PDA

View Full Version : No tear onion chopping

el_carpo
04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I just learned a pretty good tip that takes the sting out of chopping onions. You take two candles and set one to either side of the onion on the chopping board. The vapor that gets released from the onion gets sucked into the flames of the candles and you don't get your eyes burned. I just tried it and it seemed to work quite well. The candles I used were about 8 inches tall. Hope this helps.

EC

Noelm
05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
hhmm might try that, we have a BBQ at work every month and I usually get to be the one who cuts up 2KG of Onions and I will try anything to stop the tears.

aussiefool
05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
The best way that I have found to stop the teary eyes is to put the onions into the fridge, that way the vapor is in a liquid form and dosn't get into the eyes
Aussiefool
Andrew

Chimo
05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I sort of do the AussieFool thing but actually put them in the freezer for a while cause I am a "Tim the Toolman" fan and want more power!

Cheers
Chimo

Argle
05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Sounds and looks silly but it works, stick a spoon in your mouth upside down (with the bit that holds the food on your tongue does that make sense?) keep mouth closed and chop yourself silly with no tears involved!

Cheers and Beers
Scott

minno
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Mate! its breathing through your nose that causes the tears.

Minno

mamu
05-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Some ineresting and unusual methods there, here's another one. Wear a snorkling mask or swimming goggles, anything that protects your eyes works for me. Again you look like a dick, but a dick with no tears!

minno
05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Here,s an even easier one. Just get the boss to do it. hehehe.

minno

Ausfish
05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Mino is on to it.

Do not breath through your nose. To do this you will need to put a peg on your nose because it is near impossible to do it otherwise. Just swallowing you can inhale enough to set you off.

The onion vapour gets to the olfactory gland that is located at the roof of your nasal cavity and sets you off.

Failing that, use brown onions, you will get a lesser reaction to them. Will still set you off but you can get a lot more cut before you react.

Noelm
06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
OK, how about if you, wear a mask and snorkle, and stand on one leg, close one eye and hop up and down, that must do something!! I reckon I might just go for the candles first off, before i put on my wetsuit and stuff.

minno
06-09-2007, 07:06 PM
:) Noelm! LOL I would pay to see that.:)

Minno

Far side
06-09-2007, 07:44 PM
teatowel on the shoulder seems to work quite well

Owen
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I just break out my K-Tel onion chopper and stick my copy of "Ripper '72*" on the record player ;)

*also available on 8-track

Horse
09-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Use brown onions and use a SHARP!!!!!! knife. Squashing and bruising is what releases most of the vapour

kind_cir
09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
The only part of an onion that will give you tears:bigcry: is the centre core. Pop this out and bin it then chop all day long with no tears.:smash:

LL2260
11-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Hot Tip,

Hold a mouthfull of water in your mouth while you unpeel and cut up.

NEVER seen anyone bust a tear doing it this way.

Thats how young chefs get used to it.

Noelm
11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
OK then lets recap, mask and snorkle, tea towel over shoulder, sharp knife, mouth full of water, a candle each side, stand on one leg (my idea) an onion with no centre, a sharp knife, jesus by the time you got ready the onion would be off or it would be too late for dinner.

Mtx
11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
take it like a man and just cut the bloody thing!!!!

Noelm
12-09-2007, 09:13 AM
hhhmm that sounds like a plan!

pog mo hoin
24-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Now I was a chef in my last life for over 20 yrs, This one Time At Catering Camp!!!!!
I had to slice a whole Pallete of onions, yes thats about 25 bags from memory. Anyway I was to slice them on a meat slicer like you see at the deli or the butcher. I just wore a pair of swimming (pool) goggles, breathed through my mouth and nose on 2 legs with a tea towl over my shoulder and one tucked into my apron. it's all about eye protection folks, But I hear if you take a left handed chicken on a dark and stormy night......... and ..........well thats another story.

Fishin_Dan
26-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Here's a little tip for getting the smell of onions (And garlic!) off your hands after chopping them.... In a stainless steel sink, run the cold water, and rub your wet hands all over the "smelly" areas on the stainless sink.

You can actually buy stainless steel soap too (a chunk of metal in a soap shape)

It sounds silly, but it does work. The metal has a reaction with the odour producing microbes, and it all goes away.

TheRealAndy
28-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Agree with Horse, use a SHARP knife. I have a couple of good knives which i get professionally sharpened every few months (i do it in between) and I never have onion tears. Go around to a freinds place and help cut up onions and my eyes are like taps.

WetCat63
24-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I like the idea of the LP "Ripper 72" I must be getting old cuz I can remember that.

sleepygreg
24-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Hmmmm....I always get the job of chopping the onions. But then I am anal about using sharp knives, and i wear glasses. (I also suffer from sinusitis so constantly breathe through my mouth). Maybe there is some truth in all the above mentioned theories....another theory I heard from a chef was to hold a half slice of bread between your teeth...though havent tried that one as i dont have the problem.

Greg

Mad-One
25-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Take one glass of water and 1 tablespoon of cement, Mix together by stirring for
2 minutes then drink and harden the f&@# up:o ;D ;D ;D

Mad

Chamelion
25-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Am I the only one that can block their sinus voluntarily so as to avoid any fumes making their way up the nasal passage?

BILLY THE KID
29-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Am I the only one that can block their sinus voluntarily so as to avoid any fumes making their way up the nasal passage?

Nah my missus has become pretty good at that ;D

timddo
29-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Why don't you guys just buy pre chopped onion

Saves all the hassel

Chimo
30-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Guys

I just cut one up. No tears. The start of green tomatoe pickle / diced red tomato and beef mince sauce to be genorously drizzled over a bed of rice and garnished with a liberal dose of green peas. You gotta have a bit of contrasting colour!

Just pop em in the freezer for an hour or so before cutting it. (The onion that is)

Whats the fuss about ............. easy

Cheers
Chimo

GBC
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
We also have bbq's at work.

Life's become very easy since someone discovered pre sliced onions in the freezer section.......

They fry up just the same too.

iqarus
01-12-2009, 12:35 AM
As onions are sliced or eaten, cells are broken, allowing enzymes called alliinases to break down amino acid sulphoxides and generate sulphenic acids. A specific sulfenic acid, 1-propenesulfenic acid, formed when onions are cut, is rapidly rearranged by a second enzyme, called the lachrymatory factor synthase or LFS, giving syn-propanethial-S-oxide, a volatile gas known as the onion lachrymatory factor or LF.[20] The LF gas diffuses through the air and eventually reaches the eye, where it activates sensory neurons, creating a stinging sensation. Tear glands produce tears to dilute and flush out the irritant.[21] Chemicals that exhibit such an effect on the eyes are known as lachrymatory agents.
Supplying ample water to the reaction while peeling onions prevents the gas from reaching the eyes. Eye irritation can, therefore, be avoided by cutting onions under running water or submerged in a basin of water.[21] Rinsing the onion and leaving it wet while chopping may also be effective. Another way to reduce irritation is by chilling, or by not cutting off the root of the onion (or by doing it last), as the root of the onion has a higher concentration of enzymes.[22] Using a sharp blade to chop onions will limit the cell damage and the release of enzymes that drive the irritation response. Chilling or freezing onions prevents the enzymes from activating, limiting the amount of gas generated. Eye irritation may be avoided by having a fan blow the gas away from the eyes as the onion is being cut.
It is also possible to avoid eye irritation by wearing goggles or any eye protection that creates a seal around the eye. Contact lens wearers can experience less immediate irritation as a result of the slight protection afforded by the lenses themselves. It may also be that lens wearers are familiar with controlling the more reflexive actions of their eyes with regards to irritation; as this is an ability they require when manipulating the lenses to prevent blinking.
The amount of sulfenic acids and LF released, and the irritation effect, differs among Allium species. On January 31, 2008, the New Zealand Crop and Food institute created a strain of "no tears" onions by using gene-silencing biotechnology to prevent synthesis by the onions of the lachyrmatory factor synthase enzyme.

some of the posted replies have scientific grounds, it mostly comes down to the enzyme reaching the eye.

Mrs Ronnie H
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Mate! its breathing through your nose that causes the tears.

Minno

Thats right-- it is your breathing that causes you to cry when chopping onions.
Also it is the root part on the onion that holds the odour. Try slicing your onion without cutting the root part off it until last.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-- you could always try a clothes peg on your nose. ????

Ronnie

Noelm
04-12-2009, 07:55 AM
ooorrrrr, get someone else to do it! how easy is that?

STUIE63
04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I always just wore safety glasses they worked perfectly just looked a bit silly wearing them in the kitchen
Stuie

Sandman
04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Let them rest in chilled water for awhile jobs done , If dont want to do that get someone else to cut them up he he the apprentice :)

Trio181
20-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Hey there
I am a chef and have been cutting onions for 24 yrs!!
The only way to stop the sting is to keep the onion fumes out of sinuses!!
By this i mean try like hell not to breath through your nose (MOUTH ONLY!!) it works but as soon as you even sniff once ya crying!!
Good luck

dec0guy
24-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I always cut up unions under the rangehood in the kitch with fan set to max. Sucks away the union fumes and no tears!