PDA

View Full Version : Changing trebles on HBs

the gecko
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Is there some trick to this that makes it easy?

Im having all sorts of trouble. Ive got those small jewlers type screwdrivers that you get in the cheap shops, and try to pry open the split rings. Bugger me if I havent had a few Owner trebles in the fingers. At least they dont go in the skin deep cos Im careful.

How does everybody else do it?

cheers
Andrew

wheelerdog
07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
go to the tackle shop or online and get some split ring pliers. they are between 10 and 20 bucks from memory, they have a little hook on the end that opens the split and you can then feed the ring on or off.

cheers

ffejsmada
07-09-2007, 01:25 PM
No doubt about it, the split ring pliers are the go.

If you haven't got split ring pliers, use a big hook and push the point down between the rings to open them up.

This works well.

Jeff.

DHM77
07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Andrew,
As above the split ring pliers are good, but I have found for the really small split rings there is a better option. I think that 'Smiths' make a set of split ring tweezers, or pincettes?. They are the easiest thing that I have found for changing over the small trebles and rings. Price is around $13 - $16 per set. Well worth the money in my opinion. I think that mo tackle have them and possibl;y b c f. If you need any more info drop me a pm.
Regards,
Dave

SCOTTYGC
07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
i also have the smiths tweezers for the smaller split ring and they work a treat
got them from dougies for about $16

TheSaint
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM

I've got some surecatch ones from kmart for $4 that work a treat on all my HB's..

wheelerdog
08-09-2007, 07:55 AM
the tweezers sound interesting for smaller stuff, i have found the split ring pliers struggle to handle the extra heavy duty "Decoy" rings i use on big poppers for GT's.

for everything else they are fine though

gone_phishin
08-09-2007, 09:00 AM
I've just finished putting split rings and owner trebles on 100 slugs...whew...and find the easiest way is to use the pliers, but leave the ring on the table and place pliers over the ring and then pick up. This gives a natural grip that automatically opens the ring. Always slide your treble or lure onto the longest section of the ring and don't be fooled into trying to put it on a 3 or 4 mm piece of ring near the plier jaws...it will almost always pop off, or you can't manouver the pliers . Using this method it takes me about 30 seconds to do each treble and slug onto a size 2 to 5 owner ring.

Geoff

NAGG
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

If you haven't got split ring pliers, use a big hook and push the point down between the rings to open them up.

This works well.

Jeff.
:o .... & I thought I was the only one that did that;) ...... Its a bugger though when you have to change size 10s on an SX40 ....... I fired a few across the room today:lolk: .... Nagg

the gecko
09-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks heaps guys. Its amazing what you can learn on ausfish......

Andrew