PDA

View Full Version : Riverfire

Brumby
03-09-2007, 12:43 PM
The events of Saturday afternoon have rather overshadowed the brilliant show put on by the River Festival committee and I have expressed my condolences elsewhere. A tragedy for everyone concerned.

What a brilliant evening it was though. Thanks to the generosity of an Ausfisher (Big thanks, Mike) I was able to snag a flag at the 11th hour and made use of the Gold Coast show day to make a long weekend of it. We cruised up to Peel Island on Friday, overnighted in Horseshoe Bay before heading to the city via Manly and the Boat Passage. By 12 o'clock the moorings were filling up, so we grabbed a spot just off the Botanic Gardens and settled in.

Really good atmosphere around us, with everything from small runabouts to real gin palaces all rubbing shoulders - literally when the tide changed!

The display was awesome and will provide memories for a long time.

We stayed put afterwards and only set off for home on Sunday, via a lunch stop at Koureyabba Point.

The old 2 smoke guzzled about $300 worth of gas, (not helped by paying over $1.40 a liter at Rivergate), but well worth it for the experience. At least the young fella had something different to talk about at school this morning.

Cheers

Carl

Fish Guts
03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
yeah was an awesome night. does anyone have a ballpark figure on what the fireworks would have cost?

Brumby
03-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Not sure about the cost, plenty though, I saw a press release where they claim that 3,000 tonnes of explosives went up in smoke! Baghdad be dammed, try Brisbane in Spring.

Marlin_Mike
04-09-2007, 05:27 AM
You're welcome Brumby, glad you enjoyed the night. The kids would have loved it.

Mike