PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Cruiser tank

Crooked
27-08-2007, 08:07 PM
G'day,
I just purchased a 40L stainless cruiser tank and would like some advice about the fittings. The fitting on the tank to take the fuel line was loose when I got it home, with about 10mm of thread showing. Needs tightening obviously and I would have thought that with no stopper on the inside it should screw all the way in although it starts to get finger tight relatively quickly.

So first question is has anyone had to do this and do they screw all the way in? I don't want to strip the thread so won't force it.

On the label it says "Important" with a few items, one being to seal fittings before use. I would think a thread tape to be the go, is there petrol resistant tapes? But if I screw this same fitting out to put on the thread tape, will something fall off on the inside? I cannot reach in there so I'm not really keen for this to happen:(

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers, Evan

Chris Ryan
28-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Good question mate. Be interested to see the responses as I want to add another tank to my rig to give a total of just over 100litres.

mikeyh
28-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Evan,
havent used one of these exact tanks however I think they leave the union loose so you can use a variety of fittings if your fuel lines are different. I would be extremely surprised if there was a nut on the other end. It gets finger tight very fast as it is most likely a tapered thread. I used a loctite product (cant remember exact designation :-/ ) instead of tape on my 2nd tank because I didnt want pieces of tape floating round...This loctite stuff worked a treat as my fittings were not even tapered and I have never had any leaks. Just go to the bearing places in Townsville (Pilkington St) or Hose Supply place - they have all that gear - unions, sealant etc
cheers, Mike

Crooked
28-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mike,
Based on your advice I have just been out to the shed and unscrewed the brass fitting and yes there is no nut on the inside. The hole in the tank is threaded and the brass fitting screws into this. When the fitting is removed it comes completely out with about 30cm or so of tubing attached with gause on the end ie. the fuel pickup. Good to know if the pickup ever gets blocked.

I'll chase down some of the locktight also, sounds like a much better idea than tape, the fitting isn't tapered but this should hold it firm.

Hope this info helps you Puff Daddy.

cheers, Evan

Ian1
28-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Crooked,

The Loctite product is loctite 567 Thread Sealer and yes it is good stuff

Cheers

Ian