PDA

View Full Version : Greek Ausfishers

el_carpo
01-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this post belongs in the test board area or where I should put it so if the mods want to move or delete it feel free.

I remember that some of our fellow Ausfishers are from Greece or have relatives living there. With all of the bad news coming from there from the drought and fires, I just wanted to wish you and your families the best of fortune and hope that things get better soon. God bless.

EC

theoldlegend
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Thank you EC, for your comments. About 54 dead, I believe. Bloody tragedy.

Yes, bush fires, wild fires, whatever you want to call them, are terrible things. Goodness knows, we've had our fair share of them over the years, as has some states in USA recently. My thoughts are with the victims in Greece. It's a strange thing, we don't usually associate wild fires with a country like greece.

Once conditions are right for a light up, and unfortunately they are deliberately lit, then nature just takes over. Lost a couple of workmates some years ago in a pine plantation fire that got away. The bloody thing just got into the tops and kept exploding.

EC, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it looks like you come from Illinois. There is a university there at Normal or nearby that turns out some of the best softballers in the USA and also the world. They used to send softball teams over here to Queensland, and boy, weren't they bloody good. Their name was the Redbirds. The state bird of Illinois.

Take care

TOL

Great White
01-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Hey TOL I didn't know you were Greek ;) come to think of it I thought I saw you in that new movie 300 ;D ;D ;D

el_carpo
02-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your friends TOL. That's rough. Pine trees seem to be particularly bad fires. They go up like they'd been doused in petrol and the heat of the blaze is unreal. I've seen a fire on one side of a four way highway erupt instantly on the trees on the other side. Firefighters earn their pay and respect .

As far as the softball goes....yeah, it's a popular sport in the midwest US especially. I don't know how they can hit those things. The speed and the angle of the pitch is crazy. I can't remember the woman's name, but she is supposed to be the best pitcher in the world. She was pitching at a celebrity game for charity. Professional baseball players were playing and couldn't even come close. It was funny, her team just sat down at second base and talked with full confidence that no one was going to hit anything she threw and they didn't! Australia has great teams too. Your team always makes it to the gold medal game in the olympics.

Volvo
02-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Dont have anyone effected by the fires over there even though do have familly Holidaying there at present but very thoughtfull of you mate:)..
Cheers n all the best to you..