PDA

View Full Version : anchoring tinny at sea

vector
02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
hi, im new to this, ive sorta grown up around boats and have now purchased my own, im wondering how much rope i'll require to anchor at sea? im thinking about getting another 50m to add to my 30, is 8mm ok? i will be trying to anchor at depths of 15- 30m is 30 m too much to ask? also what sort of anchor? ive got a combination one already (like a plough) what is this suited to? ill definatly pick up a reef anchor (with the prongs). btw the boat is a 4.2m tinny

thanks

datamile
02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
QLD Boatsafe would say 2-3m of chain + 3-5times the depth in rope. Danforth is the recommend anchor for sand/mud.

vector
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
so for 30m i would need 80m? the anchor i got isnt a danforth its one of these http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/pics/for%20sale/largepics/Anchor2.jpg

Chimo
02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi Vector

Dont knoe where you are located but 8mm is probably ok but personally I like thicker in silver as it a lot kinder to your hands to have the extra. Three to five times the depth is the rule of thumb with a length of chain abot the same as the boat length. That said I often use the depth plus about 20m with a reef anchor and heavy chain in 120 to 130 ft and that works fine but I use a retriver to get it up.

You also should consider an anchor retriever to make life easy esp if you fish solo as I often do. Capt (Jimmy) (PM him) has possibly got a few left that were recently made up. These are good as they are like a split ring so you dont have to leave them on the rope all the time. There are others that also let you take them off but they are far more expensive.

Hope this is of help and other will no doubt add their answers too.

Good luck

Cheers
Chimo

vector
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
im located on far nth coast ballina, so if you wernt using a retriever youd have difficulty getting it back up? do you have a link for retrieving methods? thanks

Chimo
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Vector

At first glance at your anchor your anchor looks to be better suited to a larger boat unless the tinny your referring to is the tender? No scale so maybe its not. What does it weigh?

Do a search on here for anchors and retriever etc, should keep you off the streets for a few hrs.

Its pretty hard to motor up on an anchor while at the same time manually pulling it up in a Vagabond, plus with chain etc its b heavy. Id rather the boat pulls the warp and chain up thru the ring and while the float holds it just pull it into a bin in the boat over the side.

Cheers
Chimo

vector
02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
its just an example ive used, mine weighs around 5 or 8kgs

reilly
02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I use the same system as chimo stuff pulling up that munch its worth setting it up and I fish 10 to 50 mt so I carry 120 mt of 8mm rope and have no problems with my 4.6mt tinnie though i use a reef pic with 4mt of chain if I fish wide in 80 mt I take a extra 40mt

vector
29-11-2007, 05:28 PM
my brother tried to anchor on a reef bottom, he reckons he couldnt get it to hold, got about 3m of 10mm chain boats about 4.2, any tips on bending the pick?

seatime
29-11-2007, 06:34 PM
bending the pick tines so it holds better?

try to bend the tines shorter, or tighter, so the 'bend' is not too long and springy.

you can add some length to the anchor shaft with a sleeve and then add some weight to the top of the shaft with lead or similar.
more weight up near the bent tines will help it grab on.

regards

gunna
29-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Just wondering Vector - how far out do you go in the 4.2M tinny ??