PDA

View Full Version : 18 hp Tohatsu water pump

Stiphodon
01-09-2007, 04:35 PM
G'day all, I was wondering if anybody has any experience in changing a water pump / impeller on an 18hp Tohatsu, the same motor are also commonly rebadged and sold by mercury/mariner as a 15hp. I have dropped the lower section of the leg that holds the gearbox a few inches, but I cannot figure out how to disconnect the gear shaft so that I can take the whole lower leg section off and get to the water pump housing. Any tips from anybody would be great!

tigermullet
01-09-2007, 06:33 PM
It might be like our 40hp Tohatsu. Put it in forward gear (not reverse like other motors) this should reveal a shroud with a friction pin. If so you will need to drive out the pin - we used a suitable sized drill bit and tapped on the drilling part using the shaft to shift the pin.

Those pins, for the 40hp, cost about $5.40 each and you will need to buy two - one to lose and one to use.;D

Ours was done whilst the boat was on the beach - we were very careful not to lose the original and were successful in replacing it. Later we pulled the old pin out and replaced with a new one. Just to be safe - the original was actually quite okay and was holding very well.

If there are two pins, select the lower one to drive out.

Stiphodon
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Cheers mate, I know exactly what you mean, i just wasn't sure I could knock that pin out- thanks for the help