PDA

View Full Version : Good signs for wet months ahead

4x4frog
05-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I know for one it's not going to rest well with those of us who want to fish over the summer but I truly believe that we are in for a wet one.
Why??
Well, when I was but a wee lad, (not that long ago in the 70s') we used to have periods of weather like this in mid-late August, early September, then a wet summer would follow. When I got up this morning and went to put the rubbish bin out I was transported back to those days with the feeling I got standing outside. The day just felt like a day all those years ago and I thought maybe we are in for good rain for the summer.
I am no weather predictor or claim to be but it will be interesting to see what transpires as I don't think we have had weather anything like this for a number of years.
Don't despair though guys, as if I remember correctly, the periods between the rain were good for fishing, particularly river/estuary/river mouth based as the rains tended to flush out good fish and muddies;D8-)
Any opinions either way??

Noelm
05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
as long as it is good weather from the 11th untill the 18th October at Caloundra/Mooloolaba when I am there ,I don't care

Noelm
05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
hhmm perhaps it was a bit unfair to say I don't care as rain is good for us! but not when you are on Holidays.

4x4frog
05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
one thing I forgot to promise is that i won't plan any fishy trips between now and Xams because one of my good mates always told me when I plan a trip or wash my car it rains;D

cuzzamundi
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
i agree mate. and if the soi is anything to go by, you could be spot on. eother way it looks like it'll at least be at neutral, which is still a good sign. but yeah, ive noticed also that these type of conditions do spell a better summer ahead. here's hoping!

cuzza

nigelr
05-09-2007, 06:14 PM
RAIN?????BRING IT ON!!!!!!!
The water on and in the ground following the current and recent rains on the coast should hopefully fuel a good spring/summer storm season, with resulting rainfail.
As a lawn mowing contractor, I can only hope!
Cheers!

84mick
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I hope your right frog as we do need that rain and if anyone complains about it cos they want to go fishing, just remember that your skin IS water proof! ;)

Cheers, Mick. ;)

minno
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
A good rain, means a hot fishing days ahead. Well it does in my books.

Minno

Chimo
06-09-2007, 09:51 AM
50 / 50 either way for SEQ according to BOM as reported on & last nite.

Time will tell.

Chimo

cuzzamundi
06-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I hope for your sake too, nigel. crikes this year (and last) must've been tough for you. here's hoping.

cuzza

Foxy4
06-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Let it pour all it likes. I will just give up the saltwater and go fishing in the fresh. A fish is a fish Fresh or Salt.

nigelr
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Weather map looks promising for central/sthn Qlders atm, could be a decent low off the central coast in the next 24hrs or so. Hopefully some rain will fall inland, where it is most needed.
Cuzzamundi, thanks for your sentiments, the last 5-6 years have been tough, last year was actually quite an improvement. At this stage the season ahead is looking very promising. The local dairy farmers are almost smug!
Foxy, couple years ago my son brought home a decent bass about 1.5kg and declared we were going to eat it for dinner. "Your kidding, that thing will taste like mud." says I. Well blow me down, it was better than any snapper we ever ate!
Cheers.

manchild
06-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Here is hoping for a decent storm season as well.We do miss those afternoon downpours.Having said all that ,weather like today only depressing with sweet fa rainfall in it.Stops me from working without doing any good for the dams.The last 4 weeks i lost a price of a brand new small car or even a boat upgrade:'(
George

Peter4
07-09-2007, 04:07 PM
According to BOM Monduran has received 53mm of rain in the last three days. Very unseasonal and, according to the locals, an early sign of a good wet season.

Water supply has increased from 100,300ML to 101,500ML in that time. The good news is that the Kolan River is still flowing and filling Monduran.

I too love the rain but it had better stay away in late October when I will be up there chasing the barra!

Pete

ashh
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
yeah I hope it pours down everyday this summer, god knows we need it.......BUT. only in the late afternoons and into the night and only on Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thurdays, and leave during the day nice and sunny so I can work, aswell as the weekends so I can play. Sounds like a fair deal to me dont ya think? :D

Mattg68
07-09-2007, 05:59 PM
50 / 50 either way for SEQ according to BOM as reported on & last nite.

Time will tell.

Chimo

classic BOM forecast, either way they'll be right. If you have to fish in the rain then summers the time to do it I reckon. Personally the rain is the last thing to stop me going out & wetting the line (twice). Combine the rain with a 40knot howler & there you have a different story.

Matt

Tropicaltrout
09-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Yep let it rain imagine all the dams at capacity, it would be great. bring on the summer wet, install the bilge pump and chase those big barra in a rising dam woo hoo.

4x4frog
10-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Yep let it rain imagine all the dams at capacity, it would be great. bring on the summer wet, install the bilge pump and chase those big barra in a rising dam woo hoo.
I caught a report the other day, not sure where it was but they said if that 700mm or so that Tewantain got had fallen out over the dam catchment area the dams would all be at 100%.
Next time we see clouds here we need to push them over the dams;D

A while back I remember a detailed report saying that one theory for rainfall pattern changes was the strogner concentration of people this side of the range and that all the pollution caused alters the way the clouds behaved as they traverse the range. The clouds used to drop the rain just at the range to allow them to rise over the mountians but now that's changed somehow because of the concentration of pollution

Volvo
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Most trees up this way be fruit or otherwise are chockers with flower!!, top sign og good rains ahead...
Cheers

4x4frog
20-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Just thought I'd dredge up an old thread...................................hope I didn't pre-empt anything by my original comments:-/. i think it's rained enough for now, stop for a couple of weeks...I need to fish:'(. It's so busy this time of year with the kids home form school and wanting to visit all and sundry that I am like...'wow, we had a fine day today' and I am saying this at 6pm at night after the day has passed:o

bushbeachboy
20-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Froggy,
Your weather predictions appear to be spot on mate. Can you just let me know (by PM of course) of your Lotto predictions?:P
Thanks in advance mate,
BBB

4x4frog
21-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Froggy,
Your weather predictions appear to be spot on mate. Can you just let me know (by PM of course) of your Lotto predictions?:P
Thanks in advance mate,
BBB
If I knew do you think I'd still be sitting here posting from Brisbane;D I'd be posting from the deck of a game boat 50 miles off Cairns or Florida:P

RodNReel
25-01-2008, 11:11 AM
It would be nice to go out an catch a keeper for once.
To give an example of my fishing prowess, I was in the whitsundays with some mates fishing from the boat and everyone around me was pulling them in, I even asked one of the mates to swap lines, he continued to catch em and I didn't even get any bites.
Anyone with a theory?

RodNReel

reelemin1974
27-01-2008, 06:45 AM
you shouldn't spank the monkey before you fish, it's the smell!!! BTW, good prediction mate about the rain.