PDA

View Full Version : Townsville outboatrd service

Fisher4life
26-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi guys, just a quick question

I recently rang up a boat servicing place (well known) and asked to get my 40hp engine serviced, they told me the basic service cost was 380, plus at least 200 to tune or adjust the carbs.

Didn't sound right to me, for that price, i could buy a motor manual and all the parts and still have change for a new rod and reel.

Is that the usual cost for a outboard service, or can someone recommend another person/buisness??

Cheers
Josh

Dicko
27-08-2007, 08:58 AM
That seems excessive.

Try B & M outboards in Hugh Ryan Drive 4779-6569. They're pretty fair.

Matt_F
27-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi fisher4life,

That is a little dissapointing as I am about to get my 40hp Yamaha 2st serviced in Townsville too. Was that a 100 hr service you were quoted on? I have the contact details of a guy that ran a small buisness from home servicing outboards. He helped me fit the outboard to my boat when I bought it. I think he is a lot cheaper than the some of the retail outlets. He is fully qualified. I will be home in about a week so I will try and dig up his details.

Cheers,
Matt.

mikeyh
27-08-2007, 01:21 PM
HI Josh,
that seems pretty $$$$:( to me. 2 years back I had my 130 2str yammy serviced a number of times for annual (100hr) service at Rising Sun and it wasnt anything like that much. I was pretty happy with their work each time. As an ex mechanic (in my deep dark past ;) ) I would have throught a servive included tuning the carbs. My 130 had 4 of them and I was never charged extra for that. I would definately shop around.

cheers, Mike

Aeon
27-08-2007, 02:05 PM
:o :o :o That's attrocious! Don't be affraid to name names !

I'm about to try Tony's Outboard Marine - the mobile mechanic. I've heard he's ok.

whiteman
27-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I've tried just about all of them for my Yammy and I've gone full circle back to Rising Sun. It seems to me it depends on which guy does the work as to the quality rather than which business. My 6hp 4s Suzie cost as much to service as
my 115hp 2s Yammy last time which I thought a bit OTT.

The reason I've been to so many mechanics is cause it took 5 visits to different shops over an 18 month period to diagnose dirty carbs causing motor stalls - even when I insisted they check. 2nd time around Rising Sun fixed the problem and didn't charge as they missed it 1st time - and they used a different guy.

Good idea to get quotes before you get them to take off the cowling.

Fisher4life
27-08-2007, 08:05 PM
yeah thanks for that guys, i can gaurentee i won't be taking my boat anywhere near motor marine, It's goo to know from other's opinions that the price was a little too much

I'll just keep ringing around, going to call b & m, and also the mobile guy from what i'v been hearing.

Thanks again guys.

Fisher4life
28-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Rang up tony (the local mobile mechanic, and he's servicing the motor with parts and all labour for $220...
He's booked out for 3 week's so i take it he must be good if he has that much work ahead of him to do...

Once again, thanks all

Matt_F
28-08-2007, 09:30 PM
They are a bunch of thieves at motor marine. I drove to Cairns to buy my boat rather then from those guys. Saved myself nearly $1000 on the hull and trailer For the exact same brand.

I might give Tony a call too.

Cheers.

leezor
29-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I spoke to a bloke at work who had the 100hr service done on a pair of 275hp Verados by Motor Marine and said the bill came in at around $1000 each, ouch!

Aeon
11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I used mobile Tony recently for a service and again today to replace my throttle and gear cables and he was very thorough, quick and reasonably priced.... so I thought he deserved a plug.

Shanoss
11-10-2007, 04:04 PM
speaking of Motor Marine, I was quoted 2k more for a new trailer than any other shop.. They are a bit on the dear side

Alchemy
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I've booked the Fisher (200hp suzi 4s) and my tinnie (30hp johnno 2s) in to Leos Marine. I asked for an estimate, which was $250 for the suzi and about $120 for the johnno. Both prices seem fair. Only problem is that they are booked out for about 3 weeks.

Anyone here had experience with these guys?

Thanks,
Dave.

leezor
11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi Dave,

I bought my 225hp Suzuki from Leos, found them to be pretty good to deal with. Had them do the first service which was around the $240 mark. Am due for a 100hr service soon and will most likely take it back to them or the Ingham Suzuki dealer depending where my boat is at the time.
Which service are you due for on the Zook?

Lee

Alchemy
11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi Lee,

I've done about 400hrs, so its a 100hr service this time around. Great motor, hasn't missed a beat. The warranty is up in December (bought Dec '04), so good timing for this service.

Regards,
Dave.

Shanoss
12-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Leo's wont take any short cuts on your service. They will take ages to get around to it though. Even if you book it in, its never done on the day it was meant to be done. But other than that they are very thorough. And reasonably priced

Alchemy
12-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks Shanoss,

I've got the boats going in on a Monday in a few weeks time, so they can take all week if need be! Would prefer that they take their time and do a thorough job at a reasonable price.

Regards,
Dave.