PDA

View Full Version : Can you join braid

reelchippy
30-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Can you join braid if so what knots cheers

finding_time
30-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Tie a 50-70 loop bin. twist in the end of each end and cats paw the two ends together 4 or more times.

Ian

lippa
30-08-2007, 09:05 PM
double uni will also work

shin25
30-08-2007, 09:10 PM
yeah double uni easy and trustworthy

snelly1971
30-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I have used the double uni heaps of times for joining braid and never had any problems...

Mick

disorderly
31-08-2007, 01:26 AM
How many turns for the double uni?

Scott

Marlin_Mike
31-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Tie a 50-70 loop bin. twist in the end of each end and cats paw the two ends together 4 or more times.

Ian

What the??????????????? :-/ :o

Huhhhhhh?????????????? :-/ :o

Please explain

Mike

Richard
31-08-2007, 06:33 AM
I think Ian means a 50-70 twist bimini double on each section of line, then cats paw to join them.

carpel
31-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Strongest connex IMHO Tie a 12 turn bimini each end and then cats paw .

Still better off thinking of alternatives like.. rolling off onto another spool and increasing mono underlay .. or as i do , rolling off twice increasing underlay and turning braid backward , to get the most use off the spool and fresher line ....

NO JOIN IN BRAID has stood up well in testing {or practise :-[ }..I have tried both uni joiner and bimini joiner and seen uni joiner fail once on a fish that single strand would have held for sure .... bimini seemed to hold up better , but was hitting the guides at the end of a cast and not particularly friendly on line rollers or for line lay ...

if its two different types of braid forget about it .. one will surely cut through the other under extended duress .

other factors beside weight on line to consider are , how often the knot will go through the guides , line roller, how overgunned your weight class in braid is for the practical type of fishing u expect to do .. ie can u afford to lose 40% in strength to save $$$ in braid ..

good luk ..

carpel
31-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Another factor i'd forgotten is that a catspaw will stretch and clinch with varying pressure , this may not show up as well in line tests but would inevidably mean a sawing action on the join over time .. So in brief I am not sure that it is a better join than a double uni or even a doubled double uni where the join is more static .

oh my god i'm turning in to a knot nerd .. too much rain

slabjig
04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
gotta go along with double uni, may not be the strongest, but sure is the easiest, and I've not have one fail on me yet.