PDA

View Full Version : Real Fishermen

barkers creek
29-08-2007, 06:41 PM
gday guys
went down to try out this whole skill of "cast netting" witch i failed misribly at
i think i got 2 herring in 3 hours:-[ but practice makes perfect:D .
anyhu there was this man about 50m up from me casting perfect and getting tones of bait and as he left he noticed i was totally empty and offerd me some of hes!! i was stocked, good hardy heads and herring as well
shows that there are some nice guys out there

cheers nath

cdg81
29-08-2007, 06:52 PM
practice with a small net. 6 footer is good, they open better when they are dry. so practice in the back yard, keep at it and it will come

Foxy4
29-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Nath,
Don't worry mate you aren't the only one who i know that can't throw a cast net. As you said Practice will make it better.

Check out Nuggets website and you will find a couple of good vids showing how to throw one.
Yes there are still some nice people out there, but they are getting a lot harder to find these days.

Lucky_Phill
29-08-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

phill

minno
29-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Cast nets! Stuff them. Theres always a mate that can do it.;D

Minno

tunaticer
29-08-2007, 07:12 PM
One very handy trick with cast nets. When you have washed them out after using add a cap full of fabric softener to the net bucket and fill with fresh water and let it sit of an hour before drying your net. The net will always feel soft and will not spring closed during the cast. I find if i treat the net this way once a month it stays really good for casting. Also it lets you remove the bait from the net a lot easier with soft pliable mesh.

Jack.

Gill
29-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Nath where were netting? I wouldn't mind stocking up on some hardy heads.
gill

roz
29-08-2007, 08:10 PM
If I can use one, anyone can.

One little trick I discovered, is throw a tiny bit of berley or sand in first. It brings them all around for a look.

It works really well.

good luck

r.

jtpython
29-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I found i couldn't throw a smaller net i went to a 14 footer but using the over the shoulder technique.
I have used the fabric softener idea and is spot on the money

84mick
29-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Some good points for casting, the softener trick sounds good.
I have caught so much water and only a few herring in it. O well i guess thats why i use SP's huh.

Cheers, Mick. ;)