27-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Shane Boese

Wynnum Q 4178

27 August 2007

Minister for Environment and Multiculturalism
The Honourable Ms Lindy Nelson-Carr

Dear Minister

RE: 4BC Interview

I listened with interest to the interview between yourself and Dave Downie that aired at 6:10 am on Sunday, 26 August 2007.

Although I have a number of concerns that arose from the Interview, I would just like to touch on a few in this letter.

You made the reference “we are in consultation with bait shops, commercial fishermen …..” I own the only bait and tackle store that services the Wynnum, Manly, Lota, Chandler, Wakerley, Ransome area, I am also a Commercial Fisherman, a Recreational Fisherman and father of children who also fish recreationally. To date NO-ONE has been in touch with me or any other member of the general public that I am aware of, either personally or by “extensive mailout” regarding input into the Moreton Bay Review process. I refer to this statement “There have been extensive mail outs and meetings with stakeholders including businesses, bait and tackle shops, fishing clubs, seafood industry, tourism bodies, conservation groups, boating, diving and recreation groups and commercial fishers.” in your media release also dated 26 August 2007.

The reference to “consultation, consultation” infers that the actual users of the bay have had the opportunity to make comment on the areas of interest. I know for a fact that the “consultations” that were held in my area were static displays only and the EPA representatives were unable or unwilling to answer any questions or concerns or accept any comments from the public who attended. The response being that there would be “NO public debate” on the issue. It is the same response that is received when we have telephoned EPA seeking an interactive dialogue with the dept. The only input we, the users and residents of Moreton Bay, have had available to us is to respond to the EPA survey, which only allows for data collection on specific questions and criteria set by the EPA.

If you are so keen to “get it right”, then come and meet the people of Brisbane whose livelihoods and lifestyles will be most affected by the decisions you make. If it is logistically too hard for your office to arrange, I am more than happy to assist by contacting interested Clubs to host you so that you can meet, greet and allay the fears of your constituents, areas of interest would be, Bribie Island, Redcliffe, Manly and Cleveland as starters.

You also seemed concerned about the mud map presented in the Courier Mail and have made repeated media statements that “lines on maps have not been drawn”. The maps that have “not been drawn” yet have already been in circulation around Brisbane for a while! Take a look at the a number of the Australian fishing Chat Forum. Yes, I have copies and so do many other people who have downloaded, copied and forwarded them!.

Another point that struck me was your reference to degradation of water quality. It is no secret that that has little to do with fishermen or marine users, but rather urban development and town planning. If EPA are liasing with other agencies, surely they would already have been aware that changes to the Port development would result in altered tidal flow in other areas of the bay and therefore siltation and other water quality changes would occur. I also note that the EPA has given permission for the removal of tons of sand from Moreton Bay for the express use off the Brisbane Airport Corporation for the second runway not to mention the filling in of Jackson’s Creek a very well known fishing spot and breeding area for many of our marine life.

I realise that you have been given a hard task, but trying to apply overseas studies to our unique circumstances does not instil confidence in the community, and the one-sided consultation process is doing more harm than good to the overall image of the EPA. The decisions you make could very well determine the political future of the Labour Party and the Greens in SEQ as I believe the issue of Moreton Bay IS that big!

Yours truly,

Shane Boese
Father
Commercial Fisherman
Marine Business Owner and Operator
Concerned Moreton Bay Local

Cc: Premier Peter Beattie
Minister Mike Horan

Dodgy_Back
27-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Very Good letter Shane,

Looking forward to a responce.

Mick

flick
27-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Well written shane.

Jim

castlemaine
27-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Great letter. Shane you should cc this to the opposition as well, if you haven't done so.

Fafnir
27-08-2007, 08:42 PM
You will also be aware that Redcliffe Jetty appears to be included on those maps contrary to your statement on 4BC

Excellent letter, but I thought that all maps had shown the Jetty to be between two 'areas of interest' and not actually included in them. Challenge with getting any points wrong in a letter like this, is that politicians will focus in on that one point and ignor so many other excellent points that you have raised.

Derek Bullock
27-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Well done Shane. However one point. You mention the maps here on Ausfish as well as the Redcliffe Jetty.

My view of them shows that the Jetty was never in an area of interest or do you have others that do show it in an area of interest.

I have circled the jetty in the map below and it is clearly north of the boundry of the area of interest.

Cheers

Derek

http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/Photo/Scarborough-Redcliffe%20Point.jpg

Foxy4
27-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Very well written Shane. I am also very keen to see what reply you will get if any.

Shane Boese
27-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Excellent letter, but I thought that all maps had shown the Jetty to be between two 'areas of interest' and not actually included in them. Challenge with getting any points wrong in a letter like this, is that politicians will focus in on that one point and ignor so many other excellent points that you have raised.

Fafnir and Derek

Thanks for the input - looks like misinterpretation on my part for which I will need to make the necessary correction, I thought the Jetty was just inside the boundary - good thing the original letter is still in the Outbox.

Regards,
Shane Boese

Matty_M
27-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Well said, also looking forward to the responce.

Blueroo
28-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Good on you Shane. I sure hope they take some notice.
Cheers
Stue

Locked Up
28-08-2007, 08:27 PM
That is a great letter shane and thank you for your effort in fighting this fascist legislation.
I also listened with interest to the interview with the minister, she spoke of the importance of protecting sea grass matting (an iconic floor covering used extensively in the 70s). It must be of some heritage signifigance!
The minister is clearly not a bay user and is clearly out of her depth.

Shane Boese
31-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Following is a copy of a letter forwarded to me, that has been sent to the Minister for Environment and Multiculturalism.

Lets keep applying all the pressure we can and keep putting pen to paper to Ministers, Local MP's and the media.

We have everything to gain and nothing to lose at the moment given recent revelations on the "Areas of Interest"

Regards,
Shane Boese

To whom it may concern,

As boatie and recreational fisherman I enjoy the bay very regularly with my
family and friends.

I have read in your release that ‘at least’ 10% of the park will be set aside as
green zones. Surely since the areas that are truly worth fishing represent only
a tiny fraction of the bay’s surface area , and that the stated intention of this
review is to protect areas where fish congregate and breed ,one might
logically conclude that you only intend to set aside areas where people with
boats actually want to fish.

I listened to the minister on the radio early yesterday morning (on my way to
fishing) cheerfully say that ‘things will not be that bad, as the proposed 10%
area ban is not as much as the 30% ban on the barrier reef’. Virtually 100% of
the reef is actually fish habitat, therefore some 70% is still available for
recreational fishing etc. However most of Moreton bay consists of open areas
of water which some fish may use to travel from one area to another (as do
those of us with boats)but is not particularly useful for most types of fishing,
yet is still included in its total surface area.

My point is that to say up to 90% of the bay will be left untouched is
deliberately misleading. 10% of the total surface area of the bay could
probably neatly encompass nearly all of the favourite haunts of most
responsible recreational fishos.

Today I have seen an (expensive) full page newspaper advertisement for the
proposed closures, as well as hearing many radio advertisements featuring
actors pretending to be fisherman discussing how good the proposed
closures will be for them. Yes you may still be able to “drown a worm “from
the Redcliffe Jetty, or fish from the beach at Straddie but what about
everything else.

If it is all supposed to be that worthwhile, then why do you have to spend my
tax dollar on the propaganda?

If the same number of fisherman have far fewer places to fish ,then those
places will quickly become overcrowded and overfished.

Maybe it is the unstated intention of the EPA to discourage us from fishing by
making the legal areas so crowded that we just wont bother.

I am currently investigating the purchase of a new boat. This would be locally
made and sold. People in the sales and manufacture of boats will be kept
busy by people like me. I can honestly say that a final decision on the new
boat will depend on the outcome of this review. There will be no point
spending a good portion of our disposable income on something that we will
no longer be able to fully enjoy.

People are nervous because governments of all persuasions have a terrible
reputation for stuffing things up in the name of helping out, and this, frankly is
beginning to sound like one of those things.

Finally ,l wonder if the minister is a boat owner or fisherwoman? Does she
regularly enjoy the pink clouds before the sun rises over Moreton Island?
Does she share my joy at watching with pride as one of the kids single-
handedly lands their first little snapper?

Boaties are voters too, and I sincerely hope that this process is not a foregone
conclusion, and that our wishes are indeed taken into account.

Yours sincerely,

hondaguy
08-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi Shane, curious to how you are a commercial fisherman as stated in the letter up the top? I have seen your boat outside your tackle shop and never noticed the yellow and black numbers normally seen on pro. boats? or is do hold a worming licience? As you have stated in previous posts that you may running for a position in the future federal or state elections, as a possible voter in the future I am curious to know? Tell me it is none of my business if you like.

Shane Boese
08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi Shane, curious to how you are a commercial fisherman as stated in the letter up the top? I have seen your boat outside your tackle shop and never noticed the yellow and black numbers normally seen on pro. boats? or is do hold a worming licience? As you have stated in previous posts that you may running for a position in the future federal or state elections, as a possible voter in the future I am curious to know? Tell me it is none of my business if you like.

Hi Hondaguy

I no longer have a boat, but still hold a Commercial Harvest License. I have previously held licenses for Bloodworms as you assumed in addition to other collection licenses. Currently I hold a Commercial A Class and also a Commercial Harvest License for Yabbies.

Regards,
Shane Boese

hondaguy
08-09-2007, 08:59 PM
thanks for the reply, thought it may have been for bait. Not that I know what a comm. A Class is. Good to see you answers questions quickly and honestly, don't know how that will go in politics::) . Best of luck if you try for politics again

fishingjew
08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Very good letters shane I to will be looking forward to the response.

Shane Boese
08-09-2007, 09:21 PM
thanks for the reply, thought it may have been for bait. Not that I know what a comm. A Class is. Good to see you answers questions quickly and honestly, don't know how that will go in politics::) . Best of luck if you try for politics again

Hondaguy
I need a Commercial A Class lic to buy fresh product from other lic fisherman.
Mate I am and always will be a straight shooter no bull s**t here i tell it as i see it. Thanks for the support.

Regards Shane

coola
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Good luck shane! "The only thing that will shut down the bay is APATHY from the users

bushbeachboy
09-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Are St Helena, Mud, or Green Islands included as lockout areas? Can someone point me in the direction of a map of the proposed areas?

Shane Boese
09-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Are St Helena, Mud, or Green Islands included as lockout areas? Can someone point me in the direction of a map of the proposed areas?

The maps that you refer to can be found here. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=114444&page=2

Regards
Shane Boese