PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass cut and polish

Tassie JR
02-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Can anybody recommend a good fiberglass cut and polish, the boats starting to look a bit shabby and is in need for a real good cut and polish. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks tassie JR

Blackened
02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
G'day

Have a search for a thread of mine called Detailing, How To.

All the info will be there.

Dave

snelly1971
02-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Was looking for the same info...Thanks Dave

Mick

Tassie JR
02-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Is this the cut and polish you are talking about W7000, if so where can i get some.

cheers tassie JR

lippa
02-09-2007, 09:06 PM
w7000 is a foam pad. made by meguirs

Tassie JR
02-09-2007, 09:38 PM
would this be the one.

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=253307&cm_mmc=comparisonshopping-_-commissionjunction-_-all-_-253307

cheers tassie JR

lippa
02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
that ones pretty harsh, should only be used with experence on badly deteriated finishes. if she just needs a genral tidy up i'd use a medium grade compound. somtimes it makes more sense to employ the services of professionals like blackened to get them back into shape. then its easy to stay on top of.

cheers

lippa

Dan5
02-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Mate i used to have to polish a 75 ft westcoaster regulary and we tried just about every polish on the market to make it easier on ourselves and we couldnt go past the 3m products.I would first try the finishing compound first its called "finess it II" it's not abrasive at all and if that doesn't do the trick the third cut compound should.Try not to use a cutting compound if you can the finess removed baked on diesel soot extremely easy and way better than cutting compound.Cheers Dan...........

finga
03-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Agree with Lippa.
If it's pretty bad get it done by a pro just encase of an accident. They so easy to happen if the compound or buff is to harsh.
Then you have to get that fixed :(

When it's in good nicks it's a 100X easier to keep it in good nick then to try and get back from a deteriorated state. So let Dave get to a really good state and do the easy job of keeping it in a good state yourself :)

Blackened
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
G'day

Tassi, yes that's the stuff. Bias sell it, as do autobarn.

Dan, the 3m stuff is great aswell, as is meguiars. Fully agree with not cutting a boat back if it's not needed, but most of the time it is.

Lippa, Finga, thanx for the kind words.

Dave

Tassie JR
03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks everyone ill go to autobarn and have a look at the meguairs i might try to get more of a diluted one as the boat is not real bad i just need to get some bird poo stains off and the color back into it after that it should keep fairly good after we do it as we built a cover on the weekend for it.

is this the 3m product i might have a look at this one as well.

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/3mfiniimacpo.html

cheers tassie JR