PDA

View Full Version : Ausfisher of the year

Horse
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Is there a place for an award for the Ausfisher of the year?

I'm not talking the person who posts the most or catches the biggest and best fish but rather someone who personifies what Ausfish is all about through sharing info and helping others.

It could be named at Xmas drinkies or a M&G

Any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

Neil

jamesryan30
05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I am in. I have a spare Ausfish sticker here. Any takers??

nuggstar
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
i will take the sticker hehe. it look sweet on my yak

snelly1971
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I will throw 2 names in....GM...or BM...I just wish i had half there Knowledge...

Mick

reidy_g
06-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Love it. Great idea. Poll format from a list selected by Mods or nominations from everyone or # of times thanked over the year? How would you select?

finga
06-09-2007, 07:29 AM
The award would have to go to Steve just for keeping the bloody place going.
Without him there would no Ausfish.
He may be the owner but and Ausfisher as well :)

Noelm
06-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I might get the award for the biggest whinger! gee that would be something to be proud of huh!

Tailortaker
06-09-2007, 08:34 AM
I might get the award for the biggest whinger! gee that would be something to be proud of huh!
You've got my vote there mate;D ;D ;D
________
Zoloft Settlements (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

choppa
06-09-2007, 08:38 AM
The award would have to go to Steve just for keeping the bloody place going.
Without him there would no Ausfish.
He may be the owner but and Ausfisher as well :)

your being a bit modest here aren't ya scotty?????????

for someone who has NEVER said no to anyone seeking help,,, or just plain going outta your way to assist others,,,,,,,,

whats that we were talking about on your recent visit,,,,,,,,, it puts a smile on their face or something??????????;D ;D

you've got my vote

choppa

Noelm
06-09-2007, 09:48 AM
holy crap! I just looked at my 'thing" on the side and I have been thanked 70 times, I must be getting soft! so all you guys look out from here on, no more mister nice guy!!

Argle
06-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Id put a vote in for Finga as well, never seen anyone so eager to help people for no reward other than the knowledge of helping another. Good on ya Finga, award or no award we could do with more blokes like you. Grand Marlin/BM/Blackened would also have to rate a mention for the expertise they freely offer to anyone.

Cheers and beers
Scott

Noelm
06-09-2007, 10:10 AM
yep all those guys and throw in FNQ as well as a pile of other guys, how could you ever really seperate one from the many??

STUIE63
06-09-2007, 10:29 AM
:D I'm not going to name any because if you have a list of names then you always leave someone out it would be so easy to come up with 20 on the list but sometimes it is a ausfisher who rarely gets on who helps. I would just like to say thank you to the ausfish community in general everyone makes ausfish what it is
Stuie

reidy_g
06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I'd be interested in what Steve and the Mods think. Its got legs I reckon.

Foxy4
06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I agree with Finga. Steve would be my number 1 choice. Geez after that, i can think of another couple that would have to be in with a show.

loophole
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
great idea also thanks to all ausfishers who regulary make this site what it is .

mod5
06-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Similar thread here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=54068

Didley
06-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd like to nominate Myself ;D , I'm one of the nicest blokes you'd ever want to meet, what is the prize for this again? A new rod & reel would be good. If that's no good Clint06 needs an honourable mention for the post below a week or two back.

found gear at scarborough ramp
found a couple of rods and reels and a tackle box last night at scarborough boat ramp. looks like someone was packing up the boat and left them on the ground..

would like to see them returned as i know the pain of losing good gear.

charleville
06-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I love this site and I have to say that I am not in favor of such an award.

1. The Victorian site Fishnet.com.au has such an award and although I don't frequent that site any more and have no current knowledge, it seemed to me when I did that whilst there was considerable enthusiasm for such an award, which in their case, is monthly, it was down to one South Australian member to make the selection every month. I am sure that there was nothing wrong with his choices but my point is that maintenance of such award processes has the potential to become a bit burdensome once the initial enthusiasm for the idea wilts amongst the general membership population.

2. I get great help and advice from many members on this site. eg Webby has been extremely generous in his tips both in the public forums and in private mail and likewise Finga has offered great help to me after reading something in one of my posts and several members have PM'ed me with their special GPS marks at places like Harries. In fact, I receive quite lot of advice through PMs and even a few free tickets to boat shows from different members. So anything that is done without fanfare in PMs would be lost in this process.

3. I would hate the idea of people ever being motivated to actively try to win the award with a pseudo contest being established. That might create all sorts of excessive behaviour. After all, look at the nonsense this year about who was awarded Father of the Year nationally - a bloody breakfast TV "personality"! Strike me bloody pink!!!>:( Bugger all of the good people working with crippled children or orphanages etc. - let's give it to some TV boofhead because his program rates well. >:(

4. One of the great joys of participation in Ausfish is that no matter what our background, income level or other status might be, we are equal on this site. I recall how the late State MLA Tom Burns used to say that fishing is the great society leveler as it is hard to be up yourself if you are standing in the same mud as someone else digging worms or whatever. I like thinking of all Ausfishers as equals and appreciate that some might have extra experience that enables them to offer guidance to poor dumb boofheads like me. We already have mechanisms for expressing appreciation - eg the thank-you button or just the written word on the screen.

If however, someone wants to do an ad hoc poll at Christmas time on who is the Ausfisher of the year without too many criteria, then that might be fun - but as for formal awards, I would prefer to see that saved for the River to Mud challenge each year.

Just my $0.02 worth. :)

nigelr
06-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Have to agree with Snelly.
BM and GM are both the first to chip in with absolutely priceless info.
Ausfish is extremely fortunate to have them aboard, IMHO.
Not that they are alone, what makes this the premier fishing site in Aus is how happy folk are to help others, really something to be very proud of.
Cheers!

Blackened
06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
G'day

There is no real way to choose. Just have a lok at the size of the member base.

If any group of guys, I'll vote for mr ausfish himself, finga, gm and bm and choppa.

At the end of the day, Maybe have a tiered system if it came into play?

A platinum member got 1 point, a gold got 2, a silver got 3, a bronze got 4 and a new member 5?

Just a thought to offset the percieved popularity.

Dave

castlemaine
06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Great idea

Steve B
06-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Scott (finga) gets my vote.!!

he cracks me up with his witty one liners!:D . He seem to always have genuine helpful advice and unselfish comments.

keep up the good work scott.

dogsbody
06-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Those that have been round long enough know who the good eggs are. Why does human nature say we must pat someone's back for them being themselves. If you do something good for a fellow member there is always someone else who says "your a good egg so and so" why can't we be happy with that.

Sorry i don't get it but if you got a thanks to your name then someone has been happy with your input. Isn't that enough?

Dave.

Poodroo
07-09-2007, 07:08 AM
There are so many members on here who are deserving of being a nominee which is what makes this site the great success that it is. The amount of growth it has had since I joined up is nothing short of amazing. The advice that I have had from numerous members in my membership time has been priceless and will never be forgotten. Choppa has been one of those people without going into too much detail and naming all the other people I would consider worthy. If I were to name them all I would run out of character space in this post and have to start on another reply. :P I applaud all the good eggs alongside dogsbody.:laola:

Cheers,

Poodroo

disorderly
07-09-2007, 07:52 AM
To try and give such an award to just one person would be a slap in the face for many.
There is just too many helpful people on here to narrow it down to just one anyway.
I'm happy for it to remain a non competitive forum where the members can already show their appreciation via the thanks button.
I'm sure that all those that so willingly provide such helpful advise derive an intrinsic satisfaction from helping and educating others that such an award is irrelevant regardless.

Scott

Scott

B_E_N
07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
regardless of a prize or not, all that have been named on this thread are considered highly helpfull at one stage or another. naming just one would leave alot of people out, i think being mentioned by someone is a worthy accolade, and no one is let down because lets face it everyone who has ever replied to someones question seeking help or info should be consider because they to have helped form what this site is today. so im saying i cant choose theres to many to choose from, its harder than choosing between jessica alba and erin mcnaught! you just cant! i couldnt say no to one of them lol

Crestcutter
07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Scott gets my vote as well, but how can you actually pick one. I mean Scott would get the do anything for you award , And people like Webby the old fart would definately get the most fishing related help award.

Pretty hard.

Darryl

Ps, I would get nothing as i have only been thanked once, and i think that was a mistake;D

Tailortaker
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I wouldnt know who to vote for as I've been given so much good info and advice by heaps of members. There are a few that stand out for different reasons but there are to many "deserving" poeple.
________
Xxx Amateur Tube (http://www.####tube.com/)

Didley
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
My wife has made the generous offer of a set of ex US army camo fishing gear, and a one way flight to Bagdad to fish the Tigerus River for bass. But said the offer only stands if I win. On that note she’d like to second my nomination.

BigE
07-09-2007, 11:42 AM
seems to be some debate about the critera for such a prestigious award..... perhaps a swim suit contest ........LOL could you imagine it (maybe its better not to ) Mr ausfish (steve) Webby , BM , choppa , finga & Mod 5 (i love that handle) at the xmass M&G in togs. talk about beer & skittles a night to remember for sure!!

((sorry guys someone had to bring it up))

BigE

B_E_N
07-09-2007, 01:50 PM
hey jen h is alright but erin does actually fish, watch the dvd 2 dans, apparently she even flicks sps around, you can jenifer ill have erin as my deckie usefull in everyway!

id rather have a girl that can fish instead of squeel, god knows ive heard it before and its the last thing you need while trying to get your 3gang out of a 4ft pike eels jaw::)

roz
07-09-2007, 02:22 PM
How do you choose one person over another? there are so many worthy people, it wouldn't be fair to pick just one.

For example, go onto 4x4 with a problem, you won't have to wait long before you have all the help you need, same for the tackle section, saltwater, rodbuilding, freshwater etc etc.... it's never the same person.

I could think of half a dozen people straight up, but I definately couldn't put one over the other, it wouldn't be fair.

Perhaps the chappie who can't tip, but runs the site would have to be close to the top of the list?????

roz.

Ausfish
07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Perhaps the chappie who can't tip, but runs the site would have to be close to the top of the list?????

roz.

Thanks Roz, at least I didn't pull out of the comp like some ;D;D;D;D

Thanks Horse for brining up the subject. I think it has made a lot of people realise that there is not one person on the site, but one site with many people. Would be too hard to single it down to one or even a few.

sid_fishes
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
have to admitt that without steve there would be no ausfish, then i would not have the chance to meet, chat and look up to poeple from here. to try and pick one, thats a hard ask, lets just enjoy what we can have and hope it does not change,,,, my thoughts SID

finding_time
07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Scott gets my vote as well, but how can you actually pick one. I mean Scott would get the do anything for you award , And people like Webby the old fart would definately get the most fishing related help award.

Pretty hard.

Darryl

Ps, I would get nothing as i have only been thanked once, and i think that was a mistake;D

there ya go!!! this wasn't a mistake darryl just pity;D

bushbeachboy
07-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I vote for Kingtin. Anyone heard from Kev lately?

Crestcutter
07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Cheers Finding_Time, your a bloody legend mate.:D :D ;D

Big_unit
07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Righto enough back slapping you lot, cripes the blue rinse set down at the local CWA hall would be calling you all SOFT.

Cant believe I didnt get a mention... LMAO

revs57
08-09-2007, 08:35 AM
There ya go Darryl, a second thanks just 'cause you're a good guy with a great boat!!!

Yep, Steve nailed it...its all the people that make this site what it is...I wouldn't even try to say one over the other, everyone here is a winner!

Cheers

Rhys

BilgeBoy
08-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Hhhhhmmm...If I had to pick...I would just have to give it to finga.

There wouldn't be too many long term Ausfishers who haven't been exposed to Scott and his kindness.

Onya Scotty

Regards

BilgeBoy

chopjr
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
:-* ;D ;D onya scotty:-X

(pop says so)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Crestcutter
08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Hhahah Thanks Rhys , what a true gentleman you are. lol.

webby
08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Well Darryl seeing as your doing some brown noseing and sucking up, i'll give you another Thanks, you happy now;D
As for voting some one Ausfisher of the Year, for get it, or if you do, come next year you'll have many plastering the board with posts just to get ingood stead for the next election;D, there's enough post alcoholics here as it is, just leave thing the way they are.
regards

Tangles
08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Ausfisher of the year, nice sentiment but reckon it opens a can of worms,
\
mike

longtail
08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Hhahah Thanks Rhys , what a true gentleman you are. lol.

have 1 more Darryl ;) 8-)

Horse
08-09-2007, 06:58 PM
It sounded like a good idea at the time but could turn into a monster :P

It is probably unfair to single out one persons contributions when the strength of the site is in the fact that a whole lot of people give a lot to make it what it is.

Cheers

Neil

Tropicaltrout
09-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the creator should get a big mention but hey all of us who play on here day to day all deserve full credit we all make the site what it is. The real winner is Fishing we all love it and thats why we on here in the first place.

TT

FNQCairns
09-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Agree with Horse above, this site's strength is in to total of all who contribute, I have recieved help and suggestions from many low post members in the past and have seen some of the most knowledgable/helpfull members move on and no longer post to the site, the site was/is in all truth none the less for it IMO.

The last thing the world needs is another fluffy and self serving industry/association grade of award:(

cheers fnq

charleville
09-09-2007, 01:52 PM
The last thing the world needs is another fluffy and self serving industry/association grade of award:(

Brilliantly put!!! :)

sea raider
10-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Together
Each
Achieves
More

That's what the site is all about, teamwork each and every person in the team contributes and that is what makes this such a great site.

However, there is not a team going that I know of that doesnt select a Best & Fairest or Most Valuable Player every year.

I think it's a great idea to have an Ausfisher of the year.

Cheers

Geoff