PDA

View Full Version : savage?

mik01
28-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

need some advice purleease!

still in the hunt for my first boat and a cousin has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons by telling me to stick to aluminium over glass for various reasons that all seem to make sense.

was keen to throw it open to the forum and get some fors and againsts happening here.

ok ok - I know most of you are biased (as is my cousin), however I need some honest advice each way - whats best for what application?

looking at something 5+m that can take me out with a comfortable ride (not too far of course) and will stand the test of time (if looked after well which I intend to do).
Have come across a mid 90's Savage ally which looks ok - any advice on this particular rig, or a Quinny Fishmaster? any other rigs I should look out for in this category? all advice is greatly appreciated.

seems i am getting more and more confused with the options whilst getting more and more anxious to get a damn boat and get out there!!!!!

cheers,
mik

johnathon joe
28-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I just sold a 1995 Savage Osprey 5.2 metrre alum cuddy cab. Great boat I had for 12 years Did many trips from 1770 as far as Musgrave and Fitzroy. They need trim tabs though to give a comfortable ride

mik01
28-08-2007, 11:08 PM
thanks johnathon, any issues with this boat??
how did it ride and how was it at rest - stable?

FNQCairns
29-08-2007, 08:01 AM
The ospreys in the 5.2 and the bigger one are simply great boats, ahead of their time by a wide margin back then (still today in many cases also)for a pressed tinny IMO.

What glass boats are you used to traveling in? You will not find a pressed tinny that compares in ride it just doesn't happen, Good brand V Good brand, they are far more uncmfortable, there are advantages to tinnys, sure your cousin has filled you in.

Make sure you water test first, they are OK just need to go slower.

ps I own a pressed tinny.

cheers fnq

mik01
29-08-2007, 08:22 AM
cheers fnq,

I guess I'm just trying to work out if the only difference worth worrying about is the ride, weight for towing and rot vs corrosion between the two.
as I am looking at an entry level boat (ie - an older one due to price) in the 5m category, I want to make sure what will last me the longest yet not compromise too much on comfort and stability.

other than that, does it really matter?

Noelm
29-08-2007, 08:24 AM
you will never get a clear winner in a Glass V Alloy debate, just like 2 stroke V 4 stroke, whatever is the big advantage in Alloy is the downside of Glass and vice versa, just get what suits you, they are all good and all have pluses and minuses.

mik01
29-08-2007, 08:49 AM
soooooo......

anyone have an opinion on the older savage's??

Noelm
29-08-2007, 09:20 AM
I guess as a general guide, Savage have been making boats for a very long time, and you do not hear too many BAD things, so they must be OK, I know a guy that has a (I think) Savage Swordfish it is about 19foot long, and even though it performs OK it is a very unstable thing at rest.

FNQCairns
29-08-2007, 09:24 AM
mik01 write out a list of what you think is important to you then score for each type of material, if you score the most important aspect as ride, comfort, cruise speed then GLASS IS CLASS! If towing is of most importance then pressed alumuninium length for length is the clear winner.

Aluminium will also clearly win on less HP needed to push it.

Everything else IMO is individual, both for the owner and the boat once they have
a little age on them.

I choose a 6m pressed tinny, I know of many 5m glass boats that will outperform it at cruise speed for the conditions, my choice of boat was based almost solely on economy over time and initial purchase price.

It will go everywhere most boats costing 3x and 2x the running costs but still fish along side them, if I leave early:)

Some of the older tinnys are not wide body design although better lenght for length in ride they are less stable at rest.

Cheers fnq

mik01
29-08-2007, 09:39 AM
good advice guys - thanks.

paramount is stability at rest and comfortable ride (for the mrs).
I think its best to try out a couple and decide from there.

what size boat do you recommend (at least) to take out across the bar? is there a difference between ally and glass in this respect? or does it depend on the individual boat?

cheers and appreciate the advice.

mik

FNQCairns
29-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Mic, the only difference in material and length between boats for a bar crossing - is the skippers experience and common sense. :)

cheers fnq

mik01
29-08-2007, 03:04 PM
ok thanks mate

Chimo
29-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi mik01

May I suggest that if you are going to be having your mrs along then you perhaps you really should stongly consider the glass options

As FNQ so rightly said the Al is fine but not as comfortable aat speed or at rest as glass and you also want a reasonable cabin or cuddy cab for shelter and the toilet / portapotty .

If it were me I'd probably involve the mrs in the deliberations re this purchase in a meaningful way not as a token thing.

If your going to share the experience of using it you should share the fun of choosing.

Given where you are there are plenty of older Seafarers and CruiseCraft 5m ish boats and I would bet London to a brick that you and your Mrs will enjoy the ride and the shelter and the stability at rest far better in that style of boat rather than an Al

Re Al boats personally I always felt a lot safer when yrs ago in the older less beamy Als we used to pull cray pots in up to 6 m seas than we did the newer broader beam versions especially in a following sea !

Cheers
Chimo

mik01
29-08-2007, 03:59 PM
ahhhh yes - involving the mrs!
She's not real keen on boats and reckons she won't be coming out, however I reckon that she would be if I actually got one that had a couple of creature comforts.
I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds (fishing and comfort) and glass does appear to offer that - particularly in my price range of sub $9000.
also looking forwards to taking the kiddies out on the boat means some comfort is a necessity.
now, trying to decide which one is the hard part!!
cheers,
mik

Chimo
29-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Good luck getting the mrs involved and more particularly keeping it so.

The first hard wake you hit that throws her on the floor could be the one to watch out for. My mistake was not keeping her in the drivers seat!

On the other hand some say how lucky one is to be able to get away w o h but both have their up sides.

Cheers
Chimo

PS one thought, get as big and as heavy a set up as you can find that has the softest driest ride even if you end up travelling slower to get where your going with kids and the mrs. You could find a smaller motor setup on such a rig that gets close to your budget.

johnathon joe
29-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Main thing to watch for is corrosion around screws through hull and I found trim tabs werre a must to give comfortable ride thru chop. of course not as comfortable as glass boat but the osprey is a good stable boat and handles rough water better than me.

polky
30-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Mik, Pity your not up Tannum Sands way, I,ve got a Seafairer VC cuddy 16ft for sale. New floor,transom,paint job,canopy,windscreen wiring and lights. 1996yamma 70,excellent sea boat.

mik01
30-08-2007, 08:06 AM
price polky?

datamile
30-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Mik, looks like we are looking for the same thing. Something stable in the bay that isn't going to overtaken by the straddie barge, and won't make the missus sick, but still can fish from.

mik01
30-08-2007, 12:55 PM
yeah mate - thats it.
although my budget is less than yours!

boys play
30-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I have had my Savage Tasman (5.2 glass) for 10 years now and have literally towed it thousands of miles...that being the only downside as it is 1.5 tonnes gvm and costs buckets in (towing) fuel...needs the cruiser to do the job. With 115 yammie it is well behaved outside but is a bit wet on a sloppy day even though it is relatively high at the windscreen. The finish is reasonably good, and have had no structural issues. Would not hesitate to buy another Savage.
I suspect it has been layered up with more glass than was intended, as I cannot account for the weight of the hull being greater than the specs say it is.

mik01
30-08-2007, 02:02 PM
wow - thats too heavy for me.
was thinking of the ally savage. what are the glass savage's sposed to weigh??

slickas
30-08-2007, 02:21 PM
soooooo......

anyone have an opinion on the older savage's??

Hi,

I have owned the same savage for about 12 years, I bought it brand new and it has had a few poundings going to and from the reefs and it has been wonderful. I have had absoulutley no problems what so ever with it.

Hope this helps, I don't envy your decision process as has been stated all ready there is never going to be a clear winner both have thier own good and bad characteristics depended on what the owner wants.:)

polky
30-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Mik, I will be advertising my VC in the Ausfish boats for sale fourum in the next day or 2.

tigermullet
30-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I would caution against buying a Savage. Mine is only forty one years old and it developed a 20mm long hairline crack in a chine weld last week. I am bitterly disappointed.

Out-Station
30-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Mik,

I'd be checking out any Seafarer V-Sea's and equiavlent sized Cruise Crafts in your budget. Good sea boats, solid as, dry ride, bit of up front shelter, you couldn't go far wrong with one of these for a safe familly/fishing combo that works. My old man has about a 11 yr old 5m V-Sea, he hates coming out in my 6m plate boat cos the ride is crap compared to his boat.

Scott

slickas
31-08-2007, 08:08 AM
I would caution against buying a Savage. Mine is only forty one years old and it developed a 20mm long hairline crack in a chine weld last week. I am bitterly disappointed.

Not a bad knock, it's nearly as old as me and I have for more cracks in me. LOL ;D

tigermullet
31-08-2007, 04:19 PM
And what's more - the Yamaha outboard broke down last year and cost $440 to fix.

It was fairly new as well, a 1985 model. It's as good as new again so perhaps I shouldn't complain, especially as it had its last service in 1987 - apart from changing the impeller every three or four years of course.

At least it is better than the first motor which had to be chucked away after only 20 years and it was serviced TWICE.

You just can't buy quality anymore.

mik01
31-08-2007, 04:58 PM
shame you only got 40 odd years out of it!
Have spied a 5.3m Savage ally for sale . they want $9k for it. hardly any other info except for 100hp mercury on board. no pics but will check it out.

there is a Quintrex 'Fishmaster' 5.5m advertised for $9k also, yet I can't seem to find any pics online of this boat and there are no pics and it is 3hrs drive away

does anyone know anything about this model and whether it has a cabin or is it a cuddy setup?

cheers
mik