PDA

View Full Version : Total closure Fraser Island

Just_chips
26-08-2007, 08:03 PM
A mate of mine was supposed to be heading up to Fraser this week with a heap of guys for their annual boys week. When they arrived at Rainbow beach to get their permits they were turned by the rangers and told that nobody would be accessing the island until further notice. These guys were lucky enough to have someone in the group who owns a holiday house at Iluka that is empty so they all headed down there for the next week.

Below is a statement from the EPA website and the link for the page.
Total closure

Due to current severe weather conditions and storm damage, the Fraser Island section of Great Sandy National Park is closed until conditions improve.

Visitors are advised that this closure applies to: all camping and day use areas, all walking tracks including the Fraser Island great walk, and all roads. For your safety, please do not enter these areas until further notice.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/display_news.cgi?newsid=1068&parkid=1

If your heading up in the next few days it would be strongly adviseable to have a backup plan in case the island stays closed. At the very least make some phone calls to the QPWS rangers at Rainbow for an update before you just lob up.

Cheers Kev

Awesome
26-08-2007, 08:16 PM
What a perfect time to be stuck on fraser,nobody to share a gutter with....
no backpakers to perve on.....no tourist buses.... nobody to pay your fees too....Eli Creek all to yourself....Your own tropicial Island......PERFECT!

wadeo
26-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Thats not good news.We are off up to fraser on our anual blokes trip on thursday 30th.Did they say how long it would be closed for and what day did they try and go?

Foxy4
26-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Hmmm all sounds a bit fishy too me. Wonder what they are playing at up there now?

Greg P
26-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Gibbo !!!!!!!! ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

Tassie JR
26-08-2007, 09:45 PM
geez the barge operaters wont like this they are losing a week or 2's work. do you know if they are still letting people off the island?

cheers tassie JR

cuzzamundi
26-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I cant imagine it'd be shut for more than a few days surely! as has been said, the barge operators and tourist mob will be losing big time...i too agree, i'd like to know what's going on with the epa.

cuzza

loophole
26-08-2007, 10:32 PM
what if u bypass the rangers station at rainbow and go down 2 inskip to see if the barges are runing

wadeo
26-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah we got our permits weeks ago so no need to stop at ranger station. can't see it being closed for too long. Hopefully barges are running though or we can't even get on the island. Surely it will be open by thursday.

Wadeo

Alchemy
26-08-2007, 10:42 PM
A mate of mine was supposed to be heading up to Fraser this week with a heap of guys for their annual boys week. When they arrived at Rainbow beach to get their permits they were turned by the rangers and told that nobody would be accessing the island until further notice. These guys were lucky enough to have someone in the group who owns a holiday house at Iluka that is empty so they all headed down there for the next week.

Below is a statement from the EPA website and the link for the page.
Total closure

Due to current severe weather conditions and storm damage, the Fraser Island section of Great Sandy National Park is closed until conditions improve.

Visitors are advised that this closure applies to: all camping and day use areas, all walking tracks including the Fraser Island great walk, and all roads. For your safety, please do not enter these areas until further notice.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/display_news.cgi?newsid=1068&parkid=1

If your heading up in the next few days it would be strongly adviseable to have a backup plan in case the island stays closed. At the very least make some phone calls to the QPWS rangers at Rainbow for an update before you just lob up.

Cheers Kev

What about the access from the barges at River Heads and Urangan to Moon Point. Surely these areas haven't been affected by the recent weather? I can understand the eastern beach being in a bad way, but why not head up Platypus Bay and camp around Awinya, then sneak over the other side...

Is Don Is GOOD
27-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Rangers are getting into some big tailor...... ::) :D

Donnan

Just_chips
27-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Well that didn't last long. Here is the new statement from the EPA website.

Reopening of Fraser Island

Due to improved weather conditions and a large clean up operation, the Fraser Island section of Great Sandy National Park has reopened. The Hook Point inland road and Dillinghams Road are currently closed whilst roadworks are undertaken.

Visitors to the area should be cautious when accessing the roads, beaches and walking tracks.

Just_chips
27-08-2007, 05:14 PM
What about the access from the barges at River Heads and Urangan to Moon Point. Surely these areas haven't been affected by the recent weather? I can understand the eastern beach being in a bad way, but why not head up Platypus Bay and camp around Awinya, then sneak over the other side...

I think some of the problem may have been trees on tracks etc. If this was the case the barges that drop you at Moon point may not have helped as you would have encountered problems crossing the island.

Anyway all seems good now so everyone (including myself as I go in 3 weeks) can stop panicking. ;D

Cheers Kev.

loophole
27-08-2007, 07:27 PM
thank god..

Dirtysanchez
28-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I called my mate who lives at River heads, and he said the barges never stopped going across, but he did note that the frequency of trips over and back had dropped off, and it was mostly workers who seemed to be coming and going, so it was probably just a safety precaution, or as said, access via some tracks was limited due to storm damage

chiefsimo
28-08-2007, 09:24 PM
apparently lots of debries washed up and plenty of tyre punctures as a result. should make for some nice gutters in a few days time...

chisel
30-08-2007, 10:20 PM
We had a big camping trip planned for the 25th (originally 24th but postponed due to weather). Found out on the Friday arvo that it was closed - went south to Yuraygir Nat Pk and had a great time anyway.