( only because I'm not in favour of killing for the sake of it! ) ..... but I can understand why people would want to kill them... Nagg

PS ..... Send up the Victorians .... They'll kill them & eat them ( calling it Flake ??? .... They go nuts over eating shark::) )

charleville
08-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I have grown to love seeing sharks when I am out in my boat. They are just such beautifully designed creatures so I have no desire to kill them wantonly.

I have also learnt that anywhere there is water, you can expect to find sharks.

I am not even too sure about the local council swimming pool. ;D

Bris_Vegas
12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Whats is everyones feelings towards bullsharks:

- Kill them - theres too many of them.
- Release them unharmed

.....any thoughts or comments?

eat them or release them.
Dont kill anything unless its an introduced pest species.

Anyway they are good eating dead and great filters live.

Angus

Leigh77
12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
As many have said already...if you arent going to eat it, release it. Unless they are one of the many introduced species of fish, then kill it guilt free ;D ;D ;D

I do not belivev in catching any thing just for the thrill of catching a fish.

Aussiefool

Andrew

A little off-track, but I cant help but find that astonishing :o :o :o :o :o

Pistol_P
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Cant understand WHY anyone would want to kill them...
I had this discussion with a few peolpe recently after I caught some small Bullies at Noosa.
They are in their natural environment and have every right to be there....Killing anything for the sake of just killing is absolute stupidity and a terrible waste.

Pete

sandbankmagnet
02-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Can't say I've killed a bull shark for the sake of it, but I've killed a few mozzies that were in there natural environment. Is that any different? Apart from the size of their bite.

Pistol_P
02-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Can't say I've killed a bull shark for the sake of it, but I've killed a few mozzies that were in there natural environment. Is that any different? Apart from the size of their bite.

;D ;D ....Yes I have killed many mozzies myself....

From killing sharks down to killing mozzies......You have taken it to new level...:P

Pete

crossy
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
in the 1st couple of post some people said that any on who catches fish just for the trill is not a fisherman.... forgive me if ive read this wrong, but i fish for the trill of catching and yes somtimes i target sharks, not to keep or eat but because of the thrill you get out of pulling somthing of that size alongside the boat. i personnaly love shark and have dived with them alot and been chased from many reefs whilst surfing. i have sharks tattoed on me. my respect for sharks goes way beond any respect that i have for any human.

ps. no im not a greenie, i just love the ocean

Apollo
06-03-2008, 09:03 AM
as far as a spike to the head or releasing is concerned,,, its just makes me think if the bullies weren't the problem,,, but say members of PETA,,,, well,,,,,,,

choppa

This is the first time that I have read this thread, however I must really take offence to Choppa's comment regarding PETA. I have been a long term member of PETA and am proud to be so. I don't think people should be targeted because of their personal beliefs.

Steve
Life long member of PETA
(People for Eating Tasty Animals);)

Bris_Vegas
06-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I liked the second reply.

If your going to eat them keep them.

If not throw them back.

I have the same thoughts for any species except noxious fish.

Angus

fish-n-dive
06-03-2008, 05:27 PM
If your not going to eat them, then put them back alive cause they are an important part of the ecosystem..........if you really need to ask why then just ask and i will gladly illuminate...........;)

Blackened
07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
only one good type of shark and that is a dead one

i don't fish for sharks but if i caught on i would kill it before it got a chance to kill me

G'day

I think you've watched jaws too many times

Dave

JawstheOriginal
09-03-2008, 02:55 PM
only one good type of shark and that is a dead one

i don't fish for sharks but if i caught on i would kill it before it got a chance to kill me

ROFL!
Sharks have never, ever gotten up and walked out of the water and bitten someone while they were having a coffee on dry land.
As far as I'm concerned if we go into where they live, and eat, and swim, and we then complain when we lose an arm or a leg then it is shame on US.

The water is their turf. Yes, shark tragedies are sad but it's like those idiots that go and swim in the waterholes where the crocs are and then boohoo about how they were terrorized by this man-eater.

Humans are lucky in that we have brains to make decisions. We can choose to swim in the surf, or we can choose to swim in safer areas where we know nothing can eat us.

Sharks, like most animals, are just doing what they do when there is an attack. So if people wanna swim in the Brissie river then they can but I sure as heaven wouldn't.
I have an understanding with sharks. I don't go into their home and they don't come into mine.

GavinW
26-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Will this mentality continue to pass down thru generations? I hope not. I taught my son when he first went fishing (4 years old now 12) if YOU catch it and YOU kill it YOU eat it other wise you put it back. He now tells his friends that when we take them on the boat.I hope ive done my bid and i hope others will do the same.

BrewGuru
29-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I think we should take a leaf out of the spainyards book of entertainment.
The running of the Bulls is such an international event with the tourists from all over the world turning up to witness such an event, tourist and locals alike being imbimed with large quantities of alcohol before taking their life in their hands with these wild animals with the chances of being maimed or killed for the fun of it.

NOW if we could line some courageous imbimbed swimmers up in the canals of Chevron Island, Newport waters, burley the canals up with suitable chum and host the running of the Bull Sharks, Now thats entertainment!!!!!!!

Blackened
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
NOW if we could line some courageous imbimbed swimmers up in the canals of Chevron Island, Newport waters, burley the canals up with suitable chum and host the running of the Bull Sharks, Now thats entertainment!!!!!!!

G'day

I like it, imagine the advertising on the boards and flyers at the airports and I wonder if the americans or the japanese or the european tourists would be first in?

Dave

SASSYJNR
04-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Why Not Kill Them, They Are Increasing In Numbers So Fast They Need To Be Taken Down A Notch, We Used To Catch Them Back In The 80's But No-where Near As Many

Blackened
04-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Why Not Kill Them, They Are Increasing In Numbers So Fast They Need To Be Taken Down A Notch, We Used To Catch Them Back In The 80's But No-where Near As Many

G'day

Interesting view, I may feel the same about humans....... increasing in numbers uncontrollably, lets go knock a few off to bring them back into a "natural" balance of which I have no idea

Dave

ashh
05-04-2008, 02:12 PM
wow this thread still alive lol

SASSYJNR
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
:-XWho mentioned anything abotu humans Blackened, this has gone very strange, do you catch fish Blacken?? i do , and i kill them, i dont do the same to humans and wonder where your mind is to even put the two in comparison, very very strange.
Dude, they are sharks, kill them if you catch them, why not is all i say.
G'day

Interesting view, I may feel the same about humans....... increasing in numbers uncontrollably, lets go knock a few off to bring them back into a "natural" balance of which I have no idea

Dave

roz
06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
G'day

Dave

I was trying to get sassyjnr's quote in there as well....

Dave I think you have swum up the berley trail...;)

wouldn't mind betting sass has never caught one & probably never will.:P

Anyway..... I ate a small one once and it tasted awfull!!!!! Always put back what you don't need.

roz

Blackened
07-04-2008, 06:16 PM
G'day

Roz, Sassy... re-read my comparison.

Sassy, you made a statement regarding sharks increasing in numbers uncontrollably......... And so are humans, With your logic, should we not kill them as we see fit? That was my point.

Dave

roz
07-04-2008, 07:25 PM
G'day

Roz, Sassy... re-read my comparison.

Sassy, you made a statement regarding sharks increasing in numbers uncontrollably......... And so are humans, With your logic, should we not kill them as we see fit? That was my point.

Dave

Dave,

I understand the point you were making, and I completely AGREE. No need for me to re-read or expand further. My comment was a 'tongue-in-cheek' dig at (my view only) sassy's lack of commonsence.

cheers r.

Blackened
08-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Dave,

I understand the point you were making, and I completely AGREE. No need for me to re-read or expand further. My comment was a 'tongue-in-cheek' dig at (my view only) sassy's lack of commonsence.

cheers r.

G'day

Haha sorry roz, I must have been a bit on the defensive after reading sassys post first.

Have a good day

Dave

r3volt
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
So how do people catch them in the logan?