PDA

View Full Version : sanding epoxy back?

B_E_N
03-09-2007, 04:31 PM
is it possibly to 'lightly' sand back uneven parts on an epoxy job then recoat without any degredation to the overall finished product. Having a few 'oh no' moments without a drying motor but the majority of the rods ive done this past week have been fine. thanks for any info guys

ben

finga
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I have done this.
I don't know if it's accepted or not but I've sanded and recoated and the finished coating comes up a treat.
I was very careful not to get near the threads and I used a block (blue EVA from Clarks Rubber) to keep the surface flat.
Must be nearly time to build that dryer eh Ben?? ;)
Cheers then
:)

Stuart
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
You can mate but not very effectively in my opinion. If you’re going to sand then use at least 800 wet and dry then 1000, thoroughly clean the area with prep-sol before re-coating. I don’t use wet and dry or even sand epoxy at all, if I need to make a repair then I wait until the coating has gone off. I then a scalpel to cut any crap out or cut any woops off if need be. A scalpel will cut like a hot knife through butter, you can sculpt the hard coating before re applying a fresh coat.

Stu

B_E_N
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
haha yeh finga im overdue but the rods ive just done are for mates so i wasnt to concerned not having a motor for them but their rods came out great, its just my fly rod has had the hiccup, its not much just a little to much has built up in a few areas, also the blank wasnt smooth because i re-bound the runners from a previous poor job i did when i was 15, so there was some epoxy underneath, like i said it isnt much but thanks for the info, ill feel safer knowing it can work now, i may try the scalpel technique but i dont think theres much epoxy to be removed and not much to paly with!