PDA

View Full Version : fish thought

minno
29-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Can insects hatchings leed to fish being on the bite

Minno

manchild
29-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes mate .Thats what the fine art of flyfishing is based upon.
cheers
george

minno
29-08-2007, 07:26 PM
What about saltwater? Been reading up on this fly thing. Its early days for me.

Minno

tunaticer
29-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes Minno, Saltwater feeding is induced by insect activity also in the rivers and creeks.

I have lost count of the number of fish ive got in salt water creeks on nymphs that are designed for trout fishing. EVERY fish in the brackish water eats nymphs daily, luderick included. Also any insects that land on the surface and send out death vibes get nailed before long too, esp small grasshoppers, bream fight over them.

Ive found the edges of salinity tend to produce the greatest diversity and usually the larger fish on most river systems, you just have to be very careful with presentation because it is a fairly silent environment there usually compared to fully tidal areas.

3wt to 6wt works well for me in these areas throwing insect imitations around.

Jack.

minno
29-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Just one more question. Is there a correlating factor with the hatchings of termite queens in the saltwater world. There is a considerable amount of activity around these times. There are consistencies that seems to give a constant result.

Minno

minno
29-08-2007, 09:54 PM
And lets take sandfyies for instances. When their at there worst, this seems to be another great time to go fishing. ( saltwater or fresh ) and mosquitoe out breaks, is also good news. I find this worth noting. People sometimes ask me, how do you know when and where to go and catch a fish. How do you tell some, you watch the insects.

Minno

Chas & Clarry
29-08-2007, 10:15 PM
There is always more to learn about this art of angling isn't there, no wonder it is so fascinating...learning for a whole lifetime.

Hey Minno, I noticed this got moved to freshwater chat from the general fishing chat, shame about that because the cross over of info from both types of fishing (fresh and salt) is interesting.

C&C

minno
29-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Thats what I thought. But people will still read it. Nothing is losted. Interesting subject thou.

Minno

Jeremy87
30-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Bass bream jacks etc, in the fresh water through to the brackish. The middle of summer when the cicada's are making a defening racket, on sunset the light plays with there eyes and they crash into the water. bring out the poppers.