PDA

View Full Version : New boat comments

Synful
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Evening guys,

'Bout to make a down payment on a new tinnie from Bills Marine here in Cairns and looking for some comments on my choices. Config is as shown below:

Quintrex 400 Hornet WB (see info here (http://www.quintrex.com.au/BoatRange/BH40EO2L/400HornetWideBody.aspx)) and trailer
Yamaha 2 stroke 30HP outboard HMHL (info here (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/marine/prod_detail.asp?ModelID=8))
Lowrance X52 Sounder (info here (http://www.lowrance.com.au/home/sonar/x52))Total package including BMT, sounder, rod holders and battery all fitted is $9518.00.

Are there any Quintrex Hornet 400 owners here in Cairns who have any opinions on the boats and their associated performance prior to me signing on the bottom line. All the info I've seen seems to be that the Quintrex tinnies are reliable and not many people have bad things to say about them; the positive comments seem to outweigh the bad ones by about 4 to 1. :)

This is my first boat and wanted to make sure that the boat is solid enough to get between Double Island on calm days still the right config to get around the rivers and creeks here in Cairns as well chasing Barra, Jacks, Queenies and the like.8-)

If the boat isn't going to be suitable to getting to the Palm Cove side of Double Island on calm days that isn't a problem it was just going to be a bonus that's all. ::)

megafish71
06-09-2007, 01:02 PM
G'day Synful, are you sure you want to buy a Quintrex, I have had one (never again). But if you are, have you got a price from Greg at Hunts in Tully. He was almost $3k cheaper for a 200hp 4 banger a few years back. Might be worth a phone call.

Ron

Tailortaker
06-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I can't quite comment on that boat but my 1995 Quintrex tinnie is great, I get a bit wet on choppy days but otherwise I love it...
Cheers TT.
________
Xv1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV1000)

Synful
06-09-2007, 01:38 PM
G'day Synful, are you sure you want to buy a Quintrex, I have had one (never again). But if you are, have you got a price from Greg at Hunts in Tully. He was almost $3k cheaper for a 200hp 4 banger a few years back. Might be worth a phone call.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that - it may be worth the drive if I can get it for a few grand cheaper; wouldn't have their phone number by any chance would you?

Synful
06-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I can't quite comment on that boat but my 1995 Quintrex tinnie is great, I get a bit wet on choppy days but otherwise I love it...
Cheers TT.

Hi TT;

Wouldn't be going 'outside' on choppy days staying in the creeks and such...

Don't mind getting a wet bum from some spray but a wet bum from capsizing isn't my idea of fun ::)

Sort of decide on a Dory 420 after getting a PM from another member about the hornets in a bit of chop; seems to be a bit cheaper by $800.00 as well 8-)

STUIE63
06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Hunt's 4068 2222
Stuie

FNQCairns
06-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Synfull, you asked:)...Consider very seriously one of these instead http://www.quintrex.com.au/BoatRange/BS42DO2L/420DoryWideBody.aspx if you must go quintrex.

Honestly if you ever plan on sticking your nose out from ANY sheltered waterway the Hornet is not the choice to make. You will cut out 40% of your fishing (read FUN) options when the sparkle wears off with that boat and do 0% more or better with it for the average competent user over say the Dory above.

What you think you want now will change VERY fast when just 5km away there is a wreck/island/creek that the Dory will fish with the other small tinnys but it is simply not worth the effort in the Hornet to battle there and fight home afterwards.

OR seabreeze says the early morning will be nice but might get a little uncomfotable later =hornet probably will not go, V hull = suck it and see get back before it blows up too much, so a fun time was had anyway -priceless!

We get big tides up here lots of water flow for time which causes decent pressure waves at the mouths of our estuary/rivers (also very close offshore like 1km due to tidal flow), when the wind opposes your hornet is not even close to the choice for this and you will encounter it very often, usually unplaned.

Family members, friends will know that sitting up the front in anything but ideal conditions they are better to stay in bed than get flogged around, (I know it has the a marketed (marketing)hull shape) still nothing on a typical V tinny when you need it to be.

They are good boats just the useage up here doesn't suit them unless the owner is a very strict single use fisherman and honestly someone would need to give me one for general estuary/river/close inshore fishing days.

One bloke I know who moved up here from central NSW lasted only 3 months before selling his M hull Hornet, even he said he tried to stick it out but couldn't and now has his first V tinny and is happy as (after owning 3 previous hormnets). I would only go with him if I got to sit up the back all the time which meant I had to drive and I would rather not drive if possible.

Anyway each to their own you will have fun in no matter what you choose, I don't hate them or anything like that, just the list of common sense fishing options with a V tinny vastly outweighs the same list in a Hornet for the eqiv price and size.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
06-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi TT;

Wouldn't be going 'outside' on choppy days staying in the creeks and such...

Don't mind getting a wet bum from some spray but a wet bum from capsizing isn't my idea of fun ::)

Sort of decide on a Dory 420 after getting a PM from another member about the hornets in a bit of chop; seems to be a bit cheaper by $800.00 as well 8-)

Who was that masked man? great minds think alike....

Wahoo
06-09-2007, 02:52 PM
hi Andrew
im with Scott (fnq)
i just made a call and i can get you a 4.29 sea horse deep V, belco trailer
30hp merc
smooth water safty gear 12m rego
lowrance 240 anchor rope chain for $ 8600 all brand new

Daz

Dr_Dan
06-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Def would be looking at something with a bit more of a V. Even wanting to fish in the inlet, tide against wind = some pretty sloppy chop in there. Have fished around cairns for a number of years in a 14ft V tinny. Loved it. Could get you into pretty much any place mates vnose punts could, but on the days they would have to um and ah about heading out, would easily get me out to double, the wrecks, kings point, fitzroy island. Long trip, sometimes a pretty rough and wet trip! but as FNQ says, that's half the fun (when i was a young bloke anyho.......)

Only time i'd consider v nose is if buying a boat purely as a creek boat, car topper etc, and if i had another boat (dreaming now) to get me out into the inshore/offshore or larger rivers with.

In saying that, your best bet is to get out in a couple of different boats, see how they suit YOUR needs.

disorderly
06-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Some great advice above,Andrew.
You can take a V nosed tinny anywhere..You might get pretty wet and it might be slow going if the swell and chop picks up but they are pretty versatile.
The stacer that Daz has priced there sounds like a good value entry level tinny.
You would have no problems chasing mackeral around the wrecks and islands in reasonable conditions once you gain some confidence with the boat.

Should have added that with the money you'd save you could afford to upgrade to a decent sounder.

Scott

Kleyny
06-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I've gota 06 4.6m dory.
couldnt be happier

Tailortaker
06-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I've gota 06 4.6m dory.
couldnt be happier
Does that have a 60hp and a black ausfish stickers on it?
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

wazza66
06-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I have the 445 Dory with a 40 Yamaha and fish anywhere I like(canals,creeks offshore) off the Gold Coast.

As long as you know the weather forecast and respect the sea and your ability you should be fine.:)

I'd give the the hornet the miss and go for something with a deep V hull for versitility.

Good Luck,

Wazza

Synful
06-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice; I think that I will be changing my mind for the Dory 420 now after re investigating all the information available, I was mad to consider the Hornet in hindsight after looking at all the facts. :o

Stuie: Thanks for that will give them a call either tomorrow or Saturday morning to see what I can get and if it will justify the driving.

FNQCairns: Not wrong - think that we were thinking alike ;D That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ::) I had hoped to use it to get out to around double island but again; after reading and researching properly this time, I am definitely better to go with the V nose hull.

Daz: What model Lowrance is that? Had a look at the Lowrance site and couldn't find a 240 there anywhere. By my calculations that price is about $38.00 less that the comparable Quinnie; that from Affordable cars and marine?

Disorderly and Dr Dan: Yeah guys, wasn't planning on trying to do a Steve Fosset and will definitely get the hang of things in the estuaries first before even considering going out to Double Island. Don't want to make a pest of myself to the coast guard guys; they've got plenty of better things to do asides from rescuing a goose who should have learnt his boat before venturing out where he's never been :)

disorderly
06-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Disorderly and Dr Dan: Yeah guys, wasn't planning on trying to do a Steve Fosset and will definitely get the hang of things in the estuaries first before even considering going out to Double Island. :)

You'll be surprised andrew.
I dont know if you have had much boating experience in the past,but even if you have not,then it wont take long till you want to get out around the islands and wrecks and get onto some real fish.
Your going to have a ball with this boathttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

ozlongboarder
06-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm in the market for a 4-4.2m tinny as well. I rang my local Quintrex dealer who is also a Yamaha dealer. Price for a 4.20 WB dory with a 30hp Yammy 3cyl motor (not the 2cyl 30 you mentioned) on trailer registered was $8650, $7192 with no trailer, or +$1000 for a 40hp. The 2Cyl motor is the low tech motor according to the saleman I spoke with. I did not bother pricing it with the 2cyl motor.

I have not purchased yet, still looking at all the options..... 4.1 Clark abalone looks good for just over 3k for boat only. I had at look at a bluefin 4.0 with 30hp Suzuki electric start on trailer for $7490, a big boat made well. http://www.coasttocoastboating.com/index.php?pageId=6419

Hard to justify buying used almost new when new boats are not much more.

Synful
06-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm in the market for a 4-4.2m tinny as well. I rang my local Quintrex dealer who is also a Yamaha dealer. Price for a 4.20 WB dory with a 30hp Yammy 3cyl motor (not the 2cyl 30 you mentioned) on trailer registered was $8650, $7192 with no trailer, or +$1000 for a 40hp. The 2Cyl motor is the low tech motor according to the saleman I spoke with. I did not bother pricing it with the 2cyl motor.

Oz, where are you located? Possible that the location may have something to do with the motor and price - shipping to Cairns can be a pain in terms of costs sometimes.

Also, what model was the Yammy? Wouldn't mind seeing if I can get one of those if at all possible :)

Synful
06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
You'll be surprised andrew.
I dont know if you have had much boating experience in the past,but even if you have not,then it wont take long till you want to get out around the islands and wrecks and get onto some real fish.
Your going to have a ball with this boathttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Hi Scott - yeah I have a bit of experience in the estuaries but nothing in any form of open water where things can change in a flash. Will make sure that I have someone with me with a bit of experience before I try anything like that!

Seriously looking forward to getting it 8-)8-)8-)

FNQCairns
06-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Synful happy to read you have changed your mind, the Hornet is a good boat just not suited for up here with the options that are just 15min away from many sheltered areas. If you do get the chance go the 3cyl over the 2cyl (but it's ok also), you will not regret it.

cheers fnq

ozlongboarder
06-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Oz, where are you located? Possible that the location may have something to do with the motor and price - shipping to Cairns can be a pain in terms of costs sometimes.

Also, what model was the Yammy? Wouldn't mind seeing if I can get one of those if at all possible :)

I'm in Newcastle, my notes are a bits scribly but I believe its this motor.
30DMHL its in there mid range two strokes

The dealer was http://www.terraceboating.com.au/

Another dealer I spoke to who had just lost there yammy dealership said to shop around, dont take any ones first offer as sales had been slow this season and dealers need to move stock... not sure how true it is but its always worth haggling.

nthqld
06-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah for what it's worth, I agree with whats been said Synful.

I watched a fella, not a real big guy, getting into a 4mtr hornet over the bow and the thing sunk down to the gunnel.

I wouldn't like to be in any sort of sea in one, doesn't seem to be much floatation in the bows.... bouyancy prob a better word.

I had a Trimcraft years ago, it was a deathship.

My Stessl is good.

I've been in nasty sea's in a Clark and it was good, especially in a following sea.

have fun :)

mrmagoo
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
For sure the pick of the small quinnies would be the Dory.If you can afford a little more go the 445 dory.
If buying the 420,make sure to re-locate the fuel tank in the recess between the anchor shelf and front seat.
MUCH better ride and weight distribution.

Synful
07-09-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm in Newcastle, my notes are a bits scribly but I believe its this motor.
30DMHL its in there mid range two strokes

Hi Oz,

Now I;m going to show my level of in depth understanding here (which is next to none) in motors and ask the ultimate stupid question; what is going to be the benefits to going to the 3 cyl motor over the two?:-[

All differences I can see are:
that the 3 weighs more
has a higher fuel consumption by 2Lt per hour
has a rectifier
fuel mix is 100:1 as opposed to the 2 Cyl which is 50:1Still I guess that that is why I am a network administrator and not a mechanic ::) ;D
Just want to make sure that I would be making the correct decision in motor as for all my ineptitude in this area, I do understand that a poor choice here can make boating a right pain.

Dan5
07-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Mate the 3cyl is a much smoother engine and would better suit the 4.2 dory as it would also have a bit more ball's(torque).They are a very nice little engine i've used them before.Dan.........

Hamish73
07-09-2007, 06:50 AM
I'd also assume the 3cyl would make more torque through the midrange aswell.

ozlongboarder
07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I have no real experience with either motor but I fish with guys who have and I have also picked up info via web research.

100:1 mixture is better for trolling-not as smoky
3cyl has a lot more torque for carrying more load
3cyl is smoother idling

STUIE63
07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
i think the three cylinder might also have the gas strut in it for shallow run and stuff I know it is this way with the forty hp.basicly the two cylinder is the poverty pack motor and the three cylinder is the executive style motor it will be quieter smoother and have more usable power this is the motor to get IMHO
Stuie

STUIE63
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Don't forget we want to see photos when you get her always love to see a new boat
Stuie

Kleyny
07-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Does that have a 60hp and a black ausfish stickers on it?

thats me

have you seen me out and about before?

bushbeachboy
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
G'day Synful,
I would definitely agree with the others here. For your first boat get a vee hull. You might end up buying a punt later on (and a hornet is really just a glorified punt), but start with a vee for versatility.

Don't just restrict yourself to tin. Have a look at the 4.55 Polycraft open boat. It will ride much better than a tinnie and be more stable as well. A downside is that you will need to buy a min 40HP motor for it, preferably a 50.

If you decide to stick with tin, look at some other brands before buying. Compare side heights, weight, room in the boat. I've never been in a Quintrex 420 Dory, but a mate has a Seajay 4.15 Magnum which is a similar hull. It is also a well built boat. Like any tinny, it is as rough as guts if you are at the front and there is any sort of chop.

My mate runs it with a 30HP 3 cyl Yammie 2 stroke. It is a really good match for the boat, and has plenty of power in reserve. It still runs and smells like a 2 stroke. The motor is all manual - start and trim/tilt. It is very reliable and economical. It has an SE Sport 200 foil fitted which helped with getting the nose down quicker, but was really just a luxury - the boat was ok without it.

My brother in law has a Stacer Nomad 420 tiller steer, which is a Seahorse with casting decks etc. He runs a 30 Mercury (Tohatsu) 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, all manual motor. The 30 Yammie 3 cyl runs rings around it.

I think the Stacer 420 Seahorse and the Quintrex 420 Dory are exactly the same hull, so it's worthy of your consideration too.

If you have the opportunity, go for a test drive or a day's fishing with someone who owns one. That will help you to decide.

From my own perspective, I've owned tinnies from Ally Craft, Sea Jay, Stacer and Stessl. All vee hull boats, and all ok. My current boat is a Polycraft 4.1 metre punt, and I couldn't be more impressed. I'm running it with a Yammie 40hp 2 stroke with power trim and electric start, fitted with a Permatrim. It's a great match for the boat. I've recently moved from near Ayr in NQ to SEQ>:( and haven't done any sea work with the boat. Around the Burdekin there's miles and miles of creeks. I've run the little poly into plenty of sharp chop (wind vs tide) to about half a metre, and more when doing a bit of bay work in Upstart Bay. The little poly easily rides better than any of the tinnies I've had. It's also very quiet on the water, and very stable. (It is a punt after all) It's also much tougher than any of the tinnies. And I have no worries with corrosion.

And I'm not very one eyed about it either.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck with your purchase and let's see some fishy pics. I will be the NQ boy who is green with envy.

Cheers

BBB (from exile)

disorderly
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
BBB,

I know what you are saying about the wheelie bins.Obviously a better ride due to the weight which also means you have to buy a bigger motor which means you have to pay quite a bit more money and with this sized boat, what really do you gain.
I personally think even if andrew wanted to upgrade later on that he would end up losing bugger all by buying a 4.2 quinnie or stacer.The boat would not depreciate much at all and he would end up getting not a whole lot less than what he paid for it IMHO.
I had a look at a 4.2 dory hull at Hunt's at Tully today and despite a lot of criticism about quinnie/stacer quality control on this site(particularly regarding welding) every weld I looked at seemed OK.
I would be pretty happy with one of these all set up ready to go for less than 10 grand.
Very versatile boat that would give great service and be easy to sell at a good price further down the track if needed.
A great boat to clock up a few miles in until you can convince the missus that what you really need is a 6m halfcab.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Decisions,decisions....

Scott

GAD
07-09-2007, 10:12 PM
G'day Synful,
got to agree with the comments about you beig sorry in a hornet , as in the inlet as the chop can get a bit harsh, and unless it was a flat day, you really wouldn't want to go outside, and there is some wrecks and close Islands , lthat are good to troll around and drop a few baits on.

Greg

Dan5
12-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey synful which boat did you decide on mate?Dan.....

Synful
12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey synful which boat did you decide on mate?Dan.....

Hi Dan,
Was going to wait till I had "done the deed" and signed, but.....

I decided on the Dory420 (http://www.quintrex.com.au/BoatRange/BS42DO2L/420DoryWideBody.aspx) with the 3 cylinder motor :-)

Go to sign the paperwork and place the deposit this weekend - been counting down the sleeps till i go to do that so really keen to get the boat and get it into the water for the first time (only 3 more sleeps to go including tonight) ;D;D;D.

Dan5
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Good onya mate she'll be a ripper!!Dan........

Synful
12-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I had a look at a 4.2 dory hull at Hunt's at Tully today and despite a lot of criticism about quinnie/stacer quality control on this site(particularly regarding welding) every weld I looked at seemed OK.
I would be pretty happy with one of these all set up ready to go for less than 10 grand.
Very versatile boat that would give great service and be easy to sell at a good price further down the track if needed.
A great boat to clock up a few miles in until you can convince the missus that what you really need is a 6m halfcab.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Decisions,decisions....

Scott

Hi Scott,

No chance of getting the 6m half cab; minister for Finance would turn into the Minister for War if i did that; but I like your rationale ;D;D

All up the boat fully fitted out is going to cost $9915 I think with the 3 Cyl motor as opposed to the 2 Cyl one (extra $791 or so for that upgrade - there goes the $800.00 saving on the Dory as opposed to the Hornet ::)).

A lot of $$$, but can't wait to get her in the water for the fuel tests and a drift with some SP's and a mud herring bait (http://www.agt.id.au/content/view/110/9/) on the way back to the ramp ;D8-);D8-)

Synful
13-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Don't forget we want to see photos when you get her always love to see a new boat
Stuie

Will do Stuie!

Can;t wait to get her into the water and flicking a few baits and SP's at mangroves here :-)

Was going to do the tests for fuel and the first trip from Bluewater as it seems to be a reasonably quiet ramp and is easier to launch on your own as you can beach the boat while you remove or get your trailer, but is gaining in popularity. :)

Kleyny
13-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi Dan,
Was going to wait till I had "done the deed" and signed, but.....

I decided on the Dory420 (http://www.quintrex.com.au/BoatRange/BS42DO2L/420DoryWideBody.aspx) with the 3 cylinder motor :-)

Go to sign the paperwork and place the deposit this weekend - been counting down the sleeps till i go to do that so really keen to get the boat and get it into the water for the first time (only 3 more sleeps to go including tonight) ;D;D;D.

well done mate you want be disapointed.
a quick deck between the front seat and the bow and you have a great casting deck.

neil

Synful
15-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok guys,

Well I am now well and truly committed!!

This morning I dropped a grand down as a deposit @ Bills Marine and here's a quick summary of the final product:
Quintrex 420 Dory WB
Quintrex TQ46 Trailer
Yamaha 30DMHL 3Cyl donk :)
Partial smooth safety gear for 4 people
Motor support bracket, ratchet tie downs and 4L of Yamalube
Battery, box, terminals and rectifier
2 x rod holders
Lowrance X52 fish finder with RAM bracket fittedIncluding boat and trailer rego, it all came to $10120.00.
Should all be ready for pickup by next Saturday according to Bill's Marine; as Big Kev would say - "I'm excited!!!" 8-)

Hamish73
15-09-2007, 05:49 PM
sounds good :)
I had a mates Savage ranger 4.2 out the other day with the same 3 cyl 30HP yammy, nice smooth engine, I'm sure you'll love it.

Black_Rat
15-09-2007, 07:31 PM
My first rig was a Quintrex Wide Body 4.2m and great boat to boot.

The 3 cylinder will be a smother running motor and better to troll lures with. Having said that I had the 30hp CV Yammie (2 cylinder) on the back of mine and it never missed a beat, a very reliable motor.

A wait of 1 week is great, I waited around 3 for mine, it'll serve you well ;D

Dan5
15-09-2007, 07:31 PM
It's gunna be a long long week mate!! Did they have the boat/motor in stock?They had to get my motor from south it took about a week.Dan............

Synful
15-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Ok guys,

Now that the boat is out of the way, I now need to decide on a name for the boat :)

Here's what i have come up with so far that has been approved by the Minister for Finance:

Croc Pot
Net Work
Beeramundi
Blood sweat 'n Barra
Leave Pass
Nag Free
Tidal Flow
Stiffler's Mom
Prawnographic
Alum BorderThe bottom three have been vetoed (women, they have no sense of humour ;D)
What are other peoples thoughts?

Synful
15-09-2007, 08:09 PM
It's gunna be a long long week mate!! Did they have the boat/motor in stock?They had to get my motor from south it took about a week.Dan............

Hi Dan,

Yep they had a motor in stock; see attached pic - strangely enough they had a boat in stock but not sure on the trailer :-/

Only concern for me is that I have to have the rego numbers (boat, trailer and motor serial) to get the boat insured before Saturday; hopefully they will be able to get that done for me by Tuesday at worst then i can get RACQ (seemed to be the most popular insurer here on AusFish in another forum post) to do their end and hopefully get that to me by Friday ;D

Hamish73
15-09-2007, 08:13 PM
you'll be able to rock up sat morning, call racq with the numbers and get a cover note over the phone and go boating immediately :) , providing the dealer gets it registered

Dan5
15-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I went club marine and got it done at bill's.I have dealt with CM before and they were very good on approval's and paying up.When i was guiding club would get thing's done fast so i could stay on the water.That little yammy will purr on the dory mate it'll be the nicest 2 strk 30 you'll get i reckon.Dan.........

Wahoo
16-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Ok guys,

Well I am now well and truly committed!!

This morning I dropped a grand down as a deposit @ Bills Marine and here's a quick summary of the final product:
Quintrex 420 Dory WB
Quintrex TQ46 Trailer
Yamaha 30DMHL 3Cyl donk :)
Partial smooth safety gear for 4 people
Motor support bracket, ratchet tie downs and 4L of Yamalube
Battery, box, terminals and rectifier
2 x rod holders
Lowrance X52 fish finder with RAM bracket fittedIncluding boat and trailer rego, it all came to $10120.00.
Should all be ready for pickup by next Saturday according to Bill's Marine; as Big Kev would say - "I'm excited!!!" 8-)

well done Andrew Congrats, time is going to tick by soooo sloooow for ya now LOL, good set up

Daz

Synful
17-09-2007, 05:59 AM
well done Andrew Congrats, time is going to tick by soooo sloooow for ya now LOL, good set up

Daz

Hi Daz,

Yeah, just waiting on the phone call from Bill's Marine today confirming when it will be available and I may have a chat to the boss about a sickie on Friday and Monday ::)

Once I get it; gotta find me some Trevor and Queenie grounds that I can christen it on. Love the fight a nice trevor gives and never caught a queenie yet ...:)

STUIE63
17-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Was going to do the tests for fuel and the first trip from Bluewater as it seems to be a reasonably quiet ramp and is easier to launch on your own as you can beach the boat while you remove or get your trailer, but is gaining in popularity. :)
Andrew is thi sbluewater in townsville or is there a bluewater up in cairns

ozlongboarder
17-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Nice work Synful!
Get some pics posted up when you get her. If you can let me know what its top speed is via gps once you get it run in.

Synful
17-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Andrew is thi sbluewater in townsville or is there a bluewater up in cairns

Hi Stuie,

Bluewater in Cairns mate :)

Synful
17-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Nice work Synful!
Get some pics posted up when you get her. If you can let me know what its top speed is via gps once you get it run in.

Hi Oz,

Will let you know when i get it and have done the fuel tests.
Dealer called me today and they don't have a trailer at the moment, so will be an extra week while one is shipped up :(:(:'(

Good thing is that I will be getting a brand spanking, factory direct, double shiny new 420 Dory WB fresh from the factory on an equally freshly shipped trailer direct from Quintrex so it's not all bad as opposed to one that has been in the yard for a while :):);D8-)

I could have still had it on Saturday but the trailer wasn't a Quintrex and was $150.00 cheaper (Redco brand). From what the dealer told me it is a better option to wait the extra week; got to like that level of honesty from the dealer in what was the better value for money.

The new one will be here anywhere from Thursday to Monday and it will be fully configured and ready to go a few days later ;D

Synful
26-09-2007, 06:57 AM
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!! - this is killing me :'(:'(:'(:'(
Looks like the boat will be ready for pickup circa Wednesday to Friday next week...

The boat and trailer are still in the transporting companies holding yard as they couldn't fit it on the truck last week.

All I have been able to think of all this week is getting the boat in the water and going for a flick and "christening it with some scales and fish slime"; seriously guys I've been having dreams of getting it home and putting all my 'must have' gear in it and sitting back in it with a nice cold beer and savouring the moment.

Now I have to wait another week nearly?!?!?
I'm going to be a nutcase by next Friday.... :-/:P:o::);D

FNQCairns
26-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Synful, come lunchtime today head to Bills find a tinny take a seat and have some lunch:)

Be carefull at Bluewater, that creek now has a low speed limit:( all the way to open water.

Shame about the extra wait, it's going to blow (again) this weekend anyway:(

cheers fnq

STUIE63
26-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Synful the worst thing is the wait I had to wait 8 weeks .I don't know how people wait longer. the night I got my boat home I packed the esky in it and had the only drink in my boat ,about three hours later and slightly worse for weather I went upstairs.
Stuie

Synful
26-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Synful, come lunchtime today head to Bills find a tinny take a seat and have some lunch:)

Be carefull at Bluewater, that creek now has a low speed limit:( all the way to open water.

Shame about the extra wait, it's going to blow (again) this weekend anyway:(

cheers fnq

Hi FNQ,

Yeah that is the one saving grace in the whole thing - the wind blowing pretty much all weekend.

Half moon creek - what is the limit in there now?
4 - 6 knots with no wash as per most ramp areas?

Synful
26-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Synful the worst thing is the wait I had to wait 8 weeks .I don't know how people wait longer. the night I got my boat home I packed the esky in it and had the only drink in my boat ,about three hours later and slightly worse for weather I went upstairs.
Stuie

Hi Stuie,

Know the feeling - I bet you felt damn good and proud after that though ;)

Synful
05-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Hey Guys!!

I picked up the boat yesterday afternoon ;D
Was a bit of fun reversing it up a driveway on an angle but that's something I'll learn to do; sort of feel a bit like Lightning McQueen - "turn left to go right" (there's a sure sign I've got kids :P).

I'll post a few more photos of the rig over the course of the weekend when I have chance but here's one to whet your interest :)

Little grey men
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Good stuff mate, I hope it gives you and yours heaps of good times for years to come;) .

Synful
06-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Well here's the photos of her all decked out ready for tomorrow afternoon's big first trip.
I figure that by going to the ramp at around 1:00pm I'll be minimising any inconvenience to anyone and still get in about 3 or 4 hours of fishing :)

Think I've covered pretty much all possible scenarios:
Crab pot
rod for trolling
rod for flicking lures and or SP's
rod for livies
rode for dead baitsAlso bought a Garmin GPS72 unit today as well; looks pretty neat when I was having a look at the features this afternoon. Another thread here seemed to indicate that this was the most popular hand held model.

Hopefully I'll get to file a healthy report tomorrow night after I get back ::) 8-)

loophole
06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Nice rig but its missing a minnkota leccy

Synful
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Nice rig but its missing a minnkota leccy

Hi loophole,

That's next thing on the list mate; "Minister for Finance" still rubs it in how much I spent on this ::) Might have to wait a bit for that one... ;D

disorderly
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you're in for some fun tomorrow, Andrew.
Just need a few more pots there because once you start bringing a few crabs home the missus will be happy that the boat is earning her keep..
I have just started crabbing myself in our little "crab boat' as the kids call it and mate they really love it,the anticipation as you motor up to pull a pot,and the excitement when they see a keeper in the pot is just priceless.
They like the creeks more than the reef and its a lot more relaxing.(apart from the midgy's,of course)
Have fun!!

Scott

Synful
06-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you're in for some fun tomorrow, Andrew.
Just need a few more pots there because once you start bringing a few crabs home the missus will be happy that the boat is earning her keep..

Scott

Ahhh; the old man is coming up from Brisbane next weekend and I have a feeling that few more pots may be on the agenda somehow ::)

FNQCairns
07-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Looks Synful good! so did you get out today, back yet? or still out? He He...
Have fun? What did you think of your new boat and how it handled? Any tribulations?? Any sandbars? Any fish??? LOL :)

cheers fnq

Synful
08-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Looks Synful good! so did you get out today, back yet? or still out? He He...
Have fun? What did you think of your new boat and how it handled? Any tribulations?? Any sandbars? Any fish??? LOL :)

cheers fnq

Hi FNQ,

Yep, I got out for a few hours.
The wife and kids came back a bit late from Townsville but launched from Bluewater with some assistance from a gentleman as I just couldn't get the damn trailer to go down the map straight :-[

So that set the tone for what could have been a bad day all round....

Once I got the boat in the water, I had no trouble with getting the motor running and then venturing off out to the front. I was going to head for Thomatis creek straight up; that wasn't the brightest idea as there was about a 1m swell and let's just say that it tested out the welds good and proper on the tinny ::)

I then decided to head back to Half Moon Creek and anchored up outside the headlands as there seemed to be some fish there on the sounder and got some good bites on my dead mud herrings but they weren't anything big. At that time the missus called and asked if I was going to come back and pick her up. So I headed back to the ramp up half moon creek and by the time I got there her and my little boy Matt were waiting for me.

Matt had done nothing about complain and cry that he wanted to go for a ride in Daddy's new boat so they went into town to get a lifejacket for him and he was all keen as to get in. Now it's important to understand that this woman has a phobia like I have never seen about crocodiles so the fact that she got into the water knee deep to get into the boat was an achievement in itself.

She wanted to go out to the mouth and have a look around so we went the short distance back to the mouth and once out of the marina area, put the boat on the plane which was just awesome.

I took them back out to the mouth and said that we would go to the channel markers then turn back around again as it was going to be a bit rough for them and have a drift on the way back. Some guy in a slightly bigger boat came flying past us causing the welds to get another work out with his wake (thanks buddy) >:( At this point the missus was starting to turn green as her sea legs aren't the best and Matt was looking a bit concerned I made a diplomatic retreat for the shelter of the creek.

On the way back in I found a log half out of the water and the sounder indicated there was a reasonable size fish there but no good.

So I then decided to have a rod with a mud herring on it out the back and flick a Gold Bomber around into the mangroves. Had several follows from fish and about 3 that missed when striking the lure.

I kept flicking the bomber around for a while but after about 20 minutes the herring went off and I reeled in a 30cm cod which was promptly returned to the water to get a big bigger for next time but not before he managed to nick my finger with a spike and the missus who again with blood, is not the best::) witnessed the first fish to come aboard the boat and little Matt was also pretty rapped with it as well. 8-)

Had a few more hits on the herrings but the fishing gods just weren't being kind to me today with regards to the gold bomber :-/ Between birds nests on the baitcaster and the trebles getting caught on the leader (probably needs to be a bit shorter) I put it away for the next trip.

To summarise the trip:
Firstly and foremostly - I need to learn to reverse a trailer. The missus used to reverse horse trailers when she was younger and she had problems but she got it right in the end. Again - a big thank you to the gent who helped us out launching!
Fish - Well nothing to write home about but I think that to go home "fishless" on the first trip would have been really disappointing. I got a photo of the little cod on my camera phone but Bluetooth is playing up pretty badly at the moment on my PC so I'll put that one up as soon as I can.
Problems - The boat was returned home with no damage and I managed to run the motor flush with no problems.
Tools - There's some arrogant pricks out there in boats who have no regard for other people. When I was going near other anglers or boats I slowed down so as to minimise my wash; the guy who roared past us at the mouth of Half Moon creek did so within 10m of the boat; fair go mate, I had a toddler in the boat and I was going slow watching my depth on the sounder. >:( This in my opinion was the only negative aspect of the day but not something that I'm holding onto. It's the same on the roads, you'll run into idiots everywhere. A bit of consideration goes a long way!!Nope, didn't run into any sand bars as we were on the run up tide I made sure that the sounder was on so I had a good idea of the amount of water underneath me at all times.

Did we enjoy ourselves? Hell yeah!!! ;D;D8-)8-)

I then spent a few hours up the hospital as little Matt slipped over while playing with a car in the lounge and took a chunk out of his forehead. Just like to say thank you to the staff @ CBH casualty - we spent probably about 2 hours there all up which for a weekend is pretty bloody impressive in terms of timeframe. They told Matt he's going to be Harry Potter with the resulting scar ;D

Looking forward to when the old man gets up here next weekend and we head to the Mulgrave river for a couple of days. Reversing the trailer won't be a problem as I'll get him to teach me - he used to reverse b Double's for Aust Post as a driver for over 25 years.

Thanks for the interest Scott; how'd you go - you were looking for someone to go out to GI weren't you?

FNQCairns
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Good wrap up Andrew, sounds like full steam ahead on future fishing trips. can see some weekday sickness coming your way over the summer:) Glad the little one is ok, a little ones blood is never nice to see.

I heard a good backing tip on here not long ago, hold the streeing wheel by the bottom only, if you need the trailer to go to the right you turn the wheel toward the right.
Small boat trailers that have as a result a short distance from hitch to axle are very reactive to driver input so they can actually be a lot harder to back than a 6.5m rigs trailer, so once you get the hang of your setup, your well set to back any longer length boat trailer.

My trip didn't happen couldn't get another body onboard, the crff closure + the unsafe side of snorkeling on my own made a solo trip not real inviting. Spent a lazy afternoon next to the Mulgrave river out Gordonvale way with the family.

cheers fnq

Synful
08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Good wrap up Andrew, sounds like full steam ahead on future fishing trips. can see some weekday sickness coming your way over the summer:) Glad the little one is ok, a little ones blood is never nice to see.

I heard a good backing tip on here not long ago, hold the streeing wheel by the bottom only, if you need the trailer to go to the right you turn the wheel toward the right.
Small boat trailers that have as a result a short distance from hitch to axle are very reactive to driver input so they can actually be a lot harder to back than a 6.5m rigs trailer, so once you get the hang of your setup, your well set to back any longer length boat trailer.

Hi Scott, thanks for that - good advice that I'll try next weekend.

You wouldn't have known that Matt hit his head last night; he's been running around all souped up most of the day apparently :-/

My trip didn't happen couldn't get another body onboard, the crff closure + the unsafe side of snorkeling on my own made a solo trip not real inviting. Spent a lazy afternoon next to the Mulgrave river out Gordonvale way with the family.cheers fnq

Hey good stuff!
Did you get a fish in or were you just quietly "sinking a few bottles of brown lemonade"?;D

Attached a copy of the cod that I got yesterday - hopefully the start of bigger things::) 8-)

Dan5
08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Did you polish that bloody tinny mate?thats the shinyest tinnie i think i've ever seen mate ,i hope you get plenty of blood and saltwater on her.Hey what made you get a dory over the hornet Ha ha Good luck Dan..........

FNQCairns
08-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Nice little cod, looks like the weather gods are smiling on your new boat, nothing but great weather ahead according to seabreeze.

Yeah had a picnic, threw rocks into the water for the dog (fools her every time) and worked on my 3 year olds confidence in the water with the aim of having her swimming at least a bit by the end of summer.

Was a nice afternoon it's a great spot not yet spoiled by progress or lockouts, not many nice places around these days to do the whole family thing on the spur of the moment.

cheers fnq

Synful
08-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Did you polish that bloody tinny mate?thats the shinyest tinnie i think i've ever seen mate ,i hope you get plenty of blood and saltwater on her.Hey what made you get a dory over the hornet Ha ha Good luck Dan..........

Nah, no polish on it - not that pretentious Dan. :)
That's the way she came from the dealer.

Hope to get plenty of scales on it over the next two weeks starting next Monday while I have some leave.

Gonna go do a trip to the Mulgrave river and when things get a bit slack, I'll go for a croc spotting trip up the Russell 8-)

Synful
08-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Nice little cod, looks like the weather gods are smiling on your new boat, nothing but great weather ahead according to seabreeze.

Ahhh, but I'm yet to start them - a lot can happen in a week ;)
If things stay the way they are might get out to one of the wrecks on Sunday; only half as much swell on Sunday coming according to seabreeze which should make the ride a bit more pleasant. Might change the motor trim a bit so the nose doesn't stick up so much before getting on the plane... :-/

Yeah had a picnic, threw rocks into the water for the dog (fools her every time) and worked on my 3 year olds confidence in the water with the aim of having her swimming at least a bit by the end of summer.

Was a nice afternoon it's a great spot not yet spoiled by progress or lockouts, not many nice places around these days to do the whole family thing on the spur of the moment.

cheers fnq

Sounds like a good afternoon had by all - well done!

disorderly
08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
only half as much swell on Sunday coming according to seabreeze

uh oh....looks like a monster has been created.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Andrew,once you begin scrutinizing weather forecasts a week in advance you know you have become a real fishohttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif.

The real challenge from here on is to balance your work and family life and not totally give in to you fishing/boating addiction.
I am constantly reminded of these things by my missus but sometimes I still relapse and focus on nothing but my next upcoming reef trip.

It's fantastic fun being out in your own boat though isn't it,Andrew.
When I motor out from the ramp for a days fishing it feels like a weight is just lifted off my shoulders.Nothing else really matters and any worries and stress just seem to fade away.
For me being out there is such a natural high.

Sounds like you will enjoy your boating as much as me.

Scott

Synful
09-10-2007, 06:43 AM
uh oh....looks like a monster has been created.;D
Andrew,once you begin scrutinizing weather forecasts a week in advance you know you have become a real fisho8-).

Hi Scott,

Sounds like I've joined the "elite levels" of AusFish now !!! ;D

The real challenge from here on is to balance your work and family life and not totally give in to you fishing/boating addiction.
I am constantly reminded of these things by my missus but sometimes I still relapse and focus on nothing but my next upcoming reef trip.

That's ok, I plan on only spending one day a weekend fishing unless I'm on holidays (like at the end of this week for two weeks), then that figure will go up quite a lot. In that instance then I'm planning about two weeks in advance :-X ;D Currently I have plans for fishing the following:

Russell and Mulgrave rivers
Port Douglas
Weather permitting a few inshore wrecks and reefs
It's fantastic fun being out in your own boat though isn't it,Andrew.
When I motor out from the ramp for a days fishing it feels like a weight is just lifted off my shoulders.Nothing else really matters and any worries and stress just seem to fade away.
For me being out there is such a natural high.

Sounds like you will enjoy your boating as much as me.

Scott

I'd agree with that - catching something for me is a bonus, I find that the water on the rocks / shore / boat is relaxing and similar to you releases all the stress. I come back exhausted from being in the sun etc. but it's cheap therapy in comparison and if it brings home a feed then it's even cheaper 8-)

Synful
09-10-2007, 07:01 AM

Hi Scott, did someone invite Mr Murphy into the coinversation??:'(

Looks like it;s getting up to around 15 - 20 knots for Sunday, the wrecks may have to wait a bit longer ....

FNQCairns
09-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi Scott, did someone invite Mr Murphy into the coinversation??:'(

Looks like it;s getting up to around 15 - 20 knots for Sunday, the wrecks may have to wait a bit longer ....

Damn the 3am update screwed us both! I am not going out until the crff finishes.

cheers fnq