PDA

View Full Version : port jackson shark

keenbeginner
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
hi all, just wondering if pt jackson shark is edible, (is worth eating?)
any good recipes?

cheers,

keenbeginner

tunaticer
02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
UMMM Im pretty sure these are protected species or they used to be in Qld at least.

Jack.

mako101
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Beautiful looking sharks and yes I think a recipe for financial disaster if you are caught killing one!.:o
Not 100% certain though.

mako101
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I did some quick research as I was interested to find out more.
Seems these sharks are on the least threatened list of species which means it is very likely they can be eaten or even kept as pets etc.
Couldn`t find out any more but let us know how it tastes!.;D

keenbeginner
02-09-2007, 03:43 PM
we ran into the maratime / fisheries guys yesterday & they said no dramas
to catch, but didn't know if they tasted any good.
bag limit is as for school sharks in nsw.

tunaticer
02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Okies then if they are not protected. I stand corrected for a bad call.

I would reckon they would be very similar to gummy sharks with similar feeding habits etc. Gummies are very sought after in Victoria if that relates to anything sensible. ;D

Jack.

Noelm
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
anyone who eats a Port Jackson shark will need a good supply of knives and be a very good sharpener, they have skin tougher than any other living animal on earth (well almost) and a big speciman MAY yeild about 200 grams of edible flesh, they are prehistoric in their make up and have a big boney head and body, and those stupid looking spikes on their dorsal fins, only good thing about them is when you hook one, for a jiffy you think you have something good, OH and they can be good fun to grab when diving and let them take you for a ride, but might just as well chuck 'em back, pretty useless for anything, and they can give you a very nasty "gumming" if one clamps onto your finger, hurts like buggery.

madjewiefisher
09-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Kb
Theese sre protected in some states not all.
As for cooking and eating get 2 large pebbles put in pot with fish,bring to boil,when pebbles are soft enough to eat throw away fish and eat pebbles,
They also have a poison sac in them so be aware.
Cheers MJW