PDA

View Full Version : How good are Hooker boats???

ffejsmada
07-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Am thinking and dreaming about purchasing a new boat.
Had my mind set on a platey but am now thinking of glass. I like the american Scout boats but am now looking at the Hooker range.

Does anybody out there have first hand experience, or know about the Hookers?

Must be good and tough boats as they are commercially used, are they dry, ride well, stable at rest etc?

They're a good lookin boat, are they as good as they look?

Cheers, Jeff.

Dr_Dan
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
am in the same situation as you at the moment.

Have spent a fair amount of time in a 5m hooker CC, and that's what made me start looking. Loved the boat. Perfect for the slop that we get up here in FNQ when the south easters are blowing. I found it to be fairly dry, but remember, it is never goign to be bone dry. The only time i could really get much spray on board was when beam to wind and chop. Then there was plenty available to "cool me down" when on the way home.
I have also fished (once) out of the 6m, that was a fair while ago, and only being in it once, not fair to comment on it. But must say, didn't have any problems jump out then.

From what i have heard, the 6m tends to have a tendency to roll a bit at rest. Didn't have any problem with the 5m doing this, might have been a weight issue, the 5m was generally pretty well loaded when i was using it. From what i've heard from others, the 6m does have a bit of an unsure under foot feeling, but is fine once you get used to it? Hmmmmmmmm. This is due to the deeper V than most longboats, and beam of only 1.85m, so she's long and narrow.

I haven't spent much time in any of the other similar brands, so can't comment.

Hope it is a bit of help.

Dan

ffejsmada
07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks Dan, So from what I can gather, they are more suited to sloppy, wind chop kind of sea rather than a 2metre swelly kind of sea?

What I'm getting at is, do you think they are more suited for inside the reef rather than the open sea and a Bar crossing???

The bloke at the dealers actually told me that they are a little joggly but
"you'll get used to it".

Jeff

Dr_Dan
07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Personally, would rather use it inside the reef. Haven't had much experience with swell having grown up and done pretty much all of my boating in FNQ.

Boris Slaven
17-09-2007, 08:06 AM
I have just purchased a second hand 5.9 Hooker and have used it three times. I have previously owned numerous tinnies and two Polycrafts and this is by far the best boat that I have ever ridden in. I expected it to be unstable because it is so narrow, however I was pleasantly surprised with it's stability and it cuts through the job like a knife...an unbelievable ride. It is easy to tow and doesn't require a big motor.

Boris Slaven
17-09-2007, 08:11 AM
STOP PRESS...I forgot to add something. I meant to mention that a similar boat that is worth looking at is the WAHOO which are made on the Gold Coast by Roy Jervis...phone no. 55 632 333.