PDA

View Full Version : Up or down storage

dnej
04-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I Have had advice to store my motor in the up position,( trailering)so as to leave the trim tilt extended,and therefore keep the pressure off the rams.Can any one comment on this.
Davids

Mr__Bean
05-09-2007, 12:09 AM
I have always thought that down was better as the rams are stowed and protected. I don't think the engine weight will apply much pressure to the hydraulics in the down position.

If it is stored outdoors and there is any chance of the engine getting wet during storage then I would definately stow down as I have seen the damage caused by water lying in the exhaust sleeve after going in through the prop centre.

- Darren

finga
05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I store down just to keep the rams out of the elements and to lessen the crud getting into the exhaust tube but because it takes up less room and room is a priority in my sheds :-/

Ron173
05-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Always been told down.

Lets water run out, less space, rams not exposed.

dnej
05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies.I have always had the same views,yet the comment on keeping the rams in a closed position,causing pressure on the seals,was an interesting one.
Yamaha say to close the rams,while travelling ( trailering),yet the expert I spoke to,maintains that the rams are subjected to un necessary pressure,by doing so.

I will see what I can find out about the suggestion.Agree with the water not draining.
David

fsh00
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I always store mine with the rams closed (allways protect your shaft ;D ) and use a motor support bracket when trailering.