PDA

View Full Version : Two stroke flammability

bungie
27-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Looking at having extra fuel in my runabout for a trip soon, using two outboard tanks in the rear of the deck. Wondering how much flammable fumes might be sitting in the hull because of having the compressor of a fridge freezer in the same area.

Brumby
28-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi bungie,

Can't help you too much on the technical side, but for what its worth I have similar concerns as I'm going to need some extra fuel for my run to Brissie for Riverfire. I asked around and the best advice was that fuel vapour isn't actually all that easy to ignite, needs to be at pretty much the ideal mix fuel/air (hence the expensive carbs/efi and ignition systems on an engine). I was told that provided you don't spill fuel into the bilge and allow it to evaporate, the little bit of vapour vented from the tanks isn't going to do it. The mechanic I spoke to pointed out that thousands of boats use tote tanks that aren't vented to an external breather and that almost the only time you hear of fuel explosions is with inboards that are leaking fuel into the bilge.

I guess I'll be taking the extra tanks, but as always with fuel, working carefully.

Cheers

Carl

bungie
28-08-2007, 06:01 PM
My extra fuel problem is for the same reason, River fire. But being on the water so long with the mrs I need fridge and then cooktop for tea :) lol