PDA

View Full Version : 2 pack Epoxy

snipe
07-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Guys, just finished rolling a Shikari barra baitcaster, one of a number of blanks a mate imported from the US. Its a nice little weapon.8-)

But....

Went to use my old 2 pack Erskines epoxy and found it had gone bad, been a few years since I made a rod.:'( :'( :'(

Since I need to rebuy, what is the general consensus on the best epoxy to finish the guides off these days. Erskines was always the standard - interested to know what is around these days - value and quality.

Regards and thanks

Snipe

finga
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Flex coat is the go IMO. :)

Owen
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't have much time for the Erskines epoxy (had some bad results), but I use his CP.
I am using Threadmaster epoxy and find it very good.
I think they are all probably OK if you develop a system that suits the individual product and the thread it's going on.
cheers,
Owen

snipe
08-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys, did a bit more reading last night through some other threads - it appears the flex coat is popular and with a bit of care / preparation delivers a good result. Will have a look at the threadmaster too.

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Flex-Coat Light for the flick sticks and Flex-Coat High Build for offshore rods.

IMO..... the best I've used. No bubbles, easy to work, doesn't yellow.

Phill

roz
08-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi snipe,

What happened to your Erskines??? If you had crystalization in one of the two parts you would only need to slowly warm it, or a very SHORT zap in the microwave will fix the problem.

I use both erskines and flex coat.

I find flex coat is the better product, you won't have as much of a problem with bubbles using Flexcoat as you may with erskines, having said that, with a bit of extra care you will also get a very good result with erskines.

I've never had any problems with yellowing using erskines.

Imo go with the Flexcoat if you can.

good luck
roz