PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Security un-hitched

macca
05-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi E1

I have a trailer that will be in an accessable area and I need to secure it.

I saw a few years ago I saw a locking device that was a post that could be secured to a floor which extended up to the trailer coupling where a ball when inside the coupling. Somehow it was locked in place at this point.

What this meant was that the trailer was secure and could not be taken away, unlike with a coupling lock where the hitch was secure but it does not allow the trailer to be taken by connecting a chain to it.

I have not seen this lock for a few years.

Anyone know what I'm on about?

I have searched the internet but can't find anything, anyone have any clues?

Cheers

Macca

reidy_g
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Klamp it make the best range of locking devices I've seen. Not sure about the one you mention but if there's anything close it'll be on their site:

http://www.klampit.com.au/

ovakil
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I dug a hole 100cm long 50cm wide 60cm deep put some hi tensile chain in,concreted,then wrap chain around axle with a big lock.

tunaticer
05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
a good temporary fix is buy some 3/8th high tensile chain and a good padlock and some yellow or red water hose to run the chain through. feed that through the rim and around the trailer chassis and padlock the ends together. it cant be towed anywhere if the wheels wont turn.

Some trailer couplings also have provisions to fity a small padlock to prevent the hitch coming off or going onto the towball.

Jack.

Spaniard_King
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Hitch Helmet your thinking of

http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/MG16-6+Theft

charleville
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
At best any trailer locking device will just slow down the thieves, not stop them. That is Ok when your trailer is in the car park at the ramp because it should encourage the thieves to steal someone else's trailer not yours.

At home though, I reckon two locking mechanisms would be sensible. I do have a trailer coupling lock but also have a chain concreted into the ground. Both are easily broken into but they do need separate sets of tools and therefore will slow down the thieves at least that little bit more. However, I would think that a wheel clamp would be the ideal second deterrent.

The problem with any sort of trailer coupling clamp as I see it is that all the thief has to do is to unbolt the coupling from the trailer and then lash your trailer to their towball with a piece of chain and tow the lot away. Not very elegant but effective.

reidy_g
05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
The biggest drama with chain or cable and padlock is most insurance companies don't accept them as a suitable anti-theft measure.

http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/MG16-6+Theft

SgBFish
05-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Macca
Get the Hitch helmet. If you are on the northside of Brisbane go to AtS Nets at Clontarf. They sell to the trawlers and sell 16mm chain get a few metres of this and the best padlock you can and put it through the wheels that will at least slow them down.
Hell I can’t lift 3 metres of the stuff they’ll make some noise cutting through it!!!!!!
Scott

FNQCairns
05-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I have a device that inserts into the coupling gets expended then locked off (completly forget it's name - Something Cop??) also a clamp it, the clamp-it takes some time to fit so I sometimes don't bother.

A lack of trailer lights is the best deterent IMO.

cheers fnq

SgBFish
05-09-2007, 07:19 PM
FNQ LOL.
Why not do what the council do chain to something and take the wheels off. Most scum won't have wheels to put on it.
Scott

reidy_g
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
FNQ LOL.
Why not do what the council do chain to something and take the wheels off. Most scum won't have wheels to put on it.
Scott

...don't laugh. My old man does that. Not only can the thieves not be bothered, neither can he most of the time!;D ;D ;D

finga
05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
This is how I secure one of my boats.
it sits about 4 feet above the garden.
The boat sits on a suspended ramp thingo that I built that goes around the unused side of the house.
There's a 3m removeable section/bridge that goes from this structure over to the driveway. It slots in where the yellow dodad is.

They'll need a helicopter to pinch this poor little old boat ;D

charleville
07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
This is how I secure one of my boats.
it sits about 4 feet above the garden.
The boat sits on a suspended ramp thingo that I built that goes around the unused side of the house.
There's a 3m removeable section/bridge that goes from this structure over to the driveway. It slots in where the yellow dodad is.

They'll need a helicopter to pinch this poor little old boat ;D

The woofer would help also. :)

Chas & Clarry
08-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Wheel clamps are the go I recon, easy to use, visible, but like all options only a deterent not a guarantee!

Steve B
08-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Scott

and for added security you have the guard dog too!!;D ;D ;D

Looks like hes doing a great job in that photo.;D

Either that OR he'e trying to work out how he's going to cock his leg up that high to pee on the wheel!!;D

steve

finga
08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Scott

and for added security you have the guard dog too!!;D ;D ;D

Looks like hes doing a great job in that photo.;D

Either that OR he'e trying to work out how he's going to cock his leg up that high to pee on the wheel!!;D

steve
None of the above.
He's thinking 'when's that lazy bugger going to take me for my walk. If it's not soon I'll bite his leg off"
It's either that or "now where's that cat??" ;)

reilly
10-09-2007, 08:27 AM
If you have ya boat insured you need to provide proof (receipt ) if stolen you have had a what they say a adequate security, chain does not count. No proof no cheque you need to read your policy as it is very clear. Get one you can use when hitched as gives added piece of mind that the boat cannot leave the towball while towing.

KGW3
10-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Make sure it's well insured and relax.. If it goes, you can buy the latest model.

Brumby
10-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Make sure it's well insured and relax.. If it goes, you can buy the latest model.

You're a braver man than me if you want to put that to the test! Couple of threads here on the agreed value and when it applies - generally the news isn't good. In any event I object to some mongrel making off with my belongings.

phewy
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I saw a few years ago I saw a locking device that was a post that could be secured to a floor which extended up to the trailer coupling where a ball when inside the coupling. Somehow it was locked in place at this point.

What this meant was that the trailer was secure and could not be taken away, unlike with a coupling lock where the hitch was secure but it does not allow the trailer to be taken by connecting a chain to it.

I have not seen this lock for a few years.

Anyone know what I'm on about?

I have searched the internet but can't find anything, anyone have any clues?

Cheers

Macca

G'day Macca,
I think this is similar to what you mean. I remember many years ago a guy coming around to our caravan accessory shop trying to sell much the same sort of posts he developed. Much the same as these pictured, but a bit different in that they hinged up and into place. This one (stronghold) is from o/s, but wonder if they have distributors here in oz?

http://www.stronghold-security.com/dynamicdata/data/Hitchpost%20300x562.jpg

jamesryan30
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I have put some serious gates and pad lock to protect this from happening. Is your boat insured if so which I would imagine it is make sure its new for old then who cares if they pinch it.

KGW3
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Hence the "Well insured" part...