PDA

View Full Version : Million dollar recreational fishing boost for Queensland

Big_unit
07-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Australian Minister for Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation - Senator Eric Abetz
Australian Assistant Minister for Immigration and Citizenship – The Hon Teresa Gambaro MP

Million dollar recreational fishing boost for Queensland

Recreational fishing in Queensland will be boosted through more than $1 million in Australian Government grants for 24 projects across the state.

Australian Minister for Fisheries and Conservation, Senator Eric Abetz, today announced the funding under the 5th round of the Recreational Fishing Community Grants Programme.

“More than $1 million will be provided to recreational fishing projects in Queensland in the latest round of grants, taking to 100 the number of projects funded under the three-year, $15 million programme,” the Minister said.

“This demonstrates the Australian Government’s commitment to recreational fishers to assisting the recreational fishing community to improve services and facilities.”

The projects include $97,500 for a fish cleaning facility at Mooloolaba Spit, and $89,530 for a public floating pontoon wharf with a ramp to the river bank at Boyne River.

“Another project will receive $54,349 to replace the existing radio mast with a tower at north Gladstone to greatly enhance the range of the repeater network,” the Minister said.

Queensland has previously received around $3.2 million for 76 projects under the programme and will receive just over $1 million from Round 5.

Senator Abetz made the announcement while visiting Osbourne Point at Redcliffe, with Teresa Gambaro, Federal Member for Petrie. Here they inspected progress on a previously funded recreational fishing project, which provided public access for recreational fishers to two platforms in the area.

“The two platforms at the Osbourne Point and Sheilds Street groynes in Redcliffe will significantly improve access for all recreational fishers and in particular, people with limited mobility,” Ms Gambaro said.

“Appropriate interpretive signage will also provide information to users in relation to legal size and catch limits, protected species and the value of waterways and wildlife.

“The importance of recreational fishing should not be underestimated because it provides many benefits for regional communities.

“There is a high level of participation in fishing and it has significant economic, employment, social and lifestyle benefits.”

Further information can be found at www.daff.gov.au/recfishinggrants (http://www.daff.gov.au/recfishinggrants)

NEXT GENERATION OF LEADERS - SUPPLEMENTARY APPLICATION
National Project (Held in Queensland)
Australian Recreational and Sport Fishing Industry Confederation Inc will receive up to $20,800 as additional funds to the Round 4 approved project to bring together, train and mentor the next generation of leaders in the recreational fishing industry.

ANGLER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT COURSES
Townsville/Mt Isa & Brisbane
Sunfish Qld Inc will receive up to $34,350 for the development training of more instructors and will provide an expanded pool of trained people to allow the Sunfish Angler Education Programme to continue well into the future.

BUCASIA BOAT RAMP - WIDENING AND CARPARK CONSTRUCTION
Bucasia
Mackay City Council will receive up to $55,000 to formalise boat ramp access to an existing unformed boat ramp at Bucasia. The project has been identified by Queensland Transport and Sunfish as a required upgrade to service the needs of the recreational boating and fishing community.

HULL HEADS PUBLIC BOAT RAMP FLOATING PONTOON
Hull Heads
Rotary Club of Tully Inc will receive up to $55,000 to enhance the safety of launching and retrieving boats in the tidal reaches of the Hull River, by constructing a floating boarding pontoon on the seaward side of the existing double boat ramp.

VHF MARINE RADIO REPEATER SYSTEM COOKTOWN
Cooktown
Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Association Inc, QF 16 Cooktown will receive up to $21,300 for the replacement of the current repeater equipment and the upgrade of the power requirements. The equipment upgrade by qualified personnel will maintain and accommodate the current and projected increase in use of the repeater.

BRAY PARK PONTOON WHARF
Bray Park, Boyne Island
Boyne Tannum Hook Up Association Inc will receive up to $89,530 for a public floating pontoon wharf with a ramp to the river bank. This will allow recreational fishers and other boat users easy entry access to their boats. It will also assist less mobile patrons.

RE-ESTABLISHING PASSAGE FOR NATIVE FISH AT HORSESHOE LAGOON
Giru
Burdekin Shire Council will receive up to $65,400 to replace the culvert with a hardened causeway and a series of rock structures to restore fish passage at an artificial barrier that presently prevents fish migration in low to moderate rainfall events. The creek downstream from the causeway will be stabilised to prevent further erosion and a series of rock structures will step the water down through a series of pools through which fish can migrate.

LAKE LENTHALL SUSTAINABLE FISHING PLATFORMS AND HABITAT RESTORATION
Lake Lenthall (Howard)
Wide Bay Water Corporation will receive up to $22,000 to construct a land based fishing platform, further enhancing the recreational facilities at Lake Lenthall while offering an eco-sensitive alternative to fishing in riparian areas and off the lake bank. The platform will be located at the Lake Lenthall recreation area, providing a safe and easily accessible recreational fishing site.

UPGRADE RADIO TOWER
Gladstone
Volunteer Marine Rescue Gladstone will receive up to $54,349 to replace the existing radio mast with a more suitable tower to greatly enhance the range of the repeater network. The repeater will receive the radio transmission signal from any vessel in range and simultaneously rebroadcast the signal on other frequencies.

SARINA BEACH BOAT RAMP CAR PARK AND SECURING BAY UPGRADE
Sarina Beach
Sarina Shire Council will receive up to $56,230 to provide around 50 defined car and trailer parking bays as well as a securing and rigging bay near the boat ramp. The area in front of the ramp and the road around the parking bays will be bitumen sealed to promote dust retention.

REVIEW, ENHANCE AND UPDATE BRANCH WEB PAGE SUNFISH.COM.AU
Hervey Bay
Fraser Coast Sunfish will receive up to $8,050 to modernise the Sunfish Fraser Coast web site. This will facilitate easy maintenance of the site and deliver information relevant to recreational fishing and tourism opportunities in the Wide Bay Area.

GROPER CREEK FISHING SHELTER SHED
Home Hill
Home Hill Boat Club Inc will receive up to $25,409 to construct a large gazebo with an extended concrete floor, tiled table with sink, power, lights, seating, partly fenced for child safety and provision for wheel chair access.

MAIN RESCUE VESSEL REPLACEMENT
Townsville
Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Association Townsville, Flotilla will receive up to $38,000 to purchase a new inshore rescue vessel to replace their outdated
vessel, the “Tom Porter”. The new vessel will be a 5.8m Seajay Haven aluminium vessel.

MARINE RADIO EQUIPMENT AND RADIO ROOM UPGRADE - VOLUNTEER MARINE RESCUE JACOBS WELL
Jacobs Well
Volunteer Marine Rescue Jacobs Well Association Inc will receive up to $15,223 to purchase new marine radio equipment and re-fit the squadron’s radio room.

PURCHASE OF RIGID INFLATABLE BOAT TENDER AND LIFE RAFT
Townsville
Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Association Townsville, Flotilla will receive up to $6,235 for two projects. One will purchase a new inflatable rigid boat tender, and the second will replace the 10-man inflatable life raft for their main Rescue Vessel “Spirit of Rotary”.

LAKE KURWONGBAH; THE CREATION OF A NEW RECREATIONAL FISHERY
Kurwongbah
Pine Rivers Fish Management Association Inc will receive up to $51,240 to create a new recreational freshwater fishery to service the South East Queensland region in a location less than 30 minutes drive from the Brisbane CBD. The funding will allow 140,000 fingerlings to be introduced, forming the backbone of the ongoing stocking programme.

ANGLER EDUCATION RESOURCE BOOKLET
Townsville
Sunfish NQ (Branch) Inc will receive up to $5,710 to produce a recreational fishing information booklet to enhance their Angler Education Program. The booklet will be distributed to recreational anglers and students who attend the Angler Education days. The booklet will be a valuable recreational resource.

UPGRADE OF FACILITIES AT JERONA BOAT LANDING AREA
Giru
Burdekin Shire Council will receive up to $49,500 to upgrade the facilities at the Jerona Boat Landing area, including a gravel car park, two shelters and five security solar lights.

LOUDOUN WEIR FISHWAY REPAIR AND MODIFICATION TO ENABLE FISH PASSAGE Dalby
Condamine Alliance will receive up to $63,000 to remove the Loudoun Weir Fishway, a barrier to fish migration. This will improve catches by recreational fishers and benefit anglers across the Darling Downs, including the major population centres of Dalby, Oakey, Warwick and Toowoomba.

COOK'S 1770 JETTY
Seventeen Seventy
Miriam Vale Shire Council will receive up to $94,000 to replace the existing jetty with a safe, modern facility that incorporates fishing, short duration boat queuing and sight seeing opportunities. The jetty will provide equal opportunity access to Round Hill Creek, Miriam Vale.

KARUMBA PONTOON PROJECT
Karumba
Carpentaria Shire Council will receive up to $98,502 to construct a public flotation pontoon with a ramp on the Norman River next to the existing Gilbert Street boat ramp, Karumba. The project will enhance the recreational fishing experience by providing vital boating and fishing infrastructure. The Karumba Pontoon Project will allow easy boat entry and exit.

INTRODUCTION TO RECREATIONAL FISHING PRESERVATION AND EDUCATIONAL PERSPECTIVE FOR YOUNGER GENERATIONS
Emu Park
Global Care Australia will receive up to $1,750 to provide an opportunity for fathers and sons to participate in recreational fishing activities. It will involve a two-day event aimed at building respect and understanding of marine life and its natural surroundings.

RECREATIONAL FISH CLEANING FACILITIES - MOOLOOLABA SPIT BOAT RAMP & TRAILER PARK
Mooloolaba
Maroochy Shire Council will receive up to $97,500 for fish cleaning facilities - two roofed structures that will allow fish to be safely cleaned and filleted on eight separate work benches.

UPPER BRISBANE RIVER FISHING PLATFORM AND SIGNAGE PROJECT
Karana Downs
David Roberts will receive up to $44,400 for a fishing platform at a high use access point on the Brisbane River in the Council community parkland (Kookaburra Park), Karana Downs, Brisbane.
Further media inquiries:

Senator Abetz’s office: Brad Stansfield 0419 884 666

http://www.mffc.gov.au/07/093aj.html

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks James. I did read this earlier this week but now have had time to peruse it.

As with all Grants from the Government, they are much appreciated and always never enough.

A couple of years ago, there were some "Fish Cleaning Stations " built at a couple of boat ramps around the place and at the time they were costed out at $6,500 each. I thought at the time that was way too much to spend on a " roof and bench with a tap attached ". It appears inflation has run in out about 5,000% as the 2 " Fish Cleaning Stations " to be built at Mooloolaba by the Maroochy Shire Council are costing $48,750 each. Holy moly.......... Then again the Shire Council are building them and you have to take into consideration the " time " factor. :-X

I also note that Sunfish are recieving funds to upgrade their Website. Not that I am against this, but has anyone here actually been to their website and more importantly, how many hits does it have ? Dave and the boys do the best job they can under the circumstances, but have been a toothless tiger for a long time. Although they do great work with the community at large.

I am not trying to be cynical here but, A Government announcement that states as bold as brass That we are supporting the Recreational Fishery with a Million Dollar Grant , does not wash with me. Sure, you are spending the money, but in reality I believe you could have got much better value for money.

Let's say that a privately tendered fish cleaning station went out, I believe it would have come in at about the 5 - 8,000 dollar mark ( even if it went to 10K ), hence you'd be able to supply more stations in more areas. I do have a working knowledge of the construction industry to assist with my ' presumption ';.

Further, a million dollars.... yeah right, anyone here have any idea how much GST ( alone ) gets collected from recreational fisherfolk here in Queensland. A million dollars is what you'd need just to do the paperwork to figure out how much the Federal Government collects from us.

Thanks Mr Abetz and Mrs Gambaro, but you have only scratched the surface in your attempt to woo the voting fisherfolk of Queensland.

There are many more important issues and causes that need Federal Goverment funding with regard to fishing in Queensland and maybe your staff can alert you to these. If not, get out there and talk to the people on the ground. We ( fisherfolk ) do not have hidden agendas or political aspirations, we just want what is best for all.

All IMO.......only.

Phill

Derek Bullock
08-09-2007, 09:45 AM
The big issue for me with these grants is that each of the organisations involved have to make application to get money in the first place. It's not like the Federal Govt have sought out organisations to appease. Each one of them need to submit quite an extensive submission to get funding.

Phill that Sunfish one is only the Hervey Bay/Fraser Coast Branch of Sunfish.

Derek

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2007, 10:01 AM
With the amount of ' traffic ' Ausfish gets , and the amount of information it hands out , I reckon Steve is up for a grant >>>>>

This is the place to come to get up-to-date info on Regs, Closures, Fish ID, etc etc etc................

Phill

Big_unit
11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I posted that info up to make certain that people realise that there is progress for recreational fishing, we are being noticed. I do not see the point of grumbling about all the bad things a government does, if you do not acknowledge the good things as well.

As for only a million dollars here is a quote from the original post -

“More than $1 million will be provided to recreational fishing projects in Queensland in the latest round of grants, taking to 100 the number of projects funded under the three-year, $15 million programme,” the Minister said.

Perhaps some cohesion and communication would be more appropriate. Im sick of hearing how this mob is no good and that group is useless and etc. I think its worth spending a little more time and effort on trying to get along with others as best as you can, if you dont like it then move right along. Will you write to them and say " I dont like what your doing and I dont want your money "

Derek,
If the government handed out money to who ever they saw fit then Im sure that would cause an uproar as well. You cant have it both ways, I think its sensible to call for extensive submissions which justify and fully explain why that particular group wants the dough - Im sure its responsible & provides the required accountability we all expect as taxpayers.

Cheers
James

FNQCairns
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Here you go fella's a million dollars as a payoff for the PRICELESS loss of recreational freedom and choice of movement...sounds like a deal to me:(

cheers fnq

Lucky_Phill
11-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for posting up the info James, but we are all entitled to an opinion.

Sure the money is being spent, but I for see it for what it is.

Contact Dave at Sunfish and get the figures on how many $'s the rec industry puts into the Queensland economy.

The Government doesn't handout money to however they see fit ( Joh is no longer in power ;D ) and let's also not forget that groups such as Sunfish depend on Government money to fund their activities.

It's all in my opinion only,.

BTW,, would you be happy, as a private enterprise, to have a fish cleaning station built for you for $40,000 plus ?

let's hope the funds continue to go to places and people that can do the most with it for the recreational industry.

Phill

Jono_SS
11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
phill. I know a few boat builders that could do you a good fish cleaning station for around $40k. and you could tow it to different boat ramps. and it would float, so you could launch it and then fish from it.

Big_unit
11-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I wonder how much it costs to give funding to every single recreational organization / group / activity in Australia ?

Fair old list of recreational clubs and groups with their hands out asking for funding, rec fishing is just one of many that gets addressed.

Horse riding - pony club, equestrian centre's, riding for the disabled & etc
Gun clubs
Sport clubs - athletics, league, netball, union, soccer, hockey, cricket & etc
4x4 clubs, motor bike clubs, car clubs & etc
Scouts, Girl guides & etc
Show societies.
Dog clubs.
Water sports - swimming, surfing, canoeing, kayaking & etc
Rural Youth Association.

Lots of these groups do their own fund raising eg; raffles, permits, membership fee's.

The only recreational fishing group that has a user pays system that I am aware of, are the folks that buy a Stocked Impoundment Permit. Correct if I am wrong.

Cheers
James

Lucky_Phill
13-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Yep SIP's serve their purpose, but this thread was to do with Recreational Fishing and the Government grants for that purpose.

I was pointing out that the Recreational Fishing Industry puts in millions and millions of dollars to the Qld economy and Federal economy and we ( I believe ) do not get a reasonable return for our investment.

If the Dog Clubs, Pony Clubs want funding, that is their business and how they raise those funds is totally up to them.

The point of this thread, as started by you James, was to point out the money being granted to " Fishing " entities by the federal Govt. The thread topic should remain the focus of this dicussion.

SO,, James,, to repeat my question.. would YOU be happy to pay 45 grand for a fish cleaning station ????

Cheers Phill