PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten law.

minno
08-09-2007, 07:59 PM
I'll make this short. Is it an unwritten law, that when an angler catches a fish beside you, do you have to retrieve your line in or do you not. I think when someone hooks a fish next to you, you should pull it strait away.

But some people don't!

Minno

bayfisher
08-09-2007, 08:05 PM
If your fishing with a mate on a boat its common courtesy i ask if you want to up the other lines. If its on a public jetty it very rarely happens. In fact you may even get people casting in the direction of the hooked fish..::)

Cheers Chris

dogsbody
08-09-2007, 08:30 PM
It is a sad fact that some people just don't give a sh!t. Like bayfisher says it should be common courtesy.

Dave.

russ81
08-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Hows it going guys

On my boat it depends on how much fight the fish is giving if doesnt put up much of a fight i dont see the point of bringing in all lines

Cheers
Russ

rockfisho
08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
"Unwritten Laws" start to change when you are fishing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. If my line is in the path of another angler's line who has hooked up, i will always retrieve. But won't if it isn't impeding him pulling the fish in whatsoever. Otherwise you become unpopular pretty quickly, especially when there is a good tailor run on.

It really depends how far apart you are fishing on the beaches or rocks though.

cheers

rockfisho

imnotoriginal
08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Like russ said, if it's not kicking up a stink I don't bother unless they need me to net it. But if it's putting up some fight I'll pull my line in, grab the net or camera etc...
Joel

Chas & Clarry
08-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Yes, same as Russ, but definitely err on the side of courtesy...if in doubt, get the other lines out of the way.

minno
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
"Unwritten Laws" start to change when you are fishing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. If my line is in the path of another angler's line who has hooked up, i will always retrieve. But won't if it isn't impeding him pulling the fish in whatsoever. Otherwise you become unpopular pretty quickly, especially when there is a good tailor run on.

It really depends how far apart you are fishing on the beaches or rocks though.

cheers

rockfisho

Yes with tailor fishing, it cant be helped and in a boat. But there,s nothing worse than too loose a fish through line burn.

Fishing at jetties has to be the only place where people dont move. Do they think they wont get tangle!::) Gesssss.

Minno

minno
08-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes, same as Russ, but definitely err on the side of courtesy...if in doubt, get the other lines out of the way.

I totally agree. I have seen knifes pulled on the LBG scene. Its better to pull the lines in and get out of the way. Plus! you get to watch someone battle a nice fish in.

Minno

cammo79
08-09-2007, 10:49 PM
after barra fishing for a week with no fish all im thinking is which foot i should use to kick my mate off the front deck

hahaha

Cobia Kid
09-09-2007, 05:45 AM
i also agree with russ.it really does depend on what the fish is doing and where the fish is.
when my mates and i go fishing off the jetty here and a big one is hooked it is all lines in and work out how to get the fish up??

webby
09-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Minno You would by chance be back on this site under a assumed name to "Tunaman", as your posting with the same Tack ???? and the same post inquiries ??????
regards

minno
09-09-2007, 09:13 AM
after barra fishing for a week with no fish all im thinking is which foot i should use to kick my mate off the front deck

hahaha

You get those days.:)

Minno

finga
09-09-2007, 09:36 AM
My old grandad had the solution for people fishing too close whether it was on the wall or on the beach.
He used to smoke pretty heavily and if a line was close enough he's touch it with his smoke. No more problems ;)

lifestyle
09-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I think it depends on the fish you have hooked and the species you are targeting and where you are fishing. mackeral tuna snapper those which run hard then yes bring all lines in. Whiting bream flathead those which pull just a bit no. Public spaces eg jetties no because you are less likley to get the large fish.

minno
09-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I think it depends on the fish you have hooked and the species you are targeting and where you are fishing. mackeral tuna snapper those which run hard then yes bring all lines in. Whiting bream flathead those which pull just a bit no. Public spaces eg jetties no because you are less likley to get the large fish.

Yes, with big fish its best to get out the way. The harder they run, the higher the tention is on the line. But even on jetties eg, good sized fish can be caught.

I have caught 2.3kgs trev,s off jetties, but the problem was, I caught 4 other people as well.

Minno

Mod11
09-09-2007, 10:34 AM
You caught 4 other people. minno ? What sort of bait did you use to catch those people ? Further, why are you targeting people ? Further still, why are you targeting people here with your waste of space threads and comments.

You sound so Tunaman-like it scares me.

May I suggest if you having nothing of importance to say..... you know the rest.

chilli

( infraction to chilli. member has recieved warning )

disorderly
09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
May I suggest if you having nothing of importance to say..... you know the rest.

chilli

( infraction to chilli. member has recieved warning )

I actually think its an interesting topic.
As I mainly boat fish it depends on the circumstance.
for example when a pelagic is hooked all other surface lines comes in but if its a large fish and will take a while to land than someone else fishing the bottom is OK as long as they are out of the way and prepared to quickly wind in when a gaffman in needed.

Scott

gleeeza
09-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Look out here comes a Yellow card !!

My fishing experiences generally avoids crowds these days that is just asking for it going shoulder to shoulder with the great unwashed IMO.

Person with fish on has the call on my boat, if it is half decent then make the call or not. After being a deckie on charter boats I soon learned to deal with the odd knot I just make sure the other person(people) without a fish doesn't lock up on their gear it is amazing what you can get away with !!!

Gleeeza

roz
09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Is there an unwritten law suggesting that ....If you get banned can you re appear under a different name...... oooops!!!!! I mean stand back and let the other angler wind in their fish.. jeeeeze I don't know what made me say that::)

minno
09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Is there a name for whats wrong with you.;D

Minno:P

Poodroo
09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
A lot can be said for common sense and regard for your fellow fisherman. I hate the ones that come that close to you in the first place that makes you feel as though you should pull in if they hook up on something big. Personally if they were close by and hooked up I would out of courtesy pull my line in but also to avoid a massive tangle. Using expensive braid is enough motivation to avoid a tangle with someone else's line IMO.

Poodroo

Foxy4
09-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I view every situation differently. My boat is only ever family members at this stage, and we all know what goes. Jetty and any land base fishing is a whole different game.

I have seen some pics of Fraser from years back when the beach line up was about a mile (in those days) long of shoulder to shoulder fishos chasing the tailor. Not too sure how it all worked but it looks as though it was going smoothly.

Tropicaltrout
09-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I wind in when a fish is hooked mainly to help with the net but it depends on the fight aswell if it tiny just leave it in.

GAFYM
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Have been on a lot of charters and if everyone pulled in when a fish was hooked only one person would fish.

minno
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
GAFYM. Thats a good point! I guess the unwritten law Doesn't apply with charters. It would be a long day.

Minno

haggis
09-09-2007, 08:00 PM
It all depends on who you are fishing with & where you are fishing
there does not seem to be to much common courtesy these days whether fishing ,driving or retrieving your boat .
cheers fae haggis ......................

Mattg68
09-09-2007, 11:33 PM
it's all the same on boats I go on, 2-3 people, lines in. there's nothing worse than being fouled because of another line but what's more I would feel absolutely gutted if I was to be the cause of someone else's loss. of course this does depend on species being targeted, for example if we were fishing for whiting or similar then i don't really see the need to up baits. it also has a double bonus for the catcher as spare hands are usually maning the gaff & net. but like some said, sometimes it's unavoidable when jetty fishing but then again, it is avoidable being on the jetty in the first place.

it is an unwritten law but if rules are issued to the uninformed before boarding then it makes for happier days.

Matt

Little grey men
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Common courtesy to pull your line in I'd say.
I was fishing beside a little rock wall at scarborough, got a nice little flathead as two old blokes were walking past. One of them asked "what did you get it on",
after answering, they took off, only to return about five minutes later with their rods. I was standing on the sand and casting straight out beside the rockwall to a nice little patch of sand. These two rubberheads walked out the end of the rockwall and proceeded to cast over the top of my line. I just shook my head and moved on up the beach.

Dirtysanchez
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
LoL

It can also depend on the type of fish, I mean if you are out for a few winter whiting, would there be any point in pulling in your line ?

Oooh, grab the net mate, I think this one is going to pull line ;D
On the other hand, if one was targetting Tuna (man) then perhaps yes

Russell

minno
10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
My name is not TM. Thank you.>:(

Minno

oldboot
10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm no hardened seasoned angler but in my short experience its far from an unwritten law.

Under certain circumstances it may be appropriate but in an awfull lot of situations it would be either completely pointless or totaly impractical.

Under other curcumstances it actualy bad fishing tactics (I believe).

Its a far better thing to place yourself in a position where it isn't an issue. if you can.

cheers