PDA

View Full Version : Static trailer weight?

dogsbody
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi folks, Ive just changed vehicles due to new direction of work and it says i can tow 600kg unbraked static trailer weight, maximum static trailer weight on towbar 75kg. Now i take it the last bit is the weight of the trailer/boat when you lift it on the towbar. How is the other bit worked out? Does that include the towbar weight or without it?

Please try to keep technical jargon to a minimum. :)

Dave.

mjbpjk
08-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi Dave

I would think you are right with the 75kg being the tow ball down weight.
Usually manufactures of cars and trailers recommend a ball weight of 10% of max load ie my bar is rated to 2100kg and has a max ball weight of 210kg. This is the accepted norm.

In NSW trailers above 750kg must have brakes and what is common on small to mid size cars is they don’t have the breaking capacity to pull up a load of 750kg unassisted so this is why they only give you a 600kg unbraked trailer weight.

Its my belief that the 600kg is the total weight ie axel and ball. which would be the same as putting the trailer on the scales unattached to the car with the jockey wheel down.

in your case the towbar max capacity is probly 750kg all up but if you want to move above 600kg you will need brakes on the trailer.

hope this helps

Cheers Pete

dogsbody
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks Pete, I haven't yet got a towbar on it as i only picked up vehicle today. I was a bit concerned about the towing of my boat but being a 4.2 tinnie with a 30hp i should scrap in with a bit of room to spare once you take into account fuel, fishing gear, etc,etc.

Dave.

bayfisher
08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
I suspect that the 600kg refers to aggregate trailer mass towable by your car. This is the total mass of trailer and load in the trailer that can be towed by your car. This is really quiet low as most cars can tow at least the average 750kg ATM trailer, but your new car may be a small car. Once above the 750ATM mark ADR's specify brakes. As a general rule 10% of trailer weight is the down force on the tow ball however this rule is not hard and fast and depends on trailer wheel placement. I guess what you should take from this is tow a max of 600kg with no more then 75kg on the tow ball to stay within the manufactures specifications.

Cheers Chris

dogsbody
08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Gday Chris, It's a 2002 Mitsubitsi express unfortunately but i must make do with what i got. It does not mention ATM just maximum static trailer weight if this means the same i wish they would just say so. I really need to be sure as you would know that when it comes to insurance purposes it could mean a payout in the event of a accident or my ars is hanging in the wind.

Dave.

bayfisher
08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
There is probably nothing else it could mean. The term Aggregate Trailer Mass however is not global term. The Mitsubishi express van is sold world wide (I assume) and not exclusively designed for Australia hence the use of another term. It would be best to contact Mitsubishi Australia for clarification.

Cheers Chris

Mad-One
09-09-2007, 06:55 AM
this is taken from redbook and are specs for 2002 express
Kerb Weight1290kg Gross Vehicle Mass2305kg Towing Braked1200kg Towing Not Braked600kg Wheel Base2235mm Length4505mm Width1690mm Height1840mm Track Front1445mm Track Rear1380mm Country of originJAPAN DISCLAIMER - LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

Hope this helps

Cheers Mad

Timmy94
09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Mate it SHOULD be fine we tow our small tinnie with a corolla when we have to which is not often but if mum has the big car then we do. Its not the best but it pulls a 3.9 seasprite with a 25hp motor and a fare bit of gear alrite. You should be fine and the mitsubishi express is a van? If your scared about weight of ure gear eg. Eskies, tackle boxes, put some in the Van it could save you 50kg or so.